Unnecesarily Loud Sounds
Jul 5, 2006 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jforsyth89

Head-Fier
Some of the topics on head-fi, mostly those talking about titinus/hearing loss, have gotten me thinking.

On the 3rd of July I went to a rehearsal concert for the Boston Pops, which featured 3 songs by Aerosmith (Well, only Stephen Tyler and Joe Perry were there, but the Pops handled the instrumentals). The performance was great, but I couldn't help thinking how loud it was throughout the show. I was in the back and the music was uncomforatably loud, and damaged my overall enjoyment of things. I covered my ears halfway so that I it wouldn't bother me, but was the only one doing so and therefore felt kind of dorky. I can't imagine how the people sitting in front closer to the bulk of the speaker system could stand it.

Am I the only one who thinks many public shows are too loud? Movies lately, especially action ones, have really been bothering me. Just because the theater wants to show me an explosion doesn't mean I deserve to go deaf like a real one just happened. The same goes for concerts. How do the people organizing these events not realize how loud the sound is? And what is the advantage of loud sounds? They don't help you hear better, and they don't add imersiveness. They just hurt your ears and can result in permanent damage.

Most people are just uninformed about hearing loss, and think of loud sounds as a temporary incovenience. I know that I want to keep my hearing intact, and I assume the people on this forum who spend thousands on music quality would agree. I'm just tired of having to worry about my hearing in places where we have 100% control over the volume of sound.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 19
I allways carry a pair of earplugs in my pocket when I go to concerts. They are like a condom, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 19
Better than earplugs are ER-20. You should try them out and you will be hooked, I take them everywhere.

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 19
Absolutely, outdoor shows right next to the speakers are bad news. As said above, stop by your grocery/deli/drugstore and pick up some plugs to protect yourself.

Jul 5, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
Better than earplugs are ER-20. You should try them out and you will be hooked, I take them everywhere.

Same here, I keep mien on my keys.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 19
Are there different type of plugs or something? If so, what's recommended? I keep going to barmitzvahs and getting killed by loud music. I don't understand why slow dancing music must be blasted, and I don't understand why at a place where people want to talk, they blast music.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 19
If you don't like loud don't go to a concert that you know will be loud. It's all part of the experience and the last thing we need is the nanny state moderating db levels at rock concerts, jesus that would be the last straw.

Jul 5, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 19
where were you standing? I was outside, at the edge of "the oval", near entrance #1, and did not think it was ear-splittingly loud as you are saying, and i have fairly sensitive ears (listen to my rio karma on volume 1 with my e4's in a relatively quiet room).

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam

Those are great as well, Though I misplaced mine. Lucky that I have an extra pair.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Last Friday night I went bar hopping around the town square. All featured live bands, and all were insanely loud throughout. Two of the bars were well into my pain threshold. It was pretty much impossible to have a conversation unless you're good at reading lips. The first bar was the worst; the damn place was the size of a shoebox and the band was playing not more that 8-10 feet away from the majority of the partons. Speakers cranked. I listen to my headphones loud, but this was ridiculous. I was definitely the only person concerned about my hearing. Yeah, I kinda jerked the girl I was with (just a friend) around and stayed no longer than 10 minutes at each bar before finding a more suitable venue. I'll be damned if I was going to stay all night and then have to deal with the consequences.

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
If you don't like loud don't go to a concert that you know will be loud. It's all part of the experience and the last thing we need is the nanny state moderating db levels at rock concerts, jesus that would be the last straw.

"Part of the experience"? Did you ever consider that the experience may sound a hell of a lot better at lower volume levels?

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd

I don't understand why they need to be incredibly loud, but I guess other people like it that way and don't want to interrupt it. But movies are another story.

The funny thing is I didn't realize there was going to be an Aerosmith performance. I live a couple of blocks away from the concert, and just grabbed a couple of friends and went.

To steel102: I was about in line with the entrance to the Fielder Foot Bridge, about 3/4 of the way from the black recording booth in the middle to the fence. It wasn't the exact back, but it was close.

I wouldn't call it ear-splitting, it was certainly better than those dances I used to go to in high school. But still, I thought it was louder than it needed to be and was uncomfortable to listen to. I didn't cover my ears at all for the first song, and when the music stopped I was left with some ringing and my hearing volume decreased. For the second/third songs I covered them and was fine. The regular Pops music didnt bother me except for a few short periods, and Rocapella was negligably above comfortable listening volume. I'm only 18 if that is of any consequence.

Do you live in Boston or were you just visiting?

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 19
in addition to bars and concerts, sometimes ambient noises can be unbearable for me. for example, last night i went to a bubble tea shop and with the sound of the blenders going, a large crowd chatting and loud music playing on the speakers, i was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed with all the sounds and the overall noise level. it was at that moment i wish i had my er20s on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back