Updated Mapletree EAR++ III
Mar 2, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #16 of 64
"FWIW, Dr. Lloyd thought that the tube with the biggest impact on the sound quality would be the 5751. He did not seem to think that tube rolling the other tubes would make a big difference in sound. If my ears agree, this would be quite an affordable set-up."

This is something of interest to me. Since I spent some time yesterday researching the 5751 / 12ax7 tubes. Having only one tube that effects the sound in a significant way, is good, since it eliminates variables and is more economical than swapping out several tubes.

. . . . What color combination are you getting? Are you getting any options beyond the stock model? I have e-mailed Dr. Lloyd several times with questions, will likely give him call sometime soon.

- augustwest

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"FWIW, Dr. Lloyd thought that the tube with the biggest impact on the sound quality would be the 5751. He did not seem to think that tube rolling the other tubes would make a big difference in sound. If my ears agree, this would be quite an affordable set-up."

This is something of interest to me. Since I spent some time yesterday researching the 5751 / 12ax7 tubes. Having only one tube that effects the sound in a significant way, is good, since it eliminates variables and is more economical than swapping out several tubes.

. . . . What color combination are you getting? Are you getting any options beyond the stock model? I have e-mailed Dr. Lloyd several times with questions, will likely give him call sometime soon.

- augustwest

My EAR++ (I do love the sound of that phrase
rolleyes.gif
) will be black with no wood side panels and a flush face plate. WAF was a big factor in this decision since the amp will be sitting on top of our stereo cabinet in the middle of our living room. I must say that I do like the red chasis if you want something "showy".

Technically Dr. Lloyd is considering my unit a version II, but it was the prototype for the new version III, so it most closely resembles that model. Mine will have an extra input (4 total), only one headphone jack, and a gain switch (2 or 3 position with mute). It will also have Black Gate caps, but no other performance upgrades. Also, It will have a custom volume control which I will post more about later.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 64
"WAF was a big factor in this decision since the amp will be sitting on top of our stereo cabinet in the middle of our living room. I must say that I do like the red chasis if you want something "showy".

The wife should be happy with whatever color you get as long as it keeps you out of the "Lusty Lady" on the way home from work.*

(*I'm assuming you are in the Seattle area)

- augustwest

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

"WAF was a big factor in this decision since the amp will be sitting on top of our stereo cabinet in the middle of our living room. I must say that I do like the red chasis if you want something "showy".

The wife should be happy with whatever color you get as long as it keeps you out of the "Lusty Lady" on the way home from work.*

(*I'm assuming you are in the Seattle area)

- augustwest

That's funny, I catch my evening bus home directly across the street from The Lusty Lady (Its where the bus route begins). I'm OK so long as I do not refer to it as my bust stop!!
eek.gif
Now that would be a Freudian slip if there ever was one. You know what a Freudian slip is? Its when you say one thing, but mean your mother.
icon10.gif

On a side note, I just scored some 12BH7A tubes from a seller today. It was a bit of a risk for me as I usually buy from The Tube Store, but he had good feedback on Audiogon so I thought I would take a chance. Hopefully I'll have them early next week.

Wave the next time you are spying on me from The Lusty Lady!!
evil_smiley.gif
I'll be the one in the Etys.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 64
I've experimented with several Nos and current production 5751/12AT7s(haven't tried any 12AX7s) in my Purist HD and the variations can be quite minute.
At the moment I'm running a 5751 RCA Command which works very well although my favourite so far is an early 50s GE blackplate triple mica.This version has large wavey clips at the top and bottom of the mica rods so its easy to pick out.
The current production EH 5751 Gold also sounds quite good, maybe a little sharper at the top end than the NOS variations. A friend is running a 12AX7M Mullard Re-issue from Groove Tubes which he likes in his Purist HD.

The nice thing is that you only need to get the one tube to experiment with tube rolling rather than the expense of matched pairs etc.
I've ended up with 19 different NOS tubes but really haven't got past trying around 4 so far..I'm happy with the sound and would rather enjoy the music than spend hours tube rolling.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Although it may be a bit premature for me, I think we may have the makings of "Team Mapletree". Now if that only helped us score some really nice NOS 5751's, at say $10/tube?
biggrin.gif

I, for one am willing to be part of "Team Mapletree", and I have access to lots of tubes. Average price would be around $10/tube at least for the more generic stuff. Not trying to make a buck, but I'd hate to see everyone who bought a MAD Ear+ HD spend big bucks just to experiment and settle on one or two tubes.

We could just pass them around in a big round robin, with three or four groups of different sounding tubes being passed from member to member so there's no long wait. Say 4 or 5 tubes at $10 per tube plus shipping. Then the next guy will pay the first one and on down the line. If you like a particular tube keep it and I or someone else can add to the first shipment. Shipping tubes on that scale is only $3-4 at most, so it should all work.

