*Updated with impressions* NEW Silver IEM cable, 93spec
Oct 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #20 of 36
It doesn't usually; but if there's a huge difference in how it's manufactured, it can either give a tiny bit better signal transmission, or a tiny bit more resistance which can change freq response. Otherwise it's placebo.

Quote:
Sorry for being a noob but how does a different cable help the audio quality? Is it because they provide different resistance?

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:
It doesn't usually; but if there's a huge difference in how it's manufactured, it can either give a tiny bit better signal transmission, or a tiny bit more resistance which can change freq response. Otherwise it's placebo.

Thats not really true! From my experience, when I tried out the different cables, despite having different materials providing different kinds of sounds, the quality of the cable (I'm guessing cos of the resistance or the way they make it) really makes a big difference in the quality of the presentation of your IEMs! But I guess you have to have a pair of IEMs that don't limit the potential of your cable as well!

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #22 of 36
It would only be from slightly better transmission, slightly more resistance, or from not wanting your shiny new purchase to be a waste of money -- in increasing order of likelihood. And the cable would have to be much, much different from what you're currently using (much thinner, much shorter, much longer, much thicker, many more strands, wired completely differently, etc.) to have any chance of the first two possibilities.

Quote:
Thats not really true! From my experience, when I tried out the different cables, despite having different materials providing different kinds of sounds, the quality of the cable (I'm guessing cos of the resistance or the way they make it) really makes a big difference in the quality of the presentation of your IEMs! But I guess you have to have a pair of IEMs that don't limit the potential of your cable as well!

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:
It would only be from slightly better transmission, slightly more resistance, or from not wanting your shiny new purchase to be a waste of money -- in increasing order of likelihood. And the cable would have to be much, much different from what you're currently using (much thinner, much shorter, much longer, much thicker, many more strands, wired completely differently, etc.) to have any chance of the first two possibilities.

Haha why the negativity you're really hostile btw:p? I've been down there trying out the different cables, and the cables I preferred were the least expensive of the lot! The cables with the highest price tag, the TWag and TWcu for the respective materials were nowhere close to the other cables I tried! So I'm quite sure its not cos I wanted my purchase to be a waste of money, just that maybe you don't seem to see the differences if you have actually tried the different cables out in the first place!:) But they really do make a difference in what you hear, not just in terms of the physical aspects that definitely help create this difference in terms of sound because of the way they make it, or the material, or the quality of the material, or the connectors used! 

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #24 of 36
What's hostile about what I said? I'm just presenting something about psychology and electricity that you seem to be unaware of; I have no intention for you to take it personally. I have experience making my own cables and have used and listened to dozens of types of wire/plug/amplifier/IEM/etc combinations. I would love it if I could eke out more quality from my IEMs/headphones just by using a separate but similar cable -- but electricity doesn't work that way. The brain does at times, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Quote:
Haha why the negativity you're really hostile btw:p? I've been down there trying out the different cables, and the cables I preferred were the least expensive of the lot! The cables with the highest price tag, the TWag and TWcu for the respective materials were nowhere close to the other cables I tried! So I'm quite sure its not cos I wanted my purchase to be a waste of money, just that maybe you don't seem to see the differences if you have actually tried the different cables out in the first place!:) But they really do make a difference in what you hear, not just in terms of the physical aspects that definitely help create this difference in terms of sound because of the way they make it, or the material, or the quality of the material, or the connectors used! 

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:
What's hostile about what I said? I'm just presenting something about psychology and electricity that you seem to be unaware of; I have no intention for you to take it personally. I have experience making my own cables and have used and listened to dozens of types of wire/plug/amplifier/IEM/etc combinations. I would love it if I could eke out more quality from my IEMs/headphones just by using a separate but similar cable -- but electricity doesn't work that way. The brain does at times, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Haha its hostile in the sense that you're pretty sure ur right and aren't willing to consider any other point of opinion! Haha, I do agree sometimes there is a placebo, same thing with the purchase of IEMs as well, but I guess it depends on how well you can objectively separate what you hear from what you think you hear. I guess the best evidence for you would be an objective testing of the IEM cables without the name or type of cable being known to the person! But I guess to me, when I tried the DHC and the TWcu, same material, but I could obviously hear alot less sibilance in the DHC as compared to the TWcu. It was the kind of difference if I were to compare apple earbuds and an earsonics SM3s, in terms of sibilance of the highs. To me its a difference that large that is why I can confidently say that it really was a large difference, and similarly the same effect was heard for the TWag and 93spec comparison

