Upcoming Sony Xperia Z. DAC?
Mar 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #16 of 88
Have the Xperia z, over the moon with it! Coming from a note 2 I can state that I prefer pretty much everything over it, except the battery but not as bad as I initially thought it would be. Iam most chuffed about sound quality, xperia usually aren't that bad, but this one is the only phone that sounds nicer than my note 2. Volume levels aren't as high but loud enough for me, iam more pleased that the sound quality reminds of my beloved rip walkman x series, punchy, powerful but velvety warm sounding. Love it! Pairs really nicely with phonaks, haven't tried it with sennheiser 598, but aim doubtful it will be able to drive them properly, I've had walkman a865 that I happily gifted it to wifey, just don't see the need of using it anymore. One thing I do need to get is a Bluetooth. Heheadphone adaptor and dock, hate opening those flaps.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 88
Have the Xperia z, over the moon with it! Coming from a note 2 I can state that I prefer pretty much everything over it, except the battery but not as bad as I initially thought it would be. Iam most chuffed about sound quality, xperia usually aren't that bad, but this one is the only phone that sounds nicer than my note 2. Volume levels aren't as high but loud enough for me, iam more pleased that the sound quality reminds of my beloved rip walkman x series, punchy, powerful but velvety warm sounding. Love it! Pairs really nicely with phonaks, haven't tried it with sennheiser 598, but aim doubtful it will be able to drive them properly, I've had walkman a865 that I happily gifted it to wifey, just don't see the need of using it anymore. One thing I do need to get is a Bluetooth. Heheadphone adaptor and dock, hate opening those flaps.

Double post sorry!

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 88
I really want to try this phone out. I luv me some Sony, and this truly makes them a choice in the Android world!!! :cool:

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #19 of 88
My own experience is that xPeriaZ sounds better than my sony NWZ-F806 (wider soundstage, less analytical, warmer sounding), and better than Galaxy S3 I owned (more detail, a bit less warm, more punch). It matches pretty well the Phonak PFE 232. I tested also the Shures SRH 1840, you get a decent output.

Overall, I am not using the F806 anymore, the sound is the big surprise to me about the xPeriaZ I wonder what is the DAC in there.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #20 of 88
Quote:
My own experience is that xPeriaZ sounds better than my sony NWZ-F806 (wider soundstage, less analytical, warmer sounding), and better than Galaxy S3 I owned (more detail, a bit less warm, more punch). It matches pretty well the Phonak PFE 232. I tested also the Shures SRH 1840, you get a decent output.

Overall, I am not using the F806 anymore, the sound is the big surprise to me about the xPeriaZ I wonder what is the DAC in there.

I was surprised too. The bass was really nice and potent in particular.

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

almost the same feeling as my Xperia S. except less details and less clear compare to my other DAPs.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #22 of 88
To the people wondering if it supports USB Audio: Yes, it does. Confirmed a while ago in the Android USB audio thread. Works with all my DAC/amp combos - RSA Intruder, Apex Glacier, HeadAmp Pico, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #23 of 88
Now that is what it takes to be in the game. Listening to the consumers. This time Sony has paid attention to all the corners. Reviews seem to complain about the less than stunning display(with regards to contrast and viewing angles). Though i do not yet own one.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #24 of 88
The screen is said to look great straight on, and that's fine for me. My only possible issue is battery life,...as I'm personally out & about with no place to keep charging my phone. And a portable battery pack is a no-no for me. I can't use the phone & keep it wired to charge while in the street, or working where I work (NYCT track maintainer). Otherwise Sony has really come a long way, and I'm mighty glad they have. :cool:

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #25 of 88
The screen isn't that impressive even straight on to be honest, the blacks and contrast aren't particularly good. Washout at off viewing angles starts quite quickly, I notice it quite often in normal use (with phone sat beside me on desk/couch etc). Much worse than my HTC Butterfly, and I expect will turn out to be amongst the very worst 1080p panels in flagships this year (heck even the Oppo Find 5 has a better 1080p panel). If you've not seen better or you're not already used to SLCD2/AMOLED/IPS+ type blacks/contrast/viewing angles, then you'll likely still be wowed by it for the resolution alone.

Camera disappointing too, you can see the GSMArena review for more there, or check my twitter feed - I've been doing a few shooting challenges Vs a Note 2 and Pureview 808 today (so far the Xperia Z is the loser in every shot).

Battery life... well, after 4 charges mine is pretty bad so far to be honest.

I agree Sony have done better here, and I'm really glad for that - it may not be my cup of tea but I want a vibrant and competitive mobile scene because that's good for everyone (and especially consumers). I don't see this handset troubling the S4 or HTC One particularly however...

