Upgrade for Audeze LCD-3?
Oct 29, 2019 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am enjoying a pair of LCD-3's which have most recently have returned from Audeze for driver replacements. This time 2019 the headphones sound better than ever but I am wondering what would be a nice upgrade from my LCD-3's? The LCD-4's seem like they may be contenders but I've read too much about treble disparities so I am hesitant not to mention the exchange rate in Canada would make them a $6000 CDN headphones. For that kind of scratch I thought I'd research. Any help would be appreciated. I should mention my amp is an Auralic Taurus MK2 which I like and I am using PS Audio for transport and dac. Perfectwave not Directstream. I like my audio but I must wonder what a headphones upgrade could do. The rest of my system is a Pass x250.5 amp and Pass X1pre with Hales T5's speakers connected with Cardas Golden Reference cables everywhere for signal cables and my AC is with Shunyata Hydras and a variety of ac cables.As nice as my headphone setup is for what it is my Pass-Hales setup is quite a lot nicer than my headphone setup. My phones sound good but my speakers sound better! What would be a nice upgrade to my headgear?

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 4
I've owned LCD3s for many years and recently added a Focal Utopia. For me, the Utopia offers a good alternative with a great but different sound profile. If you have the chance, audition one to see if you like it.

I thought about the LCD4, but while better than the LCD3, it was quite similar in presentation.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 4
I also recently bought a Focal Utopia. Outstanding headphone! Highly recommended it.

Around the same time I bought a graphic equalizer to mate with my Audeze LCD-3 Classic. Although I prefer headphones that do not need EQ, IMO the the treble from the LCD-3C is overly represses. Once I raised the treble slight (slight increase at 2k and slope up through +1 1/2 db added to 8k), it is close to as full a sound as the Utopia, but with more base and a bigger soundstage. Now I cannot decide which I like better. Plus my LCD-3 “upgrade” was much cheaper than the Utopia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back