Upgrade Cable For IE8
Jun 22, 2013 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wingtsun

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I know this has been covered in other threads but most that I can find are older threads and I'm pretty sure things have moved along since those. I've just picked up a new set of IE8s which will be paired with my RSA Predator via audio out from the iPad when I'm travelling. I'd like to grab an upgrade cable for the IE8s but I'm unsure which to go for. I don't want to get silly and spend 4 times what the IEMs are worth but I don't want to buy a cable that just looks better than the OEM cable. 

Last time I upgraded a cable it was for my HD650s years ago. I tried a few solid silver cables and a few others and eventually settled on the Carda cable for that rig as it just seemed quite natural and silky to me compared with the brighter silver cables. Maybe that gives you an idea of what kind of sound I prefer.

Could anyone guide me towards a good cable for the IE8 for around $150 or less. I saw some mention in one thread of the Toxic cables and someone mentioned a great cable that was well put together, sounded great and was cheap. I've looked on their website and the only one I can find for an IE8 is £155 ($240).

Any advice would be most appreciated, especially from those with Predators or RSA amps.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 4
there are a few people on here that make cables. ted (teds headfood) and chrishimself (chrishimself) they are headphone lounge. they can custom make you a cable for a very reasonable price.

there is also BTG_AUDIO he make excellent cables for very reasonable prices..

you might want to check them out. im sure depending on what wire source and connectors ect those 3 should be well under your budget.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Brilliant, that's appreciated. The sites don't seem to say much about the characteristics of each cable, though. Based on my first post does anyone have any recommendations re. tonal qualities?

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Well, having studied the various cables I'm going to try Ted's hybrid. Thanks for the help, Moose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back