Updated Mapletree EAR++ III
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
After having talked with Dr. Lloyd about a custom designed EAR++ II, he decided to update this headphone amp/preamp based on some of my requests. The new model III will have an adjustable gain switch and the option for two headphone jacks, one for low impedance, and one for high impedance cans. It will also have three inputs and one output. If you are interested in a headphone amp that will pull duty as a preamp, you may want to look at this revised design. I am still waiting on mine as the good Dr. is in the process of building it for me. His web site is www.mapletreeaudio.com .

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 64
Thanks for addressing this I have been trying to decide between a PPX Slam & a Maple Tree amp, and you have worked out some of things that I have been interested in incorporating in the basic MapleTree design should I decide to get one of these over the PPX.

- augustwest

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 64
Dr. Lloyd is a pleasure to work with. When you are closer to making a decision, give him a call. He is very helpful, and can tell you what is and is not possible with regards to changes to the basic design. I know there are many Singlepower fans here, but their amps were beyond my budget.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 64
Thank you. I have also been pondering a purchase of the Ear+. You have made that decision much easier now thanks to the updated design. Need my wallet to do a "Lazarus" first though after having spent the past month on a acquisition rampage.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 64
I am a Mapletree Fan Boy
biggrin.gif
specially if you have a Grado, a match made in heaven.

Although I should say Dr. Lloyd's products sound great !!! with a K701 or an HD600.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I am a Mapletree Fan Boy
biggrin.gif
specially if you have a Grado, a match made in heaven.

Although I should say Dr. Lloyd's products sound great !!! with a K701 or an HD600.

Go ahead and rub it in while I wait for my amp!!
rolleyes.gif

Although it may be a bit premature for me, I think we may have the makings of "Team Mapletree". Now if that only helped us score some really nice NOS 5751's, at say $10/tube?
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 64
I am guessing that unless I need the preamp function I should still get the Ear HD? Actually, how big a set of bookshelves can the new EAR +++ drive?

The new Ear +++ is SO tempting though.....And as a Canadian, I can finally buy a great audio product without having to figure out how to beat customs!
evil_smiley.gif

I was going to add dual head phone jacks with different gains anyhow on the EAR HD Purist...any other options I should consider?

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 64
Aww...no kit version for it!
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
I am guessing that unless I need the preamp function I should still get the Ear HD? Actually, how big a set of bookshelves can the new EAR +++ drive?

I was going to add dual head phone jacks with different gains anyhow on the EAR HD Purist...any other options I should consider?

As a preamp, I am not sure how well the EAR++ could drive speakers, although in our initial conversations Dr. Lloyd did mention 25-30 dB of gain for the high setting. Still, I would think it best to have some means of amplification. Good luck!

BTW: n_maher, I ended up ordering the EAR++ rather than the HR Millett hybrid I considered in earlier threads. I needed more inputs and the good doc was able to deliver. It would, however, be great to hear the two side-by-side. Too bad we are on opposite coasts.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 64
"As a preamp, I am not sure how well the EAR++ could drive speakers"

"how big a set of bookshelves can the new EAR +++ drive?"

It is not meant to drive speakers, it is a pre-amp that is capable of interfacing with a power amp which in turn drives the speakers.

"Aww...no kit version for it!
I bet a phone call or email might fix that"

Here is what the Doc had to say about that:

"I am not going to offer the Ear++ as a kit as I find I have too many different kit instructions/diagrams to keep up to date. Also, the density of the components and wiring in the new Ear++ III is a bit high for kit implementation. The only headphone amp kit is now the Ear+ Purist with available HD option."

- augustwest

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
Replytoken -

How far away are you from getting your new amp? Will you be reviewing it?

- augustwest

Dr. Lloyd sent me a message that he is now working on my amp.
biggrin.gif
I do not know how long it will take him for assembly and testing, but I imagine that we will need to add a week to that amount of time for shipping as I am on the west coast. I will certainly write up my impressions once I receive it, but I can only compare it to the handful of amps that I have owned or listened to. I will be using HD-600's and Ety ER-4's in addition to my speakers. It seems like waiting is the hard part.

FWIW, Dr. Lloyd thought that the tube with the biggest impact on the sound quality would be the 5751. He did not seem to think that tube rolling the other tubes would make a big difference in sound. If my ears agree, this would be quite an affordable set-up.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
BTW: n_maher, I ended up ordering the EAR++ rather than the HR Millett hybrid I considered in earlier threads. I needed more inputs and the good doc was able to deliver. It would, however, be great to hear the two side-by-side. Too bad we are on opposite coasts.

I have a friend who's got a Ear+ Purist HD which I hope to compare to the HR Millett some time soon. Unfortunately we're both busy with non-headphone related things right now so that comparo isn't going to happen any time soon.

And I can understand Lloyds desire to keep the kit options simple, but it's a shame if this amp is really a big upgrade over the previous version.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back