unmodifying pair of Markl 2000
Sep 30, 2008 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Leicachamp

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I have received a pair of markl modded( note: these were not modded by mark, but arteom himself) denons 2000 from arteom. My intial impressions was that it had great bass and detailed topend, but sounded mighty thin in the mids. Also it was sibilant to the point of being annoying. I was about to on sell them , but decided to experiment with the earpads. I removed all the extra stuffing as well as the ring that held the stuffing in place.

The results is that the mids sound much fuller and the siblience is now gone. So if anybody has the markl modded phones and find that the sound is not quite right, you may want to unmod the earpads before you give up.

BTW i am driving them with a Darkvoice 336 with no problems.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Good to hear that you've received them
biggrin.gif
. The phones will indeed sound a bit "fuller" or more intimate with the pads stock, my preference was with the pads stuffed. Am glad that you have found a configuration that you enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy Listening!

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 8
I did the pads on mine, and would never go back, but I can see how some people would prefer the stock sound. The sibilance thing is weird though...for me, without the mod, they were not quite sibilant, but very "in your face" with both the treble and bass. Having thin mids might be a perceptual thing...what phones were you using before? I find the D2000 mids slightly more recessed than the ends, but performing the mod ddn't change them either way...only the bass and treble.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 8
Wait wait.. Un-modding the pads will bring the mids back??

I've been listening to my PX100's all weekend and just realized how much of the mids I've been forgetting with the Denon because of the awesome bass. And honestly I've done a bum job of stuffing the pads so they aren't too comfortable. All the more reason to give it a try
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 8
I didn't notice loss of mids with the earpad mods. It's more like controlling the bass and boosted the treble a little. I like the treble more when it was stock, but the mod is necessary for me to reduce the bass. People have different preference on bass I guess.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 8
I got my results probably because the darkvoice did a really good job in controlling the bass. The unstuffed 2000 sounded more direct, like the Grado RS2s which I liked. The modded version certainly sounded more spacious but at the expense of a recessed midrange.

I noticed too that markl is no longer doing the earpad mod on any future mods unless it is requested. He states that in the end he feels the stuffed earpads do not sound any better.

The great thing about all this is that everybody has the option of customising their sound for hardly any cost.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Another thing everyone should take in to consideration, is that most people compare a modded pair of denons with the sound of an umodded pair which has not yet been broken in. You really need a pair of headphones to be used for at least 500 hrs to really judge how it would sound. My pair from arteom have been used for t least 8 months so they have been really been broken in.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

I noticed too that markl is no longer doing the earpad mod on any future mods unless it is requested. He states that in the end he feels the stuffed earpads do not sound any better.

?????????????????????????????????
confused_face_2.gif

I am no longer stuffing the cups with the tiny bit of fiberloft I was using in the early days. Stuffing the pads is still a central and recommended part of the mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back