Upcoming Little Dot Mk VII
Jul 13, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #31 of 40
Shamu, have you tried the Beyer Dt48E through that amp?
Is it difficult to control the volume with it? (Getting very high with a little movement on the potentiometer, or?)

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #32 of 40
The gain settings are a bit of a mystery to me, even with the pdf manual download I can't work out all the different gain combinations this amp has.

It has 4 banks of 2 dip switches with numbers 1 & 2 and "on", I find it all very confusing.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #33 of 40
anadin: The amount of power an amp has is not related to the gain settings alone, just thought I'd let you know.

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had my LDMKVII for a few days now, as shamu144 has already mentioned this amp has an insane amount of drive, running in balanced mode using some HD600 (300ohm) my headphones are crying for mercy at the 40-50% volume mark.

I have never experienced a headphone amp with so much grunt, even in Low gain the HD600's sing and I mean sing
darthsmile.gif

This amp needs some serious burn-in, I found it scratchy and sibiliant early on but with around 150 hours on the clock it is just starting to settle down a tad.

The LDMKVII is like a caged animal, I would take extra care in choosing your prefered volume level when listening.

Any solid brief impressions anadin?

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shamu, have you tried the Beyer Dt48E through that amp?
Is it difficult to control the volume with it? (Getting very high with a little movement on the potentiometer, or?)

I don't own the LD MKVII, sorry.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any solid brief impressions anadin?

Only really what I said earlier, this amp isn't for the purist you really have to play around and tweak your source as the amp is so incredibly sensitive.

This amp is capable of driving an AKG K1000.

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #37 of 40
Wow!

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #38 of 40
Anybody tried the mk VII with Alessandro MS Pros or any other 30 ohm cans yet? Impressions? Any hissing like reported with the mk V on low impedance cans?

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #39 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody tried the mk VII with Alessandro MS Pros or any other 30 ohm cans yet? Impressions? Any hissing like reported with the mk V on low impedance cans?

Hey DSK

I have tried various Ultrasones (HFI-780, PRO750, PRO900), Denon AH-D5000 and a couple of my Grados. Silent across the board....

They all sound great, however, I don't own MS-PROs so can't advise on that particular phone.

FWIW, I prefer my Grados with tubes, but that's just me..
biggrin.gif

If you want to take a glance at my initial impressions with this amp in both balanced and SE mode- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/get...ssions-440697/

beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #40 of 40
Thanks HF12. Enjoyed your impressions.

Interesting point on the tubes with Grados. I've just bought the Ms Pros off eBay and don't have anything to drive them with. Unfortunately don't have time or anywhere local to hear good tube or SS headphone amps.

I've been tossing up whether I'd prefer the LD mkVII SS or LD mkIVSE tubes with them better. I do have a tube DAC not currently being used in my main speaker rig that I could use to 'flavour' the sound if the mkVII is a bit sterile ... though, being just a backup system to listen to music when I can't take over the lounge room, I want to keep it pretty simple.

Decisions ... decisions ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back