Upgrade for HD580?
Jun 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Volarious

New Head-Fier
New member here, please be gentle :)

I have done a little bit of research already on the topic, but would just like some more opinions as I can't seem to find a place to demo listen to the various higher end headphones.

Currently, I have a Sennheiser HD580 with HD650 cables for the past 6 years. It has served me well, and with even just the FiiO E9 amp and Stryker sound card (for DAC), I'm quite satisfied with its sound.

From what I gathered, most people who has/had HD580 would either upgrade the amp, upgrade to a higher Sennheiser series, or both.

However, since I've been listening to the same sound signature for so long, I would like to try listening to some other brand of headphones. I listen to a wide variety of music, but lately and in the foreseeable future I will probably be listening to just rock/alternative/pop/classical.

I've tried the HD595, and although I do like the stronger bass, I seem to get ear fatigue much easier than the HD580. In fact, I can't use it for more than 2 hours straight, compare to a whole day with HD580. So when upgrading, I would definitely prefer something that allows long term single session use.

With a budget about $300, which brand/model headphone should I look into that is an upgrade AND has a different sound signature that can be driven by the FiiO E-9? Also, how much of a difference will E-7 make as a DAC?

As a side note: does HD598 sounds almost exactly the same as HD595 or there is a discernable difference?

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Unfortunately, a $300 budget probably isn't realistic to upgrade from the HD 580. Things have changed a lot in the last decade. :xf_eek:

My first suggestion is the Koss ESP/950 (and if I'm responsible for the price inflation on them, even in part, oh well) - they take everything the Sennheisers do and do it better. If you don't want to spring for those, the AKG K701 (or whatever variant thereof) is another good choice - it's more of a sidestep, but they will at least satisfy the "different signature" desire of your purchase. They also fit into your budget. They'll probably be more detailed/analytical but you'll give up some bass. Finally, the Sony MDR-SA5000 (if you can find one) would be my last suggestion - they will be an upgrade in terms of overall fidelity, and imho are kind of a "bridge" between the high-end dynamic sound (like the HD 580) and electrostatics. They're very quick, and very engaging, but they don't get fatiguing or shrill unless you get happy with an EQ. They recently ended production though, so finding them might be a bit of a challenge, especially if you don't want used headphones. The closest alternative I could name would be the Ultrasone PRO2900, but those can get into "shrill" territory with a little coaxing (and they cost more).

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 5
Ouch, looks like I did not realize the value of HD580. I believe I've gotten it brand new for less than $200, and now a clear upgrade easily requires $400+...I understand diminishing returns, but to see even a side-grade costing $250 really shows how inflation works.

Thank you so much for the advices. From the looks of it I should probably save up for Koss - I'd rather not spend money on incremental upgrades, rather just do it in one step. Also, since I've never heard it before, how does electrostatics headphone such as Koss compare with something more traditional like Sennheiser HD700 (same price range)?

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 5
I have been trying to find an upgrade to my 580 without breaking the bank....and have found none. Look at my signature below to see my journey through mid-fi. The 580 stands the test of time and really still stands above a lot of modern headphones. Senn really nailed it with the 580/600 and I hope they never go out of production.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Ouch, looks like I did not realize the value of HD580. I believe I've gotten it brand new for less than $200, and now a clear upgrade easily requires $400+...I understand diminishing returns, but to see even a side-grade costing $250 really shows how inflation works.

Thank you so much for the advices. From the looks of it I should probably save up for Koss - I'd rather not spend money on incremental upgrades, rather just do it in one step. Also, since I've never heard it before, how does electrostatics headphone such as Koss compare with something more traditional like Sennheiser HD700 (same price range)?

No idea on the HD 700 - they're very new. The ESP/950 hold their own with most top-tier headphones though; maybe the SR-009 or something like that has a clear-cut advantage, but consider what you're talking about there. Against the dynamics I have heard in the $500-$1000 range, I think the ESP/950 easily hold their own if not edge them out (at least technically). You might check in the HD 700 thread though, again, it's a very new hp. I think the issue you might run into though is being able to find people who have heard both and compared them; again, just because the HD 700 is new and the ESP/950 is somewhat older (the HD 700 came out either this year or very late last year, the ESP/950 came out in 1990 or 1991 - it's not "hip" or "trendy" anymore, and gets overlooked quite easily). Since we're at that price range, you might also look at a STAX, but you'll have to ask someone else about that too (I don't mean to be "passing the buck" - the ESP/950 is just where I landed from the HD 580 and K701, and I figured I'd share that; personally I'm satisfied with it, but you shouldn't exclude all other options when you aren't married to anything at the moment). I think the SRS-2170 is actually cheaper than the 950 now.

Slaughter,

I'd have to agree with you. The 580 is really a special headphone - there's very few cans that can stand at it's level or above it (and many of them are discontinued or more expensive).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back