Update: Accidentally Got a ... Deal
Mar 30, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 37
Aside from ambient noise attenuation, the closed vs. open headphones should sound exactly the same. The only difference would be noise blockage.

And, I wouldn't waste my time burning something in...just listen to music.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #17 of 37
From listening to closed and open headphones, even though I guess it -could- be that they were different headphones, I think the soundstage is so much bigger on the open headphones.

Anyways, I just ordered a pair of the AD700's from EExpo off of Amazon tonight and I'm going to definitely be giving them a call in the morning to make sure that they send me the right thing right away.

I don't want to wait any longer!

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #18 of 37
Open vs. closed makes a huge difference in sound, just ask anyone who has tried the DT770 250ohm vs. the 880 or 990, there is a HUGE difference, completely different 'phones. As far as burn in, I plan on burning my new stuff in with pink noise when I'm not listening to it, that'll make it go that much quicker.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #19 of 37
Overlord Xenu
Thanks for the opinion, and I probably won't be able to resist listening to music as soon as I get them, yet there will be ample time to burn them in while I'm in classes. As far as open vs closed design, yes I have auditioned a difference.
ExplosiveDuck
Good idea, because it seems that sending NOT the item you chose and researched and paid for has been par course.

General comment: it is 4:22 am... gosh, I didn't realize I was anticipating receiving my headphones so much, yet here I am on hi fi on a school night (morning). Crazy.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 37
WEll metal, I will say that the guy I talked to on the phone said that he'd never heard it happen before... and the A700 was better than all the headphones I currently have. And the fella I talked to in customer service said it was his department that would handle the refund.

I'm just backing out before I get any more problems. First shipment might have been honest mistake, second time I'm thinking "Fool me once, shame on you..."

Oh, and I looked carefully at the box... recognized some scratches... they had sent me back the exact same unit, lol.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evshrug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, and I looked carefully at the box... recognized some scratches... they had sent me back the exact same unit, lol.

that is dumb!!! (and hilarious)
must be 3 guys stoned all the time at the warehouse

hahahaha send back the SAME unit???? you'd have to have extra short term memory and no long term awareness to do that.

"and these phones go back on the shel....."
"what was i doing again?"
"oh yeah, shipping these headphones"

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #24 of 37
Yah and now I've called them like 5 times and the can't hear me? What They say hello once and hang up. I call a friend and he was like "why the shouting?" lol Seriously, I got to cancel this order before they ship it , which they haven't yet.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #25 of 37
Thank God I ordered my AD700's directly through Amazon. I don't need another set of closed cans, already have among many, the A900.
As I mentioned in another related thread, they gave me a better deal anyway, as no tax and free shipping.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is dumb!!! (and hilarious)
must be 3 guys stoned all the time at the warehouse

hahahaha send back the SAME unit???? you'd have to have extra short term memory and no long term awareness to do that.

"and these phones go back on the shel....."
"what was i doing again?"
"oh yeah, shipping these headphones"

Honestly I think it was more of a "AD700... No I really don't see the difference, the customer must just be wrong!" *ship*

Thanks Kayla. At least my RA invoice gave me someone to blame, lol. They did send me headphones costing $40 more, and they are legit A700s. I'm thinking not return, sell, and pocket the difference.

Honestly... Purple. They're PURPLE!

P.S. the guy I called from my cell phone could hear me fine, and he actually sounded like a decent guy. He agreed to set up the return and sounded contrite about the situation, and was a pretty normal sounding guy. I actually called him back just to tell him that I realized that they were the same unit, and we both were amazed. But I'm definitely going to print out a picture of the AD700s (PURPLE DAMNIT!!) and insult the intelligence of the packing department.

Mar 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by metal112524 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey so are these cans purple and bronze or blue and silver? Pics anyone?

What, you can't use internet search? The AD700s have a purple grill with a silvery/beige headband, while the A700s are CLOSED and the smooth can backs are a very dark navy with metallic flecks in them and black headbands. They both look nice IMHO, though I think the AD700s evoke more like a "party fun" individuality and the A700s have a more subtle, classy masculine look.

AD700:
AudioTechnica-550.jpg

A700:
ATH-A700.bmp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back