Unofficial: Schiit DIY Coaster Amp
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #181 of 326
IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0005.jpg Here is the 4 inch security camera dome that someone mentioned, pretty well a perfect size, they are cheap out of China and well protected when they arrive. I just laid this one over the bottom half of an eight ball. Two of these with the mounting brackets removed and it gets more and more Escheresque.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #182 of 326
Very cool sir :thumbsup:

So how are you finding multibit?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #183 of 326
I will have to read back and give proper credit to whoever thought of this, maybe Jimmers or Kimbo.

I like the Multibit, sound quality is much better than the DAC's I was using before. I always heard power supply and preamp stage were very important with them but I am sure it is also how they are reading the info. I do believe it is a keeper, and I have run it into four class a headphone amps, switched with Freya and that is a great combo.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #184 of 326
I am still amazed at the diffrence from several D/S dacs I've tried and 2 I still have compared to Yggy
With the exception of the speakers/cans it is such a difference maker in sound.

My Yggy did not sound great till it was running for 2 weeks at least, so Gumby is bound to improve more.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #185 of 326
Cool, I had little time to listen tonight .

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #186 of 326
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #187 of 326
Aussies are unique and rarely random. :smile_phones: My memory is not what it used to be but I was taught at an early age to always give credit, where credit is due so thanks for clearing that up.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #189 of 326
Yeah I've got all the parts, but I think I need to get some different solder and some flux and such. Right now I'm working a pi project for a friend on here.

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #190 of 326
Whatever works best for you on soldering. Personally I just used a tiny diameter hollow core solder that already contains flux but then I started soldering in the seventies and even went through a six week soldering course. :)

If you do have issues with the Coaster, I hope you know I would send you a working one that I built.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #191 of 326
Too bad we can't use tetrodes like the TH-558 or the new 4CM500,000G on the coaster. It would really boost the wattage up. I guess if we could get Jason to use them that would be some "hot crap"

Attachments

• DATASHEET SEARCH SITE _ WWW.ALLDATASHEET.COM.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 18, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #192 of 326
Yes black marks on all diode locations

So, the side with the line goes on the pad marked in black? Could you post a closeup of the diode placements?

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #193 of 326
That photo is about as close as i can get and show all of the diodes. If you look closely at the lines for the diodes, there is one end that is actually closed in while the other side is open, the side that is closed is the cathode side and the bar on the diode needs to go there. It is also represented by a line on the schematic, that is the cathode side.

The LED's are a bit trickier, there is a small green dot on the cathode end as I recall, on those both black lines would go to the end of the board with the power plug, CN2.

I have an appointment this morn but if I get a chance later I may be able to get a closeup of an individual diode.or you can copy and paste the photo and expand it in a picture program on your computer or tablet or even smart phone.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #194 of 326
So I just inventoried my parts. I have a few extras if someone is having trouble finding a particular part let me know and I'll see if I have what you need.

Looking at the pictures, the schematic, and the BOM. I ordered 10 switches cause I've got 4 coasters and the BOM says you need 2 switches for each board. But I can only find one switch on the schematic, marked on the board, or in the pictures. Am I missing something here or is there a mistake in the BOM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back