Upgrade from AKG Q701+Magni 1+Sound Blaster Z
Dec 29, 2018 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

uziyourillusion

New Head-Fier
I've been running this setup for about 5 years. Its done well for me a while, but I feel I'm read to step it up and upgrade. I'm just not sure if I should keep my headphones and upgrade my amp and dac, or just the amp or what...

I think I might be wanting something more "fun" sounding with a bit more low end, if that makes any sense. A bit less fatiguing on the high end also.

My uses are mostly for music. Orchestrated movie sound tracks, classic rock like Queen, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, etc. Some gaming as well.

I'd prefer open back and a decently wide soundstage, the Q701s have me spoiled there. I also have a pair of HD 598s and they feel a bit too closed in, but I really enjoy its sound signature. If I could marry these two and have a combination of the two, I think I would be happy with that.

No complaints with my amp or sound card, other than my sound card gives of a bit of pink noise, but not too bad. Are there any reasons to consider upgrading my amp, especially to something tube? I've sorta a blank slate here with not a lot of experience with hifi gear and no where to try it out. I guess I'm just asking for an excuse to buy new things lol.

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 11
I've been running this setup for about 5 years. Its done well for me a while, but I feel I'm read to step it up and upgrade. I'm just not sure if I should keep my headphones and upgrade my amp and dac, or just the amp or what...
I think I might be wanting something more "fun" sounding with a bit more low end, if that makes any sense. A bit less fatiguing on the high end also.
My uses are mostly for music. Orchestrated movie sound tracks, classic rock like Queen, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, etc. Some gaming as well.
I'd prefer open back and a decently wide soundstage, the Q701s have me spoiled there. I also have a pair of HD 598s and they feel a bit too closed in, but I really enjoy its sound signature. If I could marry these two and have a combination of the two, I think I would be happy with that.
No complaints with my amp or sound card, other than my sound card gives of a bit of pink noise, but not too bad. Are there any reasons to consider upgrading my amp, especially to something tube? I've sorta a blank slate here with not a lot of experience with hifi gear and no where to try it out. I guess I'm just asking for an excuse to buy new things lol.
Do you plug the Magni into the SB-Z's headphone jack or the SB-Z's front speaker jack.
Technically the front speaker jack is better at sending a signal to the Magni, but it bypasses the SB-Z's SBX Headphone surround sound.
I think your way better off getting another set of headphones, then replacing the Magni or SB-Z.
Check out the Soundmagic HP200 headphones, have a more fiesta sound, over the HD598 more neutral sound.

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 11

Burson Conductor and maybe the AKG K812 or maybe Focal Elear. Use SPDIF to connect the soundcard to the Conductor.

Dec 30, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 11
would it be worth upgrading to a Schiit Valhalla? I understand even the Magni 3 has had a lot of improvement over the original Magni.
I think your better off buying another headphone, something to offer a different sound, from the Q701, like the Soundmagic HP200

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 11
I think your better off buying another headphone, something to offer a different sound, from the Q701, like the Soundmagic HP200
Appreciate the suggestion, but I have a bigger budget to spend than that. Anything in the $3-500 range? Not looking to spend money just for the sake of it, but if there's better quality in the price, I dont mind spending it.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Appreciate the suggestion, but I have a bigger budget to spend than that. Anything in the $3-500 range? Not looking to spend money just for the sake of it, but if there's better quality in the price, I don't mind spending it.
Is the Magni connected to the SB-Z's headphone jack or the SB-Z's front speaker jacks?
Do you use the SB-Z's SBX Headphone surround sound feature?
Or are you more into music (2.0 audio)?

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 11
Is the Magni connected to the SB-Z's headphone jack or the SB-Z's front speaker jacks?
Do you use the SB-Z's SBX Headphone surround sound feature?
Or are you more into music (2.0 audio)?

I use the speaker jack on the rear, although, I can't notice a difference between either the headphone jack or the speaker jack. I use SBX surround sound on a case by case basis. Some songs I enjoy using it, others not so much. I do really like it for gaming, though.

Also, if I may, I'd like to ask for a suggestion for a 2nd headphone(still looking for suggestions for a new "main" headphone for my main listening). This other headphone I would like something easy to drive, relatively cheap(sub-$200). Its main uses would be for playing on the Nintendo Switch. I was considering the Hifiman HE4XX, I've read those are pretty easy to drive off mobile devices.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 11
I use the speaker jack on the rear, although, I can't notice a difference between either the headphone jack or the speaker jack. I use SBX surround sound on a case by case basis. Some songs I enjoy using it, others not so much. I do really like it for gaming, though.

Also, if I may, I'd like to ask for a suggestion for a 2nd headphone(still looking for suggestions for a new "main" headphone for my main listening). This other headphone I would like something easy to drive, relatively cheap(sub-$200). Its main uses would be for playing on the Nintendo Switch. I was considering the Hifiman HE4XX, I've read those are pretty easy to drive off mobile devices.
My suggestion is to get an external DAC with optical input, like this $60 DAC from Hifimediy.
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/SPDIF-9018-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC
So PC/SB-Z > DAC > Magni
As the SB-Z can send it's SBX Headphone thru the optical port, never have to plug headphones into the SB-Z's headphone jack again.
The Hifiman HE4XX looks like a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back