Updated Shure Range: Guidance?
Mar 2, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Entropic

Head-Fier
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've bought a new set of headphones.

I have a pair of Shure E2c. At the time the E5c was the top of the range but that seems to be discontinued too. However I've noticed that the Shure range has completely changed since I last seriously investigated.

There seems to be a large confusing array of 6 different models (SE102/110/115/210/310/420/530). Does anyone have any recommendations for use with an iPod Nano 3rd Gen?

Does the bassport and double or triple speakers really make a big difference? Will they be overkill if I'm just using an iPod?

Entropic

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 19
It's never overkill, and the bassport, dual & triple drivers do make a big difference.

Please do tell us what you are looking for in sound and what your budget is
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 19
In terms of 'overkill' I was trying to allude to the fact that any system is going to be as good as the weakest link. I'm assuming that iPods are not the best sources so I was wondering if the 530 would really be worth the extra money given that I will never hook them up to a hi-quality source.

As for what I'm looking for... that's a bit more bass than what I'm getting from my Ety ER4Ps.

The last triple driver IEM I looked at was the Shure ER5C which had a massive 110 Ohm impedance. However, I've just realised that the SE530 is only 36 Ohm so it would match the iPod impedance much better.

I'm getting my info from the Shure website comparison chart.

Budget is a concern; however I need to be convinced that £330 for the SE530 is really worth the extra money over £100 for the SE210.

Mar 2, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 19
I've auditioned the E500 (SE530) and SE 310 210 110. They all sounded different. With the top end having the best mids and detail. If you just want entry level, the 210 and the 310 are good enough, for me they differ in the amount of bass, so just audition them and see which flavor you like
smily_headphones1.gif
These two will have more bass than the er4s, though they aren't etys with more bass.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of 'overkill' I was trying to allude to the fact that any system is going to be as good as the weakest link. I'm assuming that iPods are not the best sources so I was wondering if the 530 would really be worth the extra money given that I will never hook them up to a hi-quality source.

As for what I'm looking for... that's a bit more bass than what I'm getting from my Ety ER4Ps.

The last triple driver IEM I looked at was the Shure ER5C which had a massive 110 Ohm impedance. However, I've just realised that the SE530 is only 36 Ohm so it would match the iPod impedance much better.

I'm getting my info from the Shure website comparison chart.

Budget is a concern; however I need to be convinced that £330 for the SE530 is really worth the extra money over £100 for the SE210.

oh yes they are worth it just being driven off an ipod and they will give you more bass than you are getting from the er4.

budget wise you can get the 530 for a lot less than £330, about £200 shouldnt be hard to find

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 19
I think when you're coming from the ER4's, you might want to take a look at the SE420 if you want little more bass. If you want alot more bass, you might want to take the SE530
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 19
Recently upgraded from 420's to 530's and the sound is much more detailed and worth the extra 100 bucks here in Canada.

Just my opinion.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks all

I've been scanning the boards for comparisons and Ety vs Shure debate is still as hot as ever
ksc75smile.gif
. I get the impression from the various posts that their sound signatures are the main difference. The arguments seem to focus on which is better on the highs, mids or bass respectively.

Also, I noticed an interesting assertion that the Shures are a lot more comfortable. However I've not had a real problem with the Etys (apart from when lying in bed... if I roll my head sideways, my pillow sometimes puts pressure on the earphone, that can hurt!)

Ideally I want to try a pair of Shure 530s, however none of the shops have IEMs on display to try out... a good thing too from a hygiene prospective
biggrin.gif

Entropic

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 19
advancedmp3players.co.uk have an outlet in Edinburgh and when I popped along they had a Shure branded case with the full range of headphones. They were happy to give me a new set of foamies and work through the range. I walked away with a pair of SE530PTHs for a very good price!

I am s"h"ure other hi end hi fi dealers must have a similar demo kit? Maybe Shure UK could say who has one as I would imagine if they have given these to dealers they want to make sure they get used.

You could always get a cheapy flight up to Edinburgh and go check them out!

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 19
Aerotec, since you have the SE530PTH can you tell me what you think of this "Push To Hear" gadget?

Is it worth the extra GBP£10-20 or so for a switch to let you hear the outside world? Or is it just a bit of a gimmick?

Entropic

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 19
Hi all,

Does anyone have a recommended places to try out the Shure range in London, England?

I think I'm going to audition them for myself and see which one I like.

From what I can read they are both very good and the difference seems to be more down to the music you like and the personal preference. Barring argumenets about amps I think it's easier for me to just listen to the damm things!

Entropic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back