1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade for Audeze LCD-3?

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by mitchb, Oct 29, 2019.
  1. mitchb
    Hi, I am enjoying a pair of LCD-3's which have most recently have returned from Audeze for driver replacements. This time 2019 the headphones sound better than ever but I am wondering what would be a nice upgrade from my LCD-3's? The LCD-4's seem like they may be contenders but I've read too much about treble disparities so I am hesitant not to mention the exchange rate in Canada would make them a $6000 CDN headphones. For that kind of scratch I thought I'd research. Any help would be appreciated. I should mention my amp is an Auralic Taurus MK2 which I like and I am using PS Audio for transport and dac. Perfectwave not Directstream. I like my audio but I must wonder what a headphones upgrade could do. The rest of my system is a Pass x250.5 amp and Pass X1pre with Hales T5's speakers connected with Cardas Golden Reference cables everywhere for signal cables and my AC is with Shunyata Hydras and a variety of ac cables.As nice as my headphone setup is for what it is my Pass-Hales setup is quite a lot nicer than my headphone setup. My phones sound good but my speakers sound better! What would be a nice upgrade to my headgear?

2. Oscar-HiFi
    HiFiMan Susvara :wink: get them and never look back.

3. bfreedma
    I've owned LCD3s for many years and recently added a Focal Utopia. For me, the Utopia offers a good alternative with a great but different sound profile. If you have the chance, audition one to see if you like it.

I thought about the LCD4, but while better than the LCD3, it was quite similar in presentation.

4. XLR1
    I also recently bought a Focal Utopia. Outstanding headphone! Highly recommended it.

Around the same time I bought a graphic equalizer to mate with my Audeze LCD-3 Classic. Although I prefer headphones that do not need EQ, IMO the the treble from the LCD-3C is overly represses. Once I raised the treble slight (slight increase at 2k and slope up through +1 1/2 db added to 8k), it is close to as full a sound as the Utopia, but with more base and a bigger soundstage. Now I cannot decide which I like better. Plus my LCD-3 “upgrade” was much cheaper than the Utopia.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019