universal iem. need recommendations for different genres!
Dec 11, 2011 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wsrox

New Head-Fier
I listen to all genre of music but I never was able to find the best iem that fits all, which is what i kind of expected. I love my se535 for rock, Beats Studio for rap, and sm3 was for classical music (but I sent it back because they had uneven sound coming from both ends).

What I am looking for now is iem's for classical music and pop. I really enjoy listening to female vocals and highs. I like bass but I never consider myself a basshead. So if there are any universal iem that you prefer than please tell me! And if you can tell me the best deal to for certain iems that will be great. Thanks

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Any suggestions? 

You could try something like DUNU Hephaes which are bassy but still provide good mids and highs so they are quite broad range. If you budget allows, go for the Future Sonics Atrio's. These IEMs will fit pretty much any genre of music due to their excellent mids and high end presentation (esp with the new MG7 drivers!) and the best bass in the industry.

IMO They look awesome with a tear-drop shape and the cables and build quality can't be beat.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 19
If you want something that will play all genres, you need something that's more balanced...  RE0, B2s, maybe Etymotic (if you can stand rock with less bass body).

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 19
Take a look at Westone 4's -- they fit your wish list to a "T".  Google comparative reviews of the W4 and SE535 for details.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 19
Another idea is to get something with variable tuning so you can change filters/back ports when you listen to different genres.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 19
You could also get a ZO if you pick a neutral IEM for when you want more bass.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for your replies! I was actually thinking of purchasing ex1000 from Sony but now I also am considering Westone 4. 

Quote:
You could try something like DUNU Hephaes which are bassy but still provide good mids and highs so they are quite broad range. If you budget allows, go for the Future Sonics Atrio's. These IEMs will fit pretty much any genre of music due to their excellent mids and high end presentation (esp with the new MG7 drivers!) and the best bass in the industry.

IMO They look awesome with a tear-drop shape and the cables and build quality can't be beat.

I actually never heard of Future Sonics Atrio's. How good are they compared to top-tier BA iem ? Sorry for shallow knowledge but I don't get the significance for MG7 the difference between its previous drivers. Thanks. 

Quote:
If you want something that will play all genres, you need something that's more balanced...  RE0, B2s, maybe Etymotic (if you can stand rock with less bass body).

Which one would you prefer best for Classical and female vocals ? 

Quote:
You could also get a ZO if you pick a neutral IEM for when you want more bass.

What exactly is ZO?? I never heard of that either. Sorry

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 19
Here's the ZO2 impression thread. It adds a very nice and adjustable bass boost without affecting the other frequencies.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I actually never heard of Future Sonics Atrio's. How good are they compared to top-tier BA iem ? Sorry for shallow knowledge but I don't get the significance for MG7 the difference between its previous drivers. Thanks. 

www.futuresonics.com
Visit the site and check out their client list. You will notice a very wide range of artists, performing a wide range of genre's use FS products.
The Atrio is FS's universal IEM and these beauties are fantastic all rounders. Some people say they are bassy and should only be used for electronica and hip-hop but I totally disagree. These fit the bill for rock, metal, flamenco, chillout. Female vocals are excellent and strings and piano are mind blowing!!!
Music's full body and energy is what the Atrio's deliver to your ears and yes, they have big (and AMAZING) bass but they are very well balanced and no frequency or detail goes missing.

Balanced Armature IEMs wont be able to deliver this type of full bodied response and the highs are also more harsh (doesn't matter if it's 1 BA or multi, the high frequency drivers still drive me crazy!!!).

The significance of the driver update is that I had the MG5 driver Atrio and I loved them over any other IEM I have ever tried. I recently got their updated MG7 driver Atrio's and the high end is even better, straight out of the box. I haven't even burned them in yet!

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
Which one would you prefer best for Classical and female vocals ? 

Etymotics are well known for their mid-range.  And they have excellent female vocals and mid-range details (along with lots of high end) which make them amazing for classical.  They lack a bass body though, so they may not be the perfect IEMs for rock, but can still play rock, pop, and rap adequately (I use them for those genres since I listen to a little bit of everything). 

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Etymotics are well known for their mid-range.  And they have excellent female vocals and mid-range details (along with lots of high end) which make them amazing for classical.  They lack a bass body though, so they may not be the perfect IEMs for rock, but can still play rock, pop, and rap adequately (I use them for those genres since I listen to a little bit of everything). 

Sorry to disagree but here is my experience with Etymotic's (ER-6, ER-6i, HF3): they are very, very lean in the low end and also they don't carry any energy with the music, they are just too analytical and "boring".
They are NOT adequate for rap/R&B/hiphop, electronica or rock as all these genre's require not only decent bass quantity but also a full bodied sound and musical energy and the Etymotic's can provide not one of these, unfortunately.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Sorry to disagree but here is my experience with Etymotic's (ER-6, ER-6i, HF3): they are very, very lean in the low end and also they don't carry any energy with the music, they are just too analytical and "boring".
They are NOT adequate for rap/R&B/hiphop, electronica or rock as all these genre's require not only decent bass quantity but also a full bodied sound and musical energy and the Etymotic's can provide not one of these, unfortunately.

I found them to be enough, but again, lacking a body (as I stated numerous times). 

Another idea is the ACS T15.  Fixes that body problem, still plenty of detail, highs somewhat recessed though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back