Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread.
Jun 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #61 of 145
  I had a similar belief a few months ago, especially when I was low on cash. My issue was this: I sell stuff on eBay all the time, and I ship stuff all the time. For small items, especially small and light items (read: XL pads), you can ship very inexpensively. USPS First Class Shipping is always under $2, and that's for me, so if you're a big company with a contract, you could probably get that even cheaper (or that's just how it worked out in my head, that's really all speculation). So, paying $5 seemed ridiculous to me. But I got a job, and I started using my headphones more, so I coughed the money up. I don't regret it, although I do think that shipping is still overpriced. 

As for the price of the headphones, I do not think they're overpriced at all. You have to take in so many factors when figuring out a price, part of which includes the price of your competition. For all you get on your M100s for that $300 price tag, I think it's plenty worth it, especially when the all plastic competition is selling for the same price. 

I ordered a set of custom shields from them. They charge $5 postage to Oz. It came in a little envelope. No product box.Really!!??

The UE6000 can't really compete in build quality, but it comes close. Really robust plastic cups, and metal headband. The sound is seriously on par- just a more even response- so I actually prefer it in a lot of ways. They blow the M100 out of the water for comfort. Almost 1/4 the price. Seriously, the same reason Beats get hated on should also apply to V-Moda.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #62 of 145
Why do Beats get hated on again? Bad sound quality? Build quality is terrible? Everyone buys them because they see their favorite rap star using them? How does that stuff apply to VMODA, lol? You can't really compare the UE-6000 to the M100s, so I'm not going to argue that. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #63 of 145
  Why do Beats get hated on again? Bad sound quality? Build quality is terrible? Everyone buys them because they see their favorite rap star using them? How does that stuff apply to VMODA, lol? You can't really compare the UE-6000 to the M100s, so I'm not going to argue that. 

The Beats actually get a pretty good write up in What-Hifi. And I agree with them. they're great at certain genres which I listen to.

You can compare the UE's to the M100s and several reviewers on this site have. The M100's have also been mentioned in the same sentence as the M50's too (currently ~$150 or less ,I'm not sure).

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #64 of 145

I ordered a set of custom shields from them. They charge $5 postage to Oz. It came in a little envelope. No product box.Really!!??

The UE6000 can't really compete in build quality, but it comes close. Really robust plastic cups, and metal headband. The sound is seriously on par- just a more even response- so I actually prefer it in a lot of ways. They blow the M100 out of the water for comfort. Almost 1/4 the price. Seriously, the same reason Beats get hated on should also apply to V-Moda.

The UE6000 was just... no. So much no. They're 1/4 the price for a damn good reason. Glad you like 'em, but no. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #65 of 145

The UE6000 was just... no. So much no. They're 1/4 the price for a damn good reason. Glad you like 'em, but no. 

They're 1/4 the price simply due to build quality, ...and oh, they're just more sensibly priced than the M100s.
Search some threads on this site. Im not the only one. Have u even heard either hp?

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #66 of 145
I'm just stating something A LOT of members on Headfi think, but are afraid to say, in a way that they aren't about Dre's. Just a different crowd here I guess.

PS- I have first hand experience with the HP's I mentioned (and a lot more). For the M100's $300, about $150 of that is for brand and build quality. It's worth $200 at most. Probably about $150 for sq alone.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #67 of 145
Something just dawned on me. I've been censored on this site in the past when making negative comments about V-Moda. I just noticed the amount of advertising they do on this site (heaps) and the amount Dre's Beats do here (zilch). Now there's a conspiracy theory for you.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #68 of 145

They're 1/4 the price simply due to build quality, ...and oh, they're just more sensibly priced than the M100s.
Search some threads on this site. Im not the only one. Have u even heard either hp?

Please tell me you're not so dense as to have not looked two inches down to my signature where it clearly says I actually own the M100s.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #70 of 145

I'm just stating something A LOT of members on Headfi think, but are afraid to say, in a way that they aren't about Dre's. Just a different crowd here I guess.

PS- I have first hand experience with the HP's I mentioned (and a lot more). For the M100's $300, about $150 of that is for brand and build quality. It's worth $200 at most. Probably about $150 for sq alone.

What does that even mean? "For SQ alone"? So basically you'd rather a headphone be made out of cheap cardboard that falls apart and feels like crap on your head than pay a few bucks extra for a well-built product that will last a lifetime?

The UE6000's are cheaply built, sound mediocre at best, aren't that comfortable, and look terrible. They're $70 for a reason. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #71 of 145

what about the UE's?

Yep. Heard 'em as well. Did not like them at all. Plugged a pair straight into my 5s and played a bunch of my music on it. The word "meh" ricocheted around in my head louder than the music itself. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #72 of 145

Yep. Heard 'em as well. Did not like them at all. Plugged a pair straight into my 5s and played a bunch of my music on it. The word "meh" ricocheted around in my head louder than the music itself. 

U mean Iphone "5s"? A great many hp's plugged into those would be "meh". Coming out of my DX100, the UE's are on par with the M100s. As are the M50s, as are the the Shure 840s, as are the (still cheaper) Kef M500s, as you can see I could go on.

I'm not saying the M100s are bad, I think they're great. Just not $300 plus postage great, that's all.
I do wear them outside, primarily because they look good and sound good, but if it was just down to pure sound quality and comfort, I probably wouldn't use them at all. I would favour the other cans I own which are cheaper.

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #73 of 145

U mean Iphone "5s"? A great many hp's plugged into those would be "meh". Coming out of my DX100, the UE's are on par with the M100s. As are the M50s, as are the the Shure 840s, as are the (still cheaper) Kef M500s, as you can see I could go on.

I'm not saying the M100s are bad, I think they're great. Just not $300 plus postage great, that's all.
I do wear them outside, primarily because they look good and sound good, but if it was just down to pure sound quality and comfort, I probably wouldn't use them at all. I would favour the other cans I own which are cheaper.

Okay if you're gonna call the SRH840s (which I also used to own) "on par" with the M100s you just tipped your hand.

The SRH840 is a neutral, almost clinically so, headphone. The M100 is warm and bassy. They sound absolutely nothing alike. You can say which one you like more, but they have nothing remotely similar sonically except that they are both indeed headphones. They are not "on par" by any stretch of the imagination. The M50s, meanwhile, sound like a budget version of the M100.

Also I can't even imagine why in the hell you'd plug a $70 headphone into a $900 DAP. And if you're gonna talk overpriced...

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #74 of 145

Okay if you're gonna call the SRH840s (which I also used to own) "on par" with the M100s you just tipped your hand.

The SRH840 is a neutral, almost clinically so, headphone. The M100 is warm and bassy. They sound absolutely nothing alike. You can say which one you like more, but they have nothing remotely similar sonically except that they are both indeed headphones. They are not "on par" by any stretch of the imagination. The M50s, meanwhile, sound like a budget version of the M100.

Also I can't even imagine why in the hell you'd plug a $70 headphone into a $900 DAP. And if you're gonna talk overpriced...

I didn't say they sounded "alike". I said they sounded "on-par". And I think I'm absolutely right. In pure hi-fi terms, the 840 is much greater considered a "hi'fi" headphone than the M100, which is about as un-neutral as headphones get. It depends on what sort of signature you like. Neutral headphone lovers (ie hi-fi headphone lovers) would hate the M100.

The better the source, the better the sound will be from the headphone. Have u heard a hp coming out of anything other than ur Iphone? Probably not eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back