Universals, what a waste of money
Nov 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

joesuburb

100+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to share my thoughts.  I've had never even considered customs.  I thought they were too dorky looking, plus it just wasn't worth the hassle.  Well, I was really interested with the concept of the UE IERMs I bought, plus they were local, so I didn't have to deal with an audiologist appointment.

After years and years of universal IEMs, this is my 1st pair of customs.  All I can say, is that I don't have to adjust them.  I don't think about them.  I just hear the music.  There is no stress on my ears.  I feel like a fool for ever spending a penny on IEMs, let alone $400.

I love these UEs.  But, they are $1000.00  But they go down to $400.00.  There are lots of brands to choose, so if my opinion counts for anything, buy customs.  I honestly believe I'm going to enjoy these for 5+ years.  I normally break or get sick of them in 6 months.  Better to by something you will love and will last for $400, then something you will toss in 6 months.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 63

Quote:
I just wanted to share my thoughts.  I've had never even considered customs.  I thought they were too dorky looking, plus it just wasn't worth the hassle.  Well, I was really interested with the concept of the UE IERMs I bought, plus they were local, so I didn't have to deal with an audiologist appointment.

After years and years of universal IEMs, this is my 1st pair of customs.  All I can say, is that I don't have to adjust them.  I don't think about them.  I just hear the music.  There is no stress on my ears.  I feel like a fool for ever spending a penny on IEMs, let alone $400.

I love these UEs.  But, they are $1000.00  But they go down to $400.00.  There are lots of brands to choose, so if my opinion counts for anything, buy customs.  I honestly believe I'm going to enjoy these for 5+ years.  I normally break or get sick of them in 6 months.  Better to by something you will love and will last for $400, then something you will toss in 6 months.

Interesting, also no tip worries..you reviewing?

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 63
I've put my thoughts together in another post from when I demo'd them and also just put my thoughts in Jude's thread, but I'm not really a good guy to do a review.  I think I'm too much of a grumpy old man, but I think the words people use to describe things don't even exist half the time. 

I'll tell you this much, the best thing I ever did was demo them.  If you are even on the fence about getting customs, I'd call one of the companies such as UE/JH/Westone and others to see where you can demo them.  I had a real problem spending $1000 on something I couldn't demo.  According to my sales guy, they have audiologists all over you can demo them.

I have a sales guy with UE that was just great.  David Guiterrez.  There are lots of great products out there.  You might not even like what technically is most accurate.  Demo some.  But, even the cheapest custom that doesn't sound quite as good as the best universal is better than the universal, in my opinion.  Its that much better fitting.  

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 63
I had the same exact experience with my recent purchase of JH5s, which were $399, and now I never think about fit or SQ, and I also spent a lot of wasted time and money on expensive universals. I feel like a dope now, but it all turned out well. I have 2-3 pair of cheap universals (Sony EX300, JVC FXC80s) as knockarounds. Selling off anything else I own. They just can't compete with the JH5s, even the bottom cost JH phones. I did buy a replacement cable for the JH5s (it's on the way), but that was just to try and wring another10-20 percent of SQ out of them (and improve the treble a wee bit, based on the Headfonia review). But even so, they put all the expensive universals I have owned to shame. I am with you, Joesuburb.

Not saying universals are bad, not at all. Just believe that in the end, if you are serious and can afford it, customs are the way to go - even the less expensive ones.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 63
I don't think they are a waste of money really. I have a pair of customs (and probably soon to be 2) but also have a couple of universals. I find that there are some cases where I would rather use universals than customs. I would rather have both universals and customs than just customs :) I do see your point and agree that the customs I have are better than any universal earphone I've heard.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 63
I agree, didn't mean to sound harsh on universals, but for serious sound, the JH5s are just so much better for me. As noted, I have a few unis too, but just can't see spending anything more than $50 on a universal any more is all, especially with all the new inexpensive IEMs out.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 63
interesting thoughts..I haven't gone the custom route yet but I'm getting very interested lately..though my wallet isnt
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 63
Yeah but being a teenager has me strapped for cash lol..also got to wait a few years so I won't have to worry about refits...Still waiting for some reviews on the 1964 as they have been compared to some other top custom iems

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesuburb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...I honestly believe I'm going to enjoy these for 5+ years...

I will be looking forward for your opinion in 2015 then
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 63

Quote:
x2 

but the JH5 have the problem that the combi of TF10 and remolding sounds better then the JH5. 

That really requires an explanation. I know at least one person who upgraded from reshelled TF10s to JH5s and considers the latter a major step up.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 63
I'm really not sure about the TF10 being that much better remolded into a custom fit. There's a bit gap in sound between TF10 and customs (at least mine) and I fail to believe how a better fit would close that gap.

Anyway I do believe that customs do require a leap of faith in both the product and the company. You typically do not get returns, resale value is horrible (although better than in the past where it was nil), possible refits, impressions and possible multiple impressions and the wait. However I do think it is worth it in the end but it does require some faith on your end. It's not as easy as a universal where you buy and have some tips to use and if you buy and not like it you can sell for most of what you paid.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 63
I'm still trying to understand why a custom IEM would sound better than a universal one. Besides the fit issues, the technology used in Universals vs customs is pretty similar. And if I get a good fit with a very good universal, I don't really know how a lower technology custom IEM (for example three vs one drivers) could so sound better. I think that there is a lot of auto-suggestion going on in customs: when I pay 500$ for a two driver custom iem, it has to sound better than my 300$ three drivers universal. Of course, that's only assumption, as I've never heard a custom iem, and feel free to explain me why I'm wrong.

On the question wheter universals are a waste of money, I'd say certainly not, as (in the beginning) they allow you to check which sound signature you like, and you always have the possibility to sell them for a good price.
Now, after testing a couple of high end universals, I know which kind of sound I like, and I would maybe consider high end customs as an ultimate step up. But I wouldn't have done it in the beginning.
And the other point is that some people (actually, the vast majority here on head fi) like to try new things, and rapidly get bored from an iem. With universals, it's always easy to sell them and buy a new set, just to try it, just for fun.

I'd say that custom iems can be compared to marriage, in a way: once you've decided to take the plunge, you're stuck with your choice. Of course, you can divorce (or sell your custom, with quite a big loss) and take a new mistress, but it will cost you a lot of money and effort, whereas when you're just having a love affair with a universal mistress, hum I mean iem, it's quite easy to say bye to her and to replace it with a better, newer model. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back