Update on Flac Player for Mac
Aug 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
Hey,

Im thinking about switching over to a Mac but literally the only thing worrying me is how I'm going to handle playing my massive flac library. I've looked up other threads but they are mostly all several years old and I was wondering if there are any new programs that have emerged in the past couple years. None of the usually recommended ones work for me because I am looking for something that where I can just select the folder in the finder and send it to the playlist (from a context menu or something). Is there anything like this out there?

Thanks

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 10
I am using fluke which seamlessly integrates into itunes and enables FLAC to be played through it. I also tried comparing FLAC played through itunes and "Play"- another player, and finally settled on fluke and itunes as it was easier and user friendly. BTW both play and itunes sounded the same

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 10
When I switched over to a Mac I researched the same thing and then decided to simply convert all of my FLAC files to ALAC using Max. This allowed me to use iTunes (wirelessly to the Airport Express optical out) natively and it also gives me the redundancy of having 2 lossless libraries in 2 distinct formats on 2 separate drives.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 10
I too converted my FLAC library to ALAC with Max, not overly hard to do the whole thing at one go if you configure it right.

An option now is to use Amarra.  From what I understand, you can drag a flac playlist into the amarra window and it will play on a Mac.  I use Pure Music, not Amarra, but read that Amarra can work like that.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 10
I mostly use Itunes with Fluke.

However, if I'm really interested in good quality reproduction, I use Vox. There is a noticeable difference between Itunes with Fluke and Vox. 

I'm not exactly satisfied with my current options.

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Clementine maybe?
I have not tried it myself yet, but it looks quite promising. Or convert those FLAC files to ALAC and use iTunes, like many of us have done.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Yes, I think Clementine is my best option right now. I would consider converting my entire library and using itunes, but some of the songs are not completely tagged right. I forget, is there a program that can derive the tag information from the filenames? 

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 10
Nov 7, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 10
AyreWave is in beta at the moment, and while it doesn't have many features, you can select a bunch of tracks in the Finder and click a button to bring them into the playlist.

I agree that unless you have a lack of storage, I would just convert them into ALAC and use iTunes and its playlists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back