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #26 of 88
Well from my xperience with the note 2, the xperia's camera is a winner in everyshot. All my friends who seen pics from camera, are saying its great, the screen is impressive once you relaise that is doesnt overblow colours and overstaurate them, and the menu os os actually is a very dark grey, not black, which alot are dissapointed by it, thinking its the black levels that arent good. When I took a snapshot of the xperia z wallpaper, and viewed in gallery with bravia engine enabled, the colours and contrast really popped, similar to htc dispalys, however once again thats down to prefrence, some people prefer a natural life like viewing experience, while others prefer a high constrast high saturarion eye popping display, similar to how a tv is presented in stores , running on demo mode. While it might look great and eye cathing, you're not really going to take it home and watch a movie on it that way. first thing you do is tone it all down to a more natural setting, because in the end its much more pleasant on the eyes.
Thats how I feel about the xperia z display. The only thing my note wins in, is battery life. However with normal use, the xperia z takes me through a whole day. A compromise iam willing to make.

did mention the sound quality,?

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #27 of 88
I'm not quite sure how to interpret these results: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-review-887p7.php .

[size=inherit] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Test
[/td] [td] [size=inherit]Frequency response[/size][/td] [td] [size=inherit]Noise level[/size][/td] [td] [size=inherit]Dynamic range[/size][/td] [td] [size=inherit]THD[/size][/td] [td] [size=inherit]IMD + Noise[/size][/td] [td] [size=inherit]Stereo crosstalk[/size][/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Sony Xperia Z[/size][/td] [td] +0.11, -0.10[/td] [td] -81.9[/td] [td] 82.1[/td] [td] 0.043[/td] [td] 0.041[/td] [td] -81.3[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Sony Xperia Z (headphones attached)[/size][/td] [td] +0.62, -0.09[/td] [td] -81.7[/td] [td] 81.5[/td] [td] 0.204[/td] [td] 0.249[/td] [td] -56.4[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Sony Xperia T[/size][/td] [td] +0.11, -0.10[/td] [td] -86.1[/td] [td] 87.8[/td] [td] 0.023[/td] [td] 0.023[/td] [td] -84.1[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Sony Xperia T (headphones attached)[/size][/td] [td] +0.43, -0.11[/td] [td] -86.1[/td] [td] 87.5[/td] [td] 0.140[/td] [td] 0.260[/td] [td] -62.7[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]LG Optimus 4X HD[/size][/td] [td] +0.02, -0.52[/td] [td] -74.8[/td] [td] 74.8[/td] [td] 0.345[/td] [td] 0.318[/td] [td] -81.6[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]LG Optimus 4X HD (headphones attached)[/size][/td] [td] +0.03, -0.51[/td] [td] -70.1[/td] [td] 69.9[/td] [td] 0.815[/td] [td] 0.811[/td] [td] -64.5[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III[/size][/td] [td] +0.03, -0.05[/td] [td] -90.3[/td] [td] 90.3[/td] [td] 0.012[/td] [td] 0.018[/td] [td] -92.6[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III (headphones attached)[/size][/td] [td] +0.11, -0.04[/td] [td] -90.2[/td] [td] 90.2[/td] [td] 0.0092[/td] [td] 0.090[/td] [td] -53.1[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]HTC One X[/size][/td] [td] +0.02, -0.08[/td] [td] -82.1[/td] [td] 82.1[/td] [td] 0.137[/td] [td] 0.393[/td] [td] -80.7[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]HTC One X (headphones attached)[/size][/td] [td] +0.10, -0.10[/td] [td] -80.6[/td] [td] 80.6[/td] [td] 0.174[/td] [td] 0.459[/td] [td] -60.8[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]BlackBerry Z10[/size][/td] [td] +0.16, -0.29[/td] [td] -82.8[/td] [td] 82.6[/td] [td] 0.010[/td] [td] 0.022[/td] [td] -80.5[/td] [/size][/tr] [tr][size=inherit] [td] [size=inherit]BlackBerry Z10 (headphones attached)[/size][/td] [td] +0.18, -0.28[/td] [td] -82.7[/td] [td] 82.7[/td] [td] 0.014[/td] [td] 0.059[/td] [td] -45.3[/td] [/size][/tr] [/size]
[/size]

Does it mean the Galaxy SIII is significantly better than the Xperia Z or not?

Mar 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 88
I'll just stay with my Nokia Lumia 920 for the time being. Not the greatest sq, but quite good for being out & about. Works great, and nice battery life plus reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back