Unpopular/Uncommon Musical Opinions
Oct 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #46 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am literally stunned that I have found one other person with my same exact feelings about those three albums. I have been a fan of theirs since I saw them open for Rollins Band shortly after Opiate was released, and I think their latest work is deeply disappointing, but unlike virtually every other "true"' Tool fan, I never thought AEnima was especially good, at least compared to Undertow. Undertow loses steam towards the end, but it is a very focused, angry, young record, before Tool began to experiment with more prog tendencies and meandered too much with AEnima. Then it all culminated in the brilliant Lateralus, and they flushed it all away with 10000 Days.

Sad.

AEnima is one of the few albums that has changed my life. Especially the song H. That song had a profound impact on me.

I don't like Undertow. Sober is a nice track, but I find the rest to be a bit too juvenile.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #47 of 270
I'm probably opening a can of worms here, because I have never expressed this opinion to anyone who agreed.

But.......I don't believe good music should be danced to. I believe that if music is great (subjective as to what is great) then it should be purely listened to. Music that is made solely for dancing is never good in my opinion...........I'll shut up now because if I go any further I will probably get on people's ignore lists LOL

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #48 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Donunus, that's a series of albums from previous decades that happened to come out recently. Time to move on
smily_headphones1.gif

hahaha you got me. I got a soft spot for the 80s styles and offshoots
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #49 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm probably opening a can of worms here, because I have never expressed this opinion to anyone who agreed.

But.......I don't believe good music should be danced to. I believe that if music is great (subjective as to what is great) then it should be purely listened to. Music that is made solely for dancing is never good in my opinion...........I'll shut up now because if I go any further I will probably get on people's ignore lists LOL

Depends on what you mean by "dance" though
tongue.gif
Good music always gets my body moving... but I'm guessing that calling it "dancing" would be a great injustice to the term.
biggrin.gif

I think being able to make you move your body is a mark of great music.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #50 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classic rock gets one year older and staler every year. I think it's possible that something so fleeting as rock music cannot, in fact, have "classics" at all. Certainly, most of the people who stand for "rock" today are more stuck up than their parents were at their age.

Part of why 'classic rock' gets more craw-stickingly stale with each passing year is that the profoundly conservative classic rock stations take their whole selected canon out of the cashola-infested Billboard Top-40 -- 1962-1989. That mess was not a reliable indicator of the best of rock then, nor is it now that the classic rock station is taking time out from shilling for a new Counting Crows album to shill for an old Led Zep album.

And I utterly agree with your second observation: here where we are regaled daily with the entire history of Southern-fried Rock--all 34 years of it--one will listen to a marginal hit of 74' and hear the singer stomp-around about how narrow-minded Old-Time Religion and Social Conformity are. The Southern Man wants Neil Young to stop pontificating about racism and segregation--Hey, man, it's like '74, and nobody with sense believes in that old absurd load of bullship any more--but Southern Man has gots a beef with the whole get married young, become VP of Sales at the Chevy dealership, and gitcha set-up with a litter of children and a little white house in the suburbs. Southern Man isn't buying Dad's bag--he wants to score some bud, get laid, ride out of town, and be free. He wants to drink beer and raise hell! What's wrong with that--it's the American Dream. It's in the Preamble of the Constitution.

When Ronnie VZ sings, "Be a Simple Kind of Man," he's not saying to buy what your Preacher, your Senator, and what your Plant Manager are selling you. Bullship doesn't just smell like politics: it's redolent of local religion and the JCs too.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #51 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a huge post-rock fan, but you might be onto something here. And I think that this might have something to do with why post-rock is dominantly instrumental. Most of the concepts that post-rock artists want to convey - I think - are done in an abstract manner: Through instrumentation, sampling and creating an atmosphere rather than using lyrics.

Although I'd hold back on agreeing with "they are limited to emoting incoherent surrealism and facile allegories because most of them don't have anything worth saying." I just think that they don't directly/explicitly put into words what they want to express.

Damn-right, I'm right! -Ugh, but thank you kindly for the reasonable concession.
ksc75smile.gif
Again, I think that the instrumentation and lyricism of melodic post-rock are great--a terrific antidote to hearing the same repetitive beat of the patented generic-brand punk/reggae/rap saga or 'workmanlike' slow metal anthem (the one that your girlfriend doesn't mind listening to with you in your Bronco).

