Unsure what to buy
May 14, 2008 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Awah

100+ Head-Fier
Ok. I'm in quite of a dilema here mainly because I have nest to no experience with headphones, amps or anything here on head-fi. I found this place while looking for earphones that would out do my Sony's and ended up buying UE Super.Fi 5 Pros which I have been enjoying since I bought them last year!

Now, I've been looking at purchasing a portable Amp/DAC for my laptop where I store all of my music. I can't stand the electronic noise that comes from that thing. I thinking of buying a RSA Predator at the moment but I'm also looking to purchase AKG K701's since the UE's get tiresome after awhile.

So, would purchasing the RSA Predator and AKG K701 be a good idea? Or should I look at other options.

Listen to Trance/Electronica and Metal/Symphonic Metal as my main music.

May 14, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 10
If I were going to use full-size headphones with a portable amp, I would take a serious look at Grados (specifically the SR225) and the Pico (with DAC). The AE-2 may be a slightly better match with Grados, but it doesn't have a DAC option. I'm sure someone who has heard both of these HeadAmp portables can comment on this...

I don't think you can get everything out of a headphone like the K701 with any portable amp.

May 14, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Don't know if this will be any help but I have SR225's (that I just love) I also am looking into an amp/dac for use mostly for my laptop. I have done lots of reading and it seems that the Pico is the best for the DAC, with the Predator a close 2nd. I'm still looking for something cheaper. $500 is a lot of cash, but everyone seems to think it is worth it, actually better then purchasing better headphones. Happy Hunting !!!

May 14, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Forget the portable amp. They won't cut it with a K-701. If you run a Grado, you don't need a portable amp. I enjoy my Grados straight out of my laptop or iPod.

If you want to spend $500 on great sound, try the PreSonus Central Station. I had one until I went analog and loved it. It has enough power to push even a K-1000 well. It has an excellent DAC and can even be used as a preamp for a speaker setup. Run a few searches here for the Central Station and you'll see that others love it, too.

May 14, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you run a Grado, you don't need a portable amp.

While that's pretty much true, I took careful note of the OP mentioning a noise problem with the computer setup. That will definitely be picked up with sensitive Grados, and an outboard DAC should solve that problem.

May 14, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I'm in quite of a dilema here mainly because I have nest to no experience with headphones, amps or anything here on head-fi. I found this place while looking for earphones that would out do my Sony's and ended up buying UE Super.Fi 5 Pros which I have been enjoying since I bought them last year!

Now, I've been looking at purchasing a portable Amp/DAC for my laptop where I store all of my music. I can't stand the electronic noise that comes from that thing. I thinking of buying a RSA Predator at the moment but I'm also looking to purchase AKG K701's since the UE's get tiresome after awhile.

So, would purchasing the RSA Predator and AKG K701 be a good idea? Or should I look at other options.

Listen to Trance/Electronica and Metal/Symphonic Metal as my main music.

woah, someone who likes pretty exactly what i do, im also looking for an amp/dac, but thed pico seems too much

i love the tf10 best

May 14, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 10
I am currently using an AE-2 with 325i's and MS1's, and am completely happy with the combination. From what I have read on the forum, it seems the general consensus is that the 701's really need a desktop amp to realize their true potential.

May 15, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 10
Hmm ok. So it seems I'd have to purchase myself a desktop amp to use the AKG K701 :p Maybe I can sneak that purchase somehow...lol

Ok. I NEED a DAC so the AE-2 is out of the question. The noise from my laptop is ridiculous, you can hear every beep and spin a computer can make lol.

So, I'm looking at the Pico and the Grados now. Would purchasing the 225's be better than the 325i's?

May 15, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm ok. So it seems I'd have to purchase myself a desktop amp to use the AKG K701 :p Maybe I can sneak that purchase somehow...lol

I am using the 701 out of the predator, with lossless files and except for some bass heavy stuff, the amp really improves the sound, and I am ecstatic with the sound. I think some of the problem with the 701 and portable amps is the quality of the source as much as the power of the amp. However, maybe with a desktop amp, it would be better but for good all around use, the predator seems great. I may trade in my 701s for the AT ESW9 soon though, those seem to look great and I was told work well with the predator. Good luck with the hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back