Unique Melody TWS Announcements Thread
May 21, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #76 of 93
I changed from kz starline tips to the ones from the large green/gray tips from my ISN EST50. Easier to put these tips on. Much better fit and now bass is more present. Electronic music feels like I'm at the club. Staging is really tall. I like it. Hate that I can't close the case with current tips.

May 21, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #77 of 93
So the Beyer and UM fit similarly? Bummer. Guess I will be sending mine back later this week
I think the Beyer fits me better. I had less of an issue with the nozzle on them than the Free. While still on the shorter side, the Beyer are not as short as the Free. The sound quality of both are a definitive positive in this world of B&W’s, Sony’s & Senn’s.

May 22, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #78 of 93
Some initial first few days of U-Free usage with caveat:

Major caveat is that the Android app is not available yet, and I was told by UM Leo that it'll be a couple more weeks until it is ready. I did try to use it with iOS on my iPad but its not optimized for an iPad display. Also, the U-Free pairs to the app and to the phone (w/o app) differently and can't do both at same time. There looks to be a couple firmware upgrades on the UM site, but I don't know how to install them, so I'll have to figure that out if its possible.

Fit: It's not the best fit for my ears. It slides out a little too easy for my liking. For example, I tried to use them while gardening an hour ago, and they quickly fell out when I bent over. I have had better luck with spinfit tips than the original for fit, but spinfit tips don't fit in the case. The default tips are quite nice actually, and I like them with my MEST MK2, but I'm still working on the proper size for my ears with U-Free

Touch Interface: It's either too sensitive or not responding, and very little in-between. Maybe I am just touching in the wrong place on the shells. Maybe a firmware upgrade will improve this (The Grell TWS had similar issues and was resolved after a firmware fix). In my experience, the ones that do the touch controls right are always the big tech brand products -- Apple, Bose, Samsung, Sony. I almost always have problems with the audiophile brands. Go figure.

Sound: I did graph these, however they sound less bassy and muddy than my graph would make it seem, so I'm not quite ready to publish them yet, especially since I want to wait til an Android app comes out first to verify if anything changes. The graph, however, was V-shaped, with a big bass and treble bump, but in reality, it sounds fairly U-shaped balanced to me. Perhaps a tad heavier down low. Smooth upper-end.

There is definitely some holographic trickery going on with the sound though. Whether its DSP effects, bone conductor, or just how the drivers fire out -- I feel like the sound is quite interesting. It reminds me of a Mest or Solaris soundstage -- 3D, and like its running through a room virtualizer of some sort. This part is perhaps why I felt the graph doesnt necessarily do it justice.

This is just a quick impressions set so far. I will follow-up more with a review when the Android app is released and is more stable, since I don't want to give UM an unfair take on a brand new product launch.
The touch interface--I had the same issue and contacted Andrew at Musictek----and was informed that the sensors needed to be super clean to work properly. IF you wipe them off and make sure they stay super clean they seem to work just fine-----at least my set responded well to that issue and solution.

May 22, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #79 of 93
Arrived today. Fit isn't terrible with stock tips, but left esrbud won't connect. Turned on and off. No dice. Any ideas? It does have sound and tells me meode and power on and power off
The touch interface--I had the same issue and contacted Andrew at Musictek----and was informed that the sensors needed to be super clean to work properly. IF you wipe them off and make sure they stay super clean they seem to work just fine-----at least my set responded well to that issue and solution.

May 23, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #81 of 93
Arrived today. Fit isn't terrible with stock tips, but left esrbud won't connect. Turned on and off. No dice. Any ideas? It does have sound and tells me meode and power on and power off
you will need to perform a reset of both sides in the case. instructions are in the manual. mine came unpaired too

May 23, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #82 of 93
you will need to perform a reset of both sides in the case. instructions are in the manual. mine came unpaired too
Ah, Thanks!

May 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #83 of 93
Ok. I reset them, got them working, tip rolled so I could actually get a decent seal, and.... the XM4 is better in virtually every way (keep in mind that I use Hiby music app, have the hifi MSEB enabled, and use AZLA Crystal tips to keep them in my ears at the gym). xm4 has a fuller more detailed sound, better ANC, an app, and touch controls that work. The Unique Melody is a beta test, imo.

May 26, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #84 of 93
Hey head fi homes,

Technics az80 arrived today. I really like them. I think they resolve better than xm4; there's an excellent app, the touch controls works; they have ldac and EQ. Definitely would rec the new technics far above the UM free, and slightly above the XM4. Very lively and resolving. Super impressed.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #85 of 93
Jun 26, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #86 of 93
Still waiting for the UFree Android App. Does anyone know the release date ?

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #87 of 93
I believe it was released in china only so far. I wasn't able to figure out how to download it though.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #88 of 93
oh ok. Hope there will be an international version too. Thanks!

Aug 17, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #90 of 93
Still waiting for the UFree Android App. Does anyone know the release date ?
UM Smart Sound app is available for Android now.

I don't have a whole lot to add that hasn't been discussed here already. I picked up a set of these out of curiosity since the rest of the world seems enamored with TWS buds, and I wanted to see what UM bone conduction could add to the formula.

Like some others, my first impressions were a little rough--they worked great out of the box, but one side lost pairing before I could update firmware and charge them. I had to fight with them a bit to get them recharged, re-paired, and updated, but they have been working pretty well with my S23 Ultra since then.

I have an assortment of higher grade wired IEMs for typical listening, so these have only served as a convenience. I can carry them around with nothing but my phone and have a suitable listening option. I accidentally fielded a call with them when a friend dialed me while I was breaking them in. We could hear each other clearly. Good enough?

If it's not obvious by now, TWS is not my thing. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the sound, particularly bone conduction on bassy tracks. Tuning seemed a little dark, but not lacking in details--they seemed fine for the price point. They're an overall pleasant listen.

I wish I could offer more in the way of comparisons with other TWS stuff, but I couldn't force myself to buy Galaxy Buds for a comparison, lol. I've heard AirPods Pro 2, and I think those have ANC / transparency mode dialed in better, but U-Free was better for music.

Overall, UM is entering an established field with big players dominating the market, but it's interesting to see attention to sound quality creep into what has been a very convenience-driven market. I think that U-Free has room to improve in a lot of areas such as software, fit, etc., but it's a competent first offering and bone conduction is legitimately fun in this form factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back