Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Mar 3, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #1,246 of 1,469
Thanks, that sounds like what we call a "lateral move" at work. It seems like a promotion, but there's no raise in pay...just more responsibility.

On that note, I don't find the 801 to be a side grade to the iMod. Until the 801 came along, the best I could do, was playing lossless files on my iRiver (Rockboxed) optically out to a MicroDac or D-10.
But I find the 801 to be a step above those options.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #1,247 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it only a side-grade from an Imod+dock for non-portable use.

But for portable use, definitely the Hifiman-801.

Can't wait for a better amp module for IEMs though. I am still not opening up to the stock HM-801 with my triple-fi's.

Mine took about 2 weeks of constant burn in before it came on song, before that I found it a little harsh

Infoseeker, do you have version 0.12 firmware? what's the date for this?

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #1,248 of 1,469
Mine is:
2010-02-06

I am getting more convinced The HM-801 onboard sounds exactly the same as when line-out with my pico (with my ESW10s); sounds great. Just still I can't enjoy into it with my triple-fis.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #1,251 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is:
2010-02-06

I am getting more convinced The HM-801 onboard sounds exactly the same as when line-out with my pico (with my ESW10s); sounds great. Just still I can't enjoy into it with my triple-fis.

I've compared the hifiman onboard amp with the line-out to pico as well with my JH-13's.. couldn't tell a difference

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #1,253 of 1,469
It must work without a card-reader. The HM-801 occupies 2 letters in Windows: the one for the internal memory and the second for the memory card installed in the player

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #1,256 of 1,469
I got the new amp module sample as well, thanks Fang.

Installation of the module is very easy, no hassle is required. The amp module is smartly mounted with a side latch. so don't use too much force to loose the latch.

Since the new module is designed for IEM, first I tried the new module with recently bought UE18. I thought UE18 does not have a good synergy with Hifiman. However, with the new module that complaint is gone. The sound is now more crisp and cleaner. I have more room to adjust volume. The gain must be lower than the original. UE18 and Hifiman 801 would be a new killer combo with this new module. Spectacular sound experience indeed.

JH13 and Hifiman 801 has been a great combo and my favorite. I did not have any complaint on this setup. But this is now even better!
When I tried JH13 with the new module, I thought as if it were recabled with an extreme silver cable. Everything is clearing up and more transparent. I am sure you will be amazed
smily_headphones1.gif

However, with Edition8 I feel something less energetic with the new module. I prefer original module for Edition8. So it depends, you will need both module
smily_headphones1.gif

This the must have item for every IEM lover. Congrats Fang !

Mar 9, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #1,257 of 1,469
Sasaki,

Would you please comment on the synergy between the new amp module and the ES3X as well? It would be great if you may tell the differences of the performance of the ES3X with the new and old amp modules.

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #1,258 of 1,469
I have not spent much time on ES3x but I think clarity and details are better than original module. New module is even more quiet than original for ES3x.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sasaki,

Would you please comment on the synergy between the new amp module and the ES3X as well? It would be great if you may tell the differences of the performance of the ES3X with the new and old amp modules.

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #1,259 of 1,469
Thanks for the quick review, sounds like this is a must buy for anyone using iems with the hifiman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gain must be lower than the original.

The standard module has a gain of 1.6 and the new GAME card is 0.9

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #1,260 of 1,469
I put back the original OEM amp after using the IEM amp and what a difference. It would definitely be nice to have both amps to cater to what headphones that you are using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back