upgrade from ath-m50's with more mids and deeper bass?
Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kekeli

New Head-Fier
hi,
well i recently got the ath-m50's as the majority of people on here seemed to be recommending them. I got them and was very pleased with them however now I'm looking for an upgrade and i live in Sydney,Australia and it is very hard to audition headphones out here so if anyone knows any headphones with much better mids and deeper bass and also not much bigger than the m50's as i use them on the smallest size setting that would be wonderful.

p.s i could live without the deeper bass if it is at least equal to the m50's 

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 23
If you are looking for a better sound in a closed hp, you might take a look at maddogs by Mr. Speakers. You'll need a decent desktop amp to get the best sound from them though. 

I'm hearing very good things about the Soundmagic hp100 which also fits your description. I have not heard it personally though.

gL!!

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 23
I listened to M50's and HP100's the other day.

I quite liked the HP100's and preferred them the the AT's. More comfy and a more open expansive and detailed sound (without bass loss, although not really noticably stronger bass than the AT's).

They are a bit 'big' looking and a little plasticy for my liking, but the sound is pretty good!

They may fit your requirement from a 'sound' standpoint...

Beyers are mega comfy and 770's are worth a listen, but I did find the sound a tiny bit flat. Just needed a touch more sparkle.

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
I listened to M50's and HP100's the other day.

I quite liked the HP100's and preferred them the the AT's. More comfy and a more open expansive and detailed sound (without bass loss, although not really noticably stronger bass than the AT's).

They are a bit 'big' looking and a little plasticy for my liking, but the sound is pretty good!

They may fit your requirement from a 'sound' standpoint...

Beyers are mega comfy and 770's are worth a listen, but I did find the sound a tiny bit flat. Just needed a touch more sparkle.

I hear that you can overcome the 770 lacking in the highs with a good brightish amp.......

yay 100th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 23
Ultrasone HFI-580.

Much better mids, with much more bass rumble, and at the same time, have less of a bass veil when music isn't bassy. Soundstage is also pretty nice for a closed headphone.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 23
thanks for all your replies,

the beyers, sound magics and mad dogs are all more bulky than the m50's:/ the pro700mk2's i had tried before i got the m50's in the states but they had TOO much bass. I have been considering the 580's though ive heard the highs are really sharp on them but ive heard the same thing about the m50's highs but they seem fine to me so how do the highs on the 580's compare to the m50's?

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 23
I never really thought the highs were all that sharp on the HFI-580's. They are a little elevated, but it just gives them a nice sparkly sound. They're not nearly as bad as, say, the HFI-780's, and even the much more expensive Pro 750's have harsher highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back