Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v56 and HQ v97)
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #4,306 of 4,424
I'm pretty sure I saw something about LC3+ being used by the dongle, in the Maxwell user guide on Audeze's website, but at a later time the LC3+ mention was removed from there.

After searching a bit, here it is:
@matfax The user guide states the following;

"The wireless dongle that comes with your Maxwell functions as an LC3+ Bluetooth adapter. This offers you all the functionality of the LC3+ codec like ultra low latency playback, very robust wireless transmission strength and hi-res audio. For devices that support the LC3 or LC3+ codecs natively, the dongle is not required for low latency playback as long as LC3 or LC3+ is enabled in your developer options"

The current mention in the Maxwell user guide is this:
"The wireless dongle that comes with your Maxwell offers ultra low latency playback, very robust wireless transmission strength and hi-res audio. For devices that support Bluetooth LE Audio, the dongle is not required for low latency playback as long as LE Audio enabled on your device (currently this option is in the Developer Options menu on Android. This is a part of the new Bluetooth 5.3 protocol that will become available on more Android devices in the future, for more information on setup, see the Advanced Bluetooth Function section)."

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #4,307 of 4,424
How you measured the radiation level and what level you got in dBm or mW?
My trifield 2 meter maxes out at like 6 inches away from the Maxwell when they're powered on. So I can't get a proper reading with the tf2 with the maxwell the same distance from the tf2 as my head is when I'm using them.

Essentially the rf radiation is so high I'd have to buy a meter with a higher maximum range to be able to tell you accurately. The only other possibility is that the planar magnetic headphones make the meter go haywire somehow.

Other wireless / wired dynamic headphones I have on hand don't have similarly high readings. Unfortunately, I don't have (1) another set of planar headphones (wireless or not) or (2) another gaming headset with a 2.4ghz dongle (either able to be disabled or not) to test.

As best as I can tell the radiation profile on the maxwell looks more like an always on cordless phone base (2.4ghz) that's plugged into the wall than a pair of headphones. My hope was to disable the 2.4ghz on the maxwell to see if turning that off could give them a radiation profile similar to comparable wearables.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #4,308 of 4,424
I've been using Maxwell for the past 3 days and they sound good, comparable to other headphones I am using (SA6 and Fidelio X2).
I did not even try using them via usb. Is the sound noticeable better when they are wired?
Not at all. The dac is in the Headphone itself so there is no need. Having them wired might not improve the sound but even make it worse depending.

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #4,311 of 4,424
I'm pretty sure I saw something about LC3+ being used by the dongle, in the Maxwell user guide on Audeze's website, but at a later time the LC3+ mention was removed from there.

After searching a bit, here it is:

The current mention in the Maxwell user guide is this:
"The wireless dongle that comes with your Maxwell offers ultra low latency playback, very robust wireless transmission strength and hi-res audio. For devices that support Bluetooth LE Audio, the dongle is not required for low latency playback as long as LE Audio enabled on your device (currently this option is in the Developer Options menu on Android. This is a part of the new Bluetooth 5.3 protocol that will become available on more Android devices in the future, for more information on setup, see the Advanced Bluetooth Function section)."
I think that LC3+ is still mentioned by Audeze
  • First-in-Class Bluetooth 5.3 supports LE Audio, LC3plus, LDAC
From: https://www.audeze.com/products/maxwell-wireless-gaming-headset

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #4,312 of 4,424
Feb 9, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #4,313 of 4,424
They mention that when it comes to Bluetooth alone, but they mentioned it before also when it comes to what the dongle uses for its connection.

Even with LC3 and LC3Plus, information on bitrates, etc are difficult to find (at least with my Google skills).

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #4,314 of 4,424
I agree with all of the frustrations in terms of not being able to find the details about the bitrates. Can I ask a question… which BT headphones that are commercially available have better performance than what is generally believed to be Maxwell’s (rather than the lacking factual representation from Audeze)?

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #4,315 of 4,424
I agree with all of the frustrations in terms of not being able to find the details about the bitrates. Can I ask a question… which BT headphones that are commercially available have better performance than what is generally believed to be Maxwell’s (rather than the lacking factual representation from Audeze)?
There's not a whole lot of options IMO.

I have the Philips Fidelio L3 which trounces the Maxwell in comfort/premium feel and has pretty good noise canceling but I would say the Maxwell sound better. No LDAC support for the Fidelio either.

I haven't heard the Focal Bathys but if they perform anything like the Elex (certainly not a given) they'd be a big step up from the Maxwell. Resolve and DMS from the Headphone Show use them so I imagine they're at least very good.

