Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Aug 3, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #272 of 1,469
I hate to be the devils advocate here, but it seems kinda chunky, reminds me of the cassette players from the 90s. Lots of people here who want a high quality media player without the extraneous amps and dacs are the same people who dont want to carry around a brick in the pocket (me being one of them).

In my eyes, an iPod Video, along with one of the new, soon to be released, smaller portable amps, such as the Pico Slim or RSA Shadow, is a much much more portable option. Realistically, this thing is about the size of an iPod Touch with a Pico or Predator.

Maybe the HifiMAN will blow the previously stated combos away, and will make it worth having a brick in your pocket. Until then though, I will keep my $600 and spend it on other gear.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #274 of 1,469
Not that apples sound the best... there's always been better alternatives.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #276 of 1,469
X2

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #278 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Fang named it "HifiMAN" kind of in honor of those classic walkmans in 90s; the design of the look too. I like it. Not fancily slim, but looks sturdy and reliable.

I like the semi-retro look, too. Appears to be pretty sturdy, aluminum front/steel rear.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #279 of 1,469
Okay - I've bitten the bullet and just ordered one. I'm just too intrigued by this product, and for once, the early adopters are being rewarded. (And I am not normally one of these!!)

Yes I struggled trying to justify the cost, but here's my logic:

(1) I won't need to buy a D10 to go with my iRiver H140. (I already have a Zhaolu D2 DAC for home use.)

(2) I won't need to purchase a pair of Yuin OK2s for portable use, because I can run my existing PK1s from this.

(3) The price is only approx $90AUS more than the 32GB Sony X player.

Now I realise that some of you will find flaws in my logic ...... but i'd appreciate it if you didn't point them out to me!!!!

I've read a few comments where some have said that this would be great if it was smaller and cheaper, had better battery life, etc. Well I reckon Fang has been completely up front about what the 801 has been designed for, and this is the smallest and cheapest it can be at the moment - he hasn't made any trade-offs that will affect SQ. This has been what has intrigued me the most, and why (for the first time) I am not going to sit back and wait for reviews of this before buying it.

In fact, I'm going to be the first person to say that I wish it was bigger and more expensive!!!! Why? Because I wish it came with onboard memory (32 GB) as well as a SD slot. And I realise that this would add to the size and cost.

I have a couple of questions for Fang:

(1) With regards to the playlisting of the player - Will it have any simple "on the go" features? ie Whilst listening to a song, will you be able to navigate through the songs and "queue up" songs that will play when the existing ones finish?

(2) Do you recommend any minimum spec/class/speed of the SDHC card? I will want to order a couple of 16/32 GB cards before the player arrives.

Anyway, thanks and congrats to you Fang.

Cheers

pauls

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #280 of 1,469
I can't wait! This is unit is exactly what I have been waiting for for many many years. I'm also a strong advocate of the replacement SD cards. They are small and one can have a nice amount of them in a wallet ready for a swap for music. I've just spent the better part of a week in a hospital and I could have really used this little beauty!

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #281 of 1,469
Yesterday Toshiba has announced that they will produce 64GB SDXC card at next spring. They said this card will compatible with the legacy SD interface. (But, in order to use this SDXC card, we still need to update the firmware/OS to use exFAT file format.)

By the way, Nankai, it's August now and we need any information updated! even if it is not a good news.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #285 of 1,469
SD interface does not depend on the version of SD standard. Toshiba announced that their card will compatible with current SD slot with 3.3V, both DS mode(SD Clock 25MHz) and HS mode(SD Clock 50MHz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back