Unpopular/Uncommon Musical Opinions
Oct 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #76 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing wrong with pop itself, so long as it's good pop. I grew up in that aperture when "pop" was the dirtiest of words--The Archies and that guy who started the thing Big Star that nobody knows or cares about. It was a endless Manichean battle of ignerant armies between Rock and Disco. If you said you were into prog, you were pretty damn effete. I remember when I think it was mid-80s Spin started a column called Big Science put at the back of the monthly mag to discuss new "electronica" releases.

Oh I agree. I was being flippant really. I love a good pop hook as much as the next guy, but whatever that stuff is that sort of looks punk, and sort of wants to be punk... its not punk. Its perfectly safe, mainstream, throwaway stuff. With luck, in 20 years from now no one will remember it.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #77 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I agree. I was being flippant really. I love a good pop hook as much as the next guy, but whatever that stuff is that sort of looks punk, and sort of wants to be punk... its not punk. Its perfectly safe, mainstream, throwaway stuff. With luck, in 20 years from now no one will remember it.

Well, I have to agree with you that most pop-punk is just pop and utterly forgettable at that. But I gotta protest with an existential question that I still grapple with--Can I get a witness?--that we know that X's Los Angeles and Wild Gift, and The Replacements' Sorry Mom, Forgot to Take Out the Trash, and even Husker Du's Zen Arcade are all durable pop, but is it legit to try to stretch punk to them? *sigh* Probably not.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #78 of 270
A couple of bands I wouldn't pay to see: U2 and Kiss.

I liked U2's first three albums and then they bought into their own publicity. At this point very highly overrated.

I never found Kiss to be heavy enough to go with the image they were trying to portray.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #79 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am literally stunned that I have found one other person with my same exact feelings about those three albums. I have been a fan of theirs since I saw them open for Rollins Band shortly after Opiate was released, and I think their latest work is deeply disappointing, but unlike virtually every other "true"' Tool fan, I never thought AEnima was especially good, at least compared to Undertow. Undertow loses steam towards the end, but it is a very focused, angry, young record, before Tool began to experiment with more prog tendencies and meandered too much with AEnima. Then it all culminated in the brilliant Lateralus, and they flushed it all away with 10000 Days.

Sad.

Exactly the opposite for me.

I absolutely love 10,000 Days. Its the best Tool album. Lateralus astounded me the first time I heard it. The track 'Lateralus' itself has a big inspiration. Parabol/Parabola is one of my favorite songs, along with Triad. I just cannot listen to it as much I can to 10K days or Aenima. I believe Aenima is a better album than Lateralus, and 10000 Days is the best.

In Rainbows is the best Radiohead album. OK Computer is grossly overrated.

I hate the Beatles

And Nirvana.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #80 of 270
Quote:

Well, I have to agree with you that most pop-punk is just pop and utterly forgettable at that. But I gotta protest with an existential question that I still grapple with--Can I get a witness?--that we know that X's Los Angeles and Wild Gift, and The Replacements' Sorry Mom, Forgot to Take Out the Trash, and even Husker Du's Zen Arcade are all durable pop, but is it legit to try to stretch punk to them? *sigh* Probably not.

I've been pondering about this exact same thing for a while now myself, in particular concerning Hüsker Dü. I've concluded with yes, there is in fact little about them that's not punk. It's aggressive, simple, raw, un-pretentious music-making, often involving some sort of heartfelt protest.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #81 of 270
Quote:

The Treaty of Versaille is an important historical document. T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland is another. The Velvet Underground and Nico and White Light White Heat are important historically, but they're a pain in the ass to have to listen straight through. VU+Nico has got some classic tunes, but who gives a rats-ass for the experimental proto-punk noise. I'd much rather read Loaded.

Haha, I guess I understand what you're saying, but I just took VU&N for a spin. To me it is an album with an exceptionally high goosebumps factor, don't really know how or why, it just gets under my skin.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #82 of 270
Quote:

What is pop? Isn't pop short for popular? These albums aren't really mainstream fare. They don't bring to mind bands like The Archies, Bay City Rollers, Debbie Gibson, and Blink 182
biggrin.gif
. They're clearly punk. If early X isn't punk, I don't know who is. Most of Zen Arcade seems pretty far from mainstream accessible. Whatever they're calling punk today doesn't sound like this.

How are you defining pop? Let's start there.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #83 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I guess I understand what you're saying, but I just took VU&N for a spin. To me it is an album with an exceptionally high goosebumps factor, don't really know how or why, it just gets under my skin.

Same here.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #84 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by darcyb62 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of bands I wouldn't pay to see: U2 and Kiss.

Apparently, recent U2 tours have been a blast! Bono's not to be missed when he's in mufti, wrapped in a man-sized feather boa and strumming a six-string famished Darfurian, lovingly crafted from all natural fibres. Sometimes he does a really funky number about Bahamian offshore savings accounts that he hasn't released yet, and I heard that the last time he played Rome, Benedict XVI got up on stage with his glockenspiel and they jammed on a cover of Fear's "New York's Alright (If you like saxophones)."

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #85 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been pondering about this exact same thing for a while now myself, in particular concerning Hüsker Dü. I've concluded with yes, there is in fact little about them that's not punk. It's aggressive, simple, raw, un-pretentious music-making, often involving some sort of heartfelt protest.

Dammit limpidglitch! You talk about them like they're just some guys from Minneapolis or something!

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #86 of 270
Quote:

Most of Zen Arcade seems pretty far from mainstream accessible. Whatever they're calling punk today doesn't sound like this.

How are you defining pop? Let's start there.

Well, pop's got these amazing hooks. And the people who sing pop bring peace and joy to the hearts of multitudes of enthusiastic young people. So, Zen Arcade really is pretty poppy when you realize that "Sadomasochism World" would be a perfect B-side to Mylie Cyrus' next hit single. And I can see Tom Delay performing a spirited jitterbug on Dancing with the Stars to "Sex and Dying in High Society." In my mind's eye, he's wearing his red and white striped pants with the blue shirt that has the big stars made with sequins.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #87 of 270
Yeah, I know I'm abusing this thread.

They say that if Momma Cass had shared the ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter, they'd both be alive today. It just occurred to me that what happened to Jimi Hendrix was a profound tragedy, but what is still happening to Shane McGowan is even more heart-wrenching.

Oh! And what happened to Jim Morrison? --Well that's Showbiz!!!

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #89 of 270
Wouldn't it be nice if they had a sarcastic font?

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #90 of 270
Quote:

I can never tell when someone's putting me on.

Like this?:

Quote:

Apparently, recent U2 tours have been a blast! Bono's not to be missed when he's in mufti, wrapped in a man-sized feather boa and strumming a six-string famished Darfurian, lovingly crafted from all natural fibres. Sometimes he does a really funky number about Bahamian offshore savings accounts that he hasn't released yet, and I heard that the last time he played Rome, Benedict XVI got up on stage with his glockenspiel and they jammed on a cover of Fear's "New York's Alright (If you like saxophones)."

I'm starting to get a little suspicious too.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back