Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Jan 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #1,096 of 1,469
Hi

received someone notification??i ordered 13 october. Head-direct told me last week that all units will be shipped from 2 batch but i dont have any information yet.
confused.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #1,097 of 1,469
Most batch 1 buyers have waited for more than 4 months and my friend has waited for more than 6 months. You're very lucky to be able to receive it for waiting for only 3 months. It'll come, don't worry.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #1,098 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoghurtlidlicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not hear any lack of bass with W3. to me it sounds good, v good, better than my imod 5.5 and GS Voyager combo. I enjoy The Prodigy albums with nice punchy bass.

y.

Isn't those W3 be known as bass heavy? So with "lite bass" of HM-801 they must sound just right...

However, I haven't found HM-801 to be bass shy. Others may hear it differently.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #1,099 of 1,469
It would also depend on your music tastes.. classical music is not known to be bass heavy.. well except for maybe wagner's pieces.. so if that is what you mainly listen to, you probably don't notice it

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,100 of 1,469
Since the unit is very transparent, the treble is not rolled off - the bass shyness is accentuated, it sounds a little tilted towards the top ... for me it is easier to live with top rolled off if the bottom end is not full ...

Anyway it is what it is - this is pre-order after all and we are taking some calculated risk ...

Good effort by bringing to the market a high end portable DAP with all the features and limitations ...

I listened to the line out today - it is not bass shy, only the headphone out is bass shy ...

Cheers

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #1,101 of 1,469
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

HM-801 is bass shy, line out is bass shy....
You're not telling with what you are comparing.
If you are saying it's bass shy in an absolute way (i.e. if it's bass shy to your own taste), well, sorry to say that guys, but its a non-sense ! And it's useless. We are not talking about your tastes, but about high-fidelity.

Only comparisons with different sources are valid.

Line-out : compared with a Shanling source, both on same amp : no difference --> Line-out is perfect for what comes with frequency response (remember : distortion on frequency response of all (decent) CD player is perfect or nearly perfect --> Shanling is perfect, and since HM-801 has the same response as Shanling, HM-801 line out is perfect regarding frequency response).

Headphones : well, it all depends on your headphone frequency response (!!!!) and on the headphone impedance and sensitivity. With an earsonics EM3-PRO (IEM with 23 ohms, 124 dB) the frequency response is perfect : I compared with my Stax Omega2 (a little more bass than the Stax, which is fine, but never too much). Plus : I listened to hours of music (acoustic and classical music) : The HM-801 + EM3 PRO is fidel (as in high fidelity). So it doesn't lack bass in any sense. Of course the story may be different with high impedance headphones. It might be the case for those of you claimin it's bass shy. But please be more specific, and state that it's not the HM-801 that is bass shy, but the association HM-801 + your headphone. And please state with what you did the comparison.

But the most important point is that the line out is perfect regarding frequency response (i.e. the electronic is fine). And, well, this is not a surprise : the DAC is perfect for frequency response (as are ALL DAC). A flat Frequency response is one of the CD red book requirement, so they can be no problem with frequency response in digital sources today, at least with carefully built digital sources.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #1,102 of 1,469
Acoustic and classical music does not go deep enough in the lower frequency range for you to know that there is a bass deficiency.

And what are you getting all bent out of shape for? I know what bass deficiency is. I'm using them with JH-13 which is as top of the line as headphones get. How do you know its perfect regarding frequency response? Have you used a microphone and recorded and frequency response out of headphone out and line out? No? then you have no idea what you're talking about.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #1,103 of 1,469
hi guys~ lets stop arguing and fighting please.

we are all owners and supporters of hifiman 801 so why fighting each other?

the fact is 801 has amp compartment to cater different kind of music lover taste from day one !! it is never design to stop owner from chasing desire amp module

-2nd fact is even fang said there will be another amp module come out specifically for sensitive IEM compare to current one thats for both headphones and IEM as well. so if the original designer (one of them) understand there could be different taste and usage ~ who are we to argue about?

-3rd fact, simply from spec you wouldnt say the included amp module is the best and used the best chip, how ever it is what fang think is ideal for 801~ besides we all know 801 is Fang's dream of ideal portable dap and you can find images of what head-direct believe to be true sound every where in their product line ~ like RE0/HE-5 etc etc so its their personality like all other companies, if you could accept Senn or grado or Byer to have their own sound signature, why not head-direct ?

last but not least, no matter whats inside 801, there will always be people who daisy chain 801 with other external equipment like amp or coaxial cable or may be battery or may be power supply or headphones etc for experiment any way.....dont you think its bit waste of effort to argue about it? besides why spoil the fun with all possibilities ?

i bought 801 because i dont like to chase different kind of set up and searching~ at least for now i m happy with what i got, if i got bore ~ i dont mind getting new toys to hook up with my 801 thats for sure!

now i m just eager to find out JH16
o2smile.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,104 of 1,469
My comments are based on my understanding of neutrality ...