But I just have to shake my head in agonized, eye-crossing incredulity when I hear people explain that *whutevvver!* the lyrics are nattering on about is simply incidental to the music.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #52 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't make it all the way through Dark Side of the Moon. The Great Gig in the Sky makes me want to shove paperclips up my ears (talk about the punishment fitting the crime). Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite albums, however.

angry_face.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #53 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't make it all the way through Dark Side of the Moon. The Great Gig in the Sky makes me want to shove paperclips up my ears (talk about the punishment fitting the crime). Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite albums, however.

I know! Talk about punishment.......How about that Beethoven.........That 5th Symphony makes me want to stab myself:) OKOK, I'm kidding, sorry....couldn't resist:)

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #54 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spiff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+3.14159

Everytime I hear someone lament how no one makes good music anymore I feel impelled to do unspeakable violence. Do these people ever leave their houses?

I think, in general, people like the music they listened to in high school and college. And most people don't even attempt to expand their musical horizons. That's why so many baby boomers think there's no good music any more. But it also goes both ways. It's why some young people don't think older music is any good.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #55 of 270
Quote:

I know! Talk about punishment.......How about that Beethoven.........That 5th Symphony makes me want to stab myself:) OKOK, I'm kidding, sorry....couldn't resist:)

In fairness, I just listened to it again to see if I missed anything. Nope, sorry
tongue.gif

Part of me wants to have the same reaction others have when they listen to it. Its obvious that many think it is one of the greatest songs ever recorded. Many people have a strong emotional attachment to it (and the rest of DSOTM), but this song does absolutely nothing for me. And that is why I love music.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #56 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of unpopular opinions, I love country. Not much of contemporary country, but classic country and alt.county/y'allternative/No Depression..

I don't consider your view particularly uncommon around here, with that hedge considered. Now, if you should declare a love for recent pop country like Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, or whatever else, then I'll give you some props.
devil_face.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #57 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2000s > 90's/70's > 60's > 80's

Nope, you're completely wrong

80-90-70-00-60, in descending order. And to organize musical epochs, or other aspects of history by decades is absurd.

People who say there is no good hip-hop around any more, are ignorant. Don't expect to find any of the real gems by just scratching the surface.

Blink-182, NOFX, Green Day etc. is not Punk. Iggy, Patti, Sex Pistols, The Clash etc. is.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #58 of 270
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this is a thread I can get behind. This is going to be fun, lets make some people mad. For now I'm not going to back these up, but I am willing to expand if necessary.

First off, I've already discussed this in the Embryonic thread, but Yoshimi sucks.

Every Animal Collective album is completely unlistenable. (So glad to see this covered already.)

I can understand how some people don't 'get' the Flaming Lips, and Animal Collective.
Even I don't enjoy a lot of the older AC or Lips albums.

But please refrain from being:
this album sucks, or "omg, so many ppl like this band but really they suck", "What, theres no catchy rhythm (usually stolen) or crystal clear recording and poppy voices.."

Musicians put a ton of time and effort into their work, and it really bugs me when people just distastefully bash/insult it. There's always going to be music that isn't going to be understood by people.

opinions are fine, just don't be rude.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #59 of 270
Quote:

I actually agree! Music should be much more personal experience. (Headbanging and feet-tapping and such doesnt count) At its core, good music is something you sink in, and not move and jump around like a hobo on crack.
smily_headphones1.gif

That doesnt mean I dislike dancing. Well, okay I do, though I have danced a lot in weddings and such, but in those situations music is definetly not the important part.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #60 of 270
oh! I just thought of a great one for me:

The growling/screaming vocals is for the love of God IS SINGING

Each singer has their own voice in that style, just as every clean vocalist sounds different every growly vocalist sounds different.

It also does take practice/skill to keep it up, in the same sound, through out entire songs--even more when you put raw emotion into it, as clean singers often do(the good ones)

If you say its so easy I have a test for you:

Just try talking in a growly voice
now make it go deep
now high
try doing a scream
and to top of it, do a inhaling scream/vocals(singing/screaming on the inhale and not the exhale)
also try putting felling/emotion into the growls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back