Just a suggestion to get the ideas flowing. Anyone else interested?

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #22 of 64
replytoken -

"That's funny, I catch my evening bus home directly across the street from The Lusty Lady (Its where the bus route begins)."

What's even funnier yet, I used to live about two blocks from there, in the "Market Court West" building. Which is across the street from "Cutters".

All you who currently own the "Purist HD", or other MapleTree head amps for that matter, which headphone are you using with it? Is it equally good with Senn's & Grados?

If I get it, which I'm leaning towards at the moment, I would be using Senn 600's, Grado PS1's & Beyer 990's. Are their any downsides to the MapleTree headamps?

- augustwest

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #23 of 64
I have been pondering a Mapletree purchase for sometime now, the news of the ++III pushed me to place an order for one today. I have a fair collection of cans so the high/low jacks are really attractive option for me. Looking forward to its arrival.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara
I've experimented with several Nos and current production 5751/12AT7s(haven't tried any 12AX7s) in my Purist HD and the variations can be quite minute.

The nice thing is that you only need to get the one tube to experiment with tube rolling rather than the expense of matched pairs etc.
I've ended up with 19 different NOS tubes but really haven't got past trying around 4 so far..I'm happy with the sound and would rather enjoy the music than spend hours tube rolling.

You werre able to use a 12AT7 in an EAR? This does not cause any problems for the amp?
confused.gif
I did not know they were interchangable with 12AX7/5751's?

I kind of agree about not doing too much tube rolling. Most likely I will probably get used to the stock tubes for some weeks, try a tube roll or two, see if I can detect any difference, and then either stop with what I hear, or do a few more rolls until I am happy. Then, most likely, I will not roll for quite some time. Its kind of like eating good food. Find what you like and stick with it. Change out on occasion for variety.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99
Just a suggestion to get the ideas flowing. Anyone else interested?

I might be interested in something, but I first need my amp to arrive. More espresso Dr. Lloyd?
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

All you who currently own the "Purist HD", or other MapleTree head amps for that matter, which headphone are you using with it? Is it equally good with Senn's & Grados?

If I get it, which I'm leaning towards at the moment, I would be using Senn 600's, Grado PS1's & Beyer 990's. Are their any downsides to the MapleTree headamps?

- augustwest

I have HD-600's and Ety ER-4' that I plan to use with the EAR. I know there was a post a while ago that preferred Grados with the EAR, but that may just reflect that one poster's preferences, with others possibly referencing him (I believe it might have been a review by Nick Dangerous). IIRC, somebody (at Audiogon?) may have mentioned that Dr. Lloyd used 600's to voice his amps. I personally believe that it will most likely depend on the 5751 you are using (to a small degree), and more on your system synergy and personal tastes. Not much help, I know, but I hate to see people "stereotype" the amp based on a limted number of opinions.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #27 of 64
"I kind of agree about not doing too much tube rolling. Most likely I will probably get used to the stock tubes for some weeks, try a tube roll or two, see if I can detect any difference, and then either stop with what I hear, or do a few more rolls until I am happy."

This would be my plan too.

- augustwest

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 64
replytoken said:
You werre able to use a 12AT7 in an EAR? This does not cause any problems for the amp?
confused.gif
I did not know they were interchangable with 12AX7/5751's?
QUOTE]

Lloyd supplied my amp with a NOS(GE I think) 12AT7 as he was out of 5751 stock at the time and didn't want to keep me waiting. As long as the heater current is no more than 0.15A per tube it appears to be ok. So there is a choice of 12AT7/12AX7/5751/7025/ECC83 which opens up a fair range of tubes to choose from. Before using anything outside the norm I would certainly recommend contacting Lloyd first just to be sure.

When I first started buying tubes I did contact Mapletree .'
'A question please. You shipped my amp with a 12AT7 as you had no 5751s in stock. Obviously the 12AT7 is ok to use instead of the 12AX7/5751/ECC83 series. Are all 12AT7 family readily inter changable?'

Reply "I think any 12AT7 equivalent can be tried in the Ear+. The restriction is the heater current must be the standard 0.15A."

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

- augustwest

My version is the HD100 which came with high and low gain headphone outs.
My listening is almost exclusivly with Grado(RS1/225) on the low out and it works fine. With my AT1000s I get a very slight hum which doesn't interfer with the music but is there, while the Grados are dead quiet. I did briefly try some HD650s in the high out and again that appeared to work fine, although it wasn't for long and I'm not a fan of the 650s.
Almost forgot, also tried a apair of W3000 for about a week, no hum on them, drove them fine. Didn't like the 3000s and thought initially it was the amp but tried them with a Raptor and Perreaux and still didn't like them.

I haven't found any downside with my use. The amps look better in the flesh than pics..the Doc builds them well, they work with a variety of tubes and they dont get in the way of the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back