- Line out is fine - no bass shyness here
- Headphone out clearly and easily recevals its bass shyness

My reference has been recabled 701 (hardly a bass heavy phone). I had Ultrasone Ed 9 phone for 10 days - I was just too much bass - too colored - just to provide personal preference.

Back to 801, my source comparison was TRL battery modified Sony 900 player (contends with the best digital). TRL had better bass definition, an unfair comparison but here it is ....

I used head-direct's own EF5 amp using 801 lineout - it was very clear that the 801 headphone amp module is bass shy, based on my listening impressions.

In all fairness, I have put 801 back on continuous burn-in through headphone out using Isotek's burn-in track to help speed things up.

Headphones used:
RAL cabled AKG701
HE5
RE252

I would agree that 801 is probably the best sounding portable digital player but not necessarily best sounding / most balanced single unit digital portable unit, yet.

The current internal amp module of 801 (not a surprise, if a ref level amp is in works) along with software / firmware / user interface are its weaknesses.

It is wonderful to know that the internal amp works just fine for them based on their system and listening preferences ...

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #1,105 of 1,469
for my 'bass taste' - it's great.
It's impossible to find THE BEST "universal" HiFi sound quality for everyone... simple.

If you don't like your 801 - just return it
wink.gif
or give it to someone ;P

cheers,
Y.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #1,106 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by petercak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't those W3 be known as bass heavy? So with "lite bass" of HM-801 they must sound just right...

However, I haven't found HM-801 to be bass shy. Others may hear it differently.

Yes, you are right, for some people, they are "bassy".

beerchug.gif

Y.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,107 of 1,469
I listened to HD650 (recabled with Jena Ultrawire, Swichcraft mini and Cardas Senn connectors) directly from headphone out. No complains about bass there. I would be suprised if there were any, since HD650 isn't exactly on the bright side....

When trying through line-out with P-51 (mini-to-mini used, again Jena Ultrawire with Switchcraft connectors) and with HD650, it gained bass volume, but top end, in my opinion, was rolled off little bit. Or maybe it was only supressed because of bigger volume of bass. It had some charm (music gained "body"), but I'm not sure that missing sparks up there made me happier.

Nevertheless, it needs more testing, more headphones, more amplifiers, more cables.... Anyone willing to sponsor poor owner of HM-801?
biggrin.gif

Enjoy HM-801 if you're already got one. Order it, if you haven't. Very nice product for the price.

Take care
L3000.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,108 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by testrichard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi guys~ lets stop arguing and fighting please.

we are all owners and supporters of hifiman 801 so why fighting each other?

the fact is 801 has amp compartment to cater different kind of music lover taste from day one !! it is never design to stop owner from chasing desire amp module

-2nd fact is even fang said there will be another amp module come out specifically for sensitive IEM compare to current one thats for both headphones and IEM as well. so if the original designer (one of them) understand there could be different taste and usage ~ who are we to argue about?

-3rd fact, simply from spec you wouldnt say the included amp module is the best and used the best chip, how ever it is what fang think is ideal for 801~ besides we all know 801 is Fang's dream of ideal portable dap and you can find images of what head-direct believe to be true sound every where in their product line ~ like RE0/HE-5 etc etc so its their personality like all other companies, if you could accept Senn or grado or Byer to have their own sound signature, why not head-direct ?

last but not least, no matter whats inside 801, there will always be people who daisy chain 801 with other external equipment like amp or coaxial cable or may be battery or may be power supply or headphones etc for experiment any way.....dont you think its bit waste of effort to argue about it? besides why spoil the fun with all possibilities ?

i bought 801 because i dont like to chase different kind of set up and searching~ at least for now i m happy with what i got, if i got bore ~ i dont mind getting new toys to hook up with my 801 thats for sure!

now i m just eager to find out JH16
o2smile.gif

Merely by this statement, I'm guessing "testrichard " was a well thought out username for you. Whether people agree with you or not, you have a level-headed way of thinking that I admire. If more people were like you, then maybe we would have less wars.
tongue.gif

It's an anomaly that 2 entirely different people can have completely different opinions of the bass output of any headphone (the O2's is one that comes to mind).
Different strokes.

Which begs the question: What I see and know my whole life as the color "green" because since birth I was told that that that particular color that I interpreted with my own eyes, was "Green". Is it the same shade that you interpret as green. We'll never know.

I need coffee
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #1,109 of 1,469
I received notification but not UPS but TNT.com. And it works
smily_headphones1.gif
so my hifiman is in Hong Kong ....long way to Slovakia
popcorn.gif

I have discount code too but!!Hdtracks.com sells only for US. So this code is for me useless. Is there someone, good person, who will buy for me one album that i want:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?f...HD678277163720

i will pay for it for sure.

thanx

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #1,110 of 1,469
I would not use HDTracks btw.. they've been hacked SEVERAL times, have done little to nothing about it, and it means your credit card which you have to submit to make the purchase, WILL get compromised

Users who are viewing this thread

Back