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #26 of 36
Not to belabor the placebo or not effect. Went to a demo many years ago at a local hi fi store. The guys from NHT (speaker company) were there and had a room set up with their top of the line speakers (two sets, side by side) and a really high quality source setup. One set was wired with $200 per foot ultra high end (for the time) speaker wire. The other speakers were wired with what they termed "lamp cord". They actually offered a $10,000 "reward" for anyone who could guess which was the expensive wire 10 out of 10 times. All kinds of "audiophiles" showed up. Some with these funky little cardboard ear extenders (for lack of a better term). Yeah you guessed it. Nobody won the cash. The guys from NHT said they had been to over 1500 audio stores and as yet had not had anyone win. FWIW

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #28 of 36
Funny how some people just think cables don't make a difference when they don't even know the differences between them... Do you know what OCC means? Do you know about basic chemistry regarding purity and conductivity of the elemets? In the meanwhile, why not have an open mind and think "hey, maybe cables will make a difference for me". I know a friend. this friend got me to buy the DHC Symbiote SE, and he actually said the difference was VERY noticeable and effective with his Westone ES5. The ES5 was generally muffled sounding, but using pure OCC copper cables from DHC just OPENED things up enough for him to listen to the ES5 once again. Again, this is not backed up by actual graphs and experiments, but it's always up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay whatever amount for whatever cable. I never believed in cables because I was just plain ignorant. I wasn't aware of OCC, OFC, and other "types" of Copper purity and I just blankly judged. It only takes one audition to know if it makes a difference or not, and that's what I did. For me, it made my UM SCL3X sound even more detailed, and brought forth the bass a bit, and even toned down the treble a tad bit that makes all the difference. Now I'm waiting for the cable to be my very own and I will quite literally buy more OCC cables in the near future. Not convinced? Check out DHCs site about OCC and copper purity, quite convincing.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:
Hi! Has anyone tested the SPEC93 with UM recessed sockets? What's the fit like?

Hey there! Nope so sorry I haven't tried them with recessed sockets, but when I tried the cables out, the plugs looked like this,
So I'm guessing the fit of the plugs should be quite snug in your recessed sockets!:) I'm q sure you can email stage93 for dimensions if you need them too!

Quote:
Funny how some people just think cables don't make a difference when they don't even know the differences between them... Do you know what OCC means? Do you know about basic chemistry regarding purity and conductivity of the elemets? In the meanwhile, why not have an open mind and think "hey, maybe cables will make a difference for me". I know a friend. this friend got me to buy the DHC Symbiote SE, and he actually said the difference was VERY noticeable and effective with his Westone ES5. The ES5 was generally muffled sounding, but using pure OCC copper cables from DHC just OPENED things up enough for him to listen to the ES5 once again. Again, this is not backed up by actual graphs and experiments, but it's always up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay whatever amount for whatever cable. I never believed in cables because I was just plain ignorant. I wasn't aware of OCC, OFC, and other "types" of Copper purity and I just blankly judged. It only takes one audition to know if it makes a difference or not, and that's what I did. For me, it made my UM SCL3X sound even more detailed, and brought forth the bass a bit, and even toned down the treble a tad bit that makes all the difference. Now I'm waiting for the cable to be my very own and I will quite literally buy more OCC cables in the near future. Not convinced? Check out DHCs site about OCC and copper purity, quite convincing.

Hmm! Sounds really cool man!:) and I totally agree, despite the negative views on how cables don't make a difference i'm pretty sure my ears don't lie to me in what I heard that day when I auditioned those cables! 

So I guess to Shockdoc and Astroturf we'll just have to agree to disagree! Anyway there's alot of debate in audio anyway!

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #30 of 36
Quote:
Hey there! Nope so sorry I haven't tried them with recessed sockets, but when I tried the cables out, the plugs looked like this,

That photo is photoshop'ed btw, the left looks exactly as the right, though made to be slightly darker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back