Other than that not even a ton of options I'm aware of. I have no reference point for the B&W wireless set some people like.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #4,316 of 4,424
I prefer the sound of the Maxwell over the Bathys--which is strange to say, given that the latter is about twice as expensive. The presentation and sound signature of the Maxwell are more natural, smooth, and pleasant to my ears (Bathys sound a bit more brittle and distant in the mids). Px8 are somewhat similar to the Maxwell with a bit more treble/sparkle around 8 kHz.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #4,317 of 4,424
Not to ruffle any feathers, but I don't think the Galaxy Buds Pro2 are *that* far off from the Maxwell and they're obviously way way more portable/easy to use on the go, if you're open to TWS. After trying them (and I also briefly had the Buds2 which I returned because I found the Pros for the same price and I had fit issues with the non-Pro version), I've come to the conclusion TWS is really the way for me to go personally for wireless.

I haven't found any over-the-ears that really go to bat with my favorite wired headphones, and TWS are just immensely easier to take on the go. I can put them in my pocket when I leave the house and they're just there! The portability trumps the difference in sound quality between something like the Maxwell.

Even when I'm just doing stuff around the house they're easier to deal with than the Maxwell or Fidelio etc.

I'm not an Apple user but I know people feel similarly about the AirPods Pro second gen.

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #4,318 of 4,424
I prefer the sound of the Maxwell over the Bathys--which is strange to say, given that the latter is about twice as expensive. The presentation and sound signature of the Maxwell are more natural, smooth, and pleasant to my ears (Focals sound a bit more brittle and distant in the mids). Px8 are somewhat similar to the Maxwell with a bit more treble/sparkle around 8 kHz.
I've never had the chance to A/B the Maxwell and Bathys, but I think I like the Maxwell more. If you don't like the stock sound, you have more options with the Maxwell's 10-band EQ to mess with. I don't recall the Bathys having much for EQ. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it just had a few presets to choose from.

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I don't think the Galaxy Buds Pro2 are *that* far off from the Maxwell and they're obviously way way more portable/easy to use on the go, if you're open to TWS. After trying them (and I also briefly had the Buds2 which I returned because I found the Pros for the same price and I had fit issues with the non-Pro version), I've come to the conclusion TWS is really the way for me to go personally for wireless.

I haven't found any over-the-ears that really go to bat with my favorite wired headphones, and TWS are just immensely easier to take on the go. I can put them in my pocket when I leave the house and they're just there! The portability trumps the difference in sound quality between something like the Maxwell.

Even when I'm just doing stuff around the house they're easier to deal with than the Maxwell or Fidelio etc.

I'm not an Apple user but I know people feel similarly about the AirPods Pro second gen.
Sound quality may not be far off for some, but the use cases of TWS earphones vs BT over-ear headphones are way different. I personally can't use in-ears when I'm on a call or when I'm gaming with friends. I just can't hear myself with them plugged into my ears. Also, TWS earphones typically don't have as good of a mic setup in comparison so it picks up too much surrounding noise. I'm all for in-ears, but only when I'm not on a call or not gaming with friends.

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #4,319 of 4,424
Yes, that is certainly true. I keep my Maxwell for gaming and they're great for it.

But I know people have bought the Maxwell mostly/exclusively to use as a headphone without need for the mic/dongle. For that use case, you can find somewhat competitive TWS (for less money, too.).

The only gaming centric headsets that directly compete with the Maxwell that I'm aware of are the Arctis Nova and the Beoplay Portal. I haven't heard either but the Steel Series headsets I *have* heard are, frankly, awful. The positional audio is good and the comfort is okay but the sound quality? Just awful. They don't get loud at all either (or mine doesn't, anyway.) And the audio will distort well before max volume on the PS5.

I wouldn't even use them to watch TV. The sound is totally flat (I don't mean neutral), almost no bass. Just the most lifeless sounding headphone I've ever encountered. You might as well jerry rig a PortaPro with a mic and Bluetooth receiver. It'll sound a lot better!

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #4,320 of 4,424
I prefer the sound of the Maxwell over the Bathys--which is strange to say, given that the latter is about twice as expensive. The presentation and sound signature of the Maxwell are more natural, smooth, and pleasant to my ears (Bathys sound a bit more brittle and distant in the mids). Px8 are somewhat similar to the Maxwell with a bit more treble/sparkle around 8 kHz.
I have both as well. They each have their own uses. I prefer the Bathys with Mimi and EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back