University of Virginia Student Graduates in One Year
Sep 21, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
How many credits per each course?

In the college I graduated from, taking more credits would need your advisor's approval plus you have to pay more money since your tuition only covers so many credits. But taking signficantly more credits means you gotta have something to prove yourself.

3 credits per course except my 2 labs which are only 1 credit per 3-4 hour lab.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
That is amazing!

Still other than his IQ those board scores aren't phenomenally exceptional to enter medicine at 12!!

You know how it is.....37 MCAT is approx 97-98th percentile. Since it's scored on a bell curve, any 37+ score is essentially the same.

Sep 21, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
So for 37 credits, how do you fit 13 courses in 5 days? When I was in college I even had problem fitting 5 courses in 5 days in some semesters without getting a conflict.

I doubt he attended all of the classes.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
You know how it is.....37 MCAT is approx 97-98th percentile. Since it's scored on a bell curve, any 37+ score is essentially the same.

I have some classmates (and maybe myself) who would have a problem with you saying a 37 is "essentially the same" as a 40.

If youll look at the way the test is scored, each increasing number is geometically harder to obtain. therefore a 37 is SIGNIFICANTLY different than a 40 or a 42.

Just to clarify...

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit

Oh I know

But you would assume he could have done better.

It's just like getting a 264 on the Step 1. Sure it's a 99 percentile. But then again so is a 240. And if you're applying for plastics at Southwestern (direct) it makes a huge difference
wink.gif

Still the medicine thing at 12 is unheard of. On the other hand there are a few direct plastics programs.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
I have some classmates (and maybe myself) who would have a problem with you saying a 37 is "essentially the same" as a 40.

If youll look at the way the test is scored, each increasing number is geometically harder to obtain. therefore a 37 is SIGNIFICANTLY different than a 40 or a 42.

Just to clarify...

ok? 3-question difference? once you're in this upper echelon, that's the difference between a 14 and a 15. 1 question, usually. I did look at the way the test is scored. I studied for it and took it. At this end of the bell curve, each increasing number is not geometrically harder to obtain. Look at it this way: a 41 is 99.9th percentile, a 37 is 97-98th percentile, a 33 is 90th percentile. Which 4 point difference yields a greater percentile difference?

And a 42 doesn't make much of a difference than a 37 in terms of medical school admission. Take it from the people with 40+ scores.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak

Still the medicine thing at 12 is unheard of. On the other hand there are a few direct plastics programs.

Yeah it's weird....he's in the MD/PhD program to delay his medical school graduation, though.

Sep 21, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #24 of 52
jesus, 37 credits in a semester... and i was complaining about 17...

but i look way cooler than that dude, what with his tinted prescription glasses and all
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #25 of 52
37 credits a semester is dooable. The trick is not attending conflicting classes. This of course did happen for him and he was excused. One is able to receive special permission from the university when conflicts arise, to continue enrolment in said courses while intensionally missing them. In his case, he was obviously well surpervised by the school (in that they knew exactly what he was up to) and were supporting him all the way.

Provided that the school knows what is up and has confidence in the student, taking many courses like this or multiple degrees at a time are permitted. You just have to write out the cheques
smily_headphones1.gif
So long as they have their money they don't much care what happens
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #27 of 52
yea, neither of the schools I attend right now would let me do that. But its probably a good thing, 2 schools at once is enough. Heck, not letting either school know I'm enrolled in the other is a challenge in and of itself

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Unless he is gifted in memory, I doubt he'll remember all what he learned during his 37-unit semester. Plus, how prerequisite system works in that university? Some classes require three or more other classes which cannot be taken concurrently.

Sometimes, schools will wage this prereq depending on the student's demonstrated aptitude in other courses. Nothing is truly set in stone. As another head-fier mentioned, when good publicity is involved...the world is at one's finger tips.

Sep 21, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
yea, neither of the schools I attend right now would let me do that. But its probably a good thing, 2 schools at once is enough. Heck, not letting either school know I'm enrolled in the other is a challenge in and of itself

Careful. If one or the other school finds out...they could kick you out. I had a friend doing a civil law degree in Canada and a common law degree in the UK and the school in Canada found out and forced his hand. He put his schooling in the UK on hold until he had completed his studies in Canada. Had he been frank with them, there is a good bet he would have been permitted to do both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back