Unique Melody TWS Announcements Thread
May 18, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #61 of 93
I’m wondering if the bass is fit dependent?
I read another reviewer who considered it to be very bass deficient.
I’m interested in these but want a solid bass response.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!
All I can say I have 12 sets of TWS, all very good to top rated and I would rate these at the very top with the Noble Mystique---so anyone saying these are bass deficient had a VERY different experience than I am having----😏

May 18, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #62 of 93
All I can say I have 12 sets of TWS, all very good to top rated and I would rate these at the very top with the Noble Mystique---so anyone saying these are bass deficient had a VERY different experience than I am having----😏
Thank you for sharing!

May 19, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #63 of 93
Thank you for sharing!
I should have added that it really does come down to the personal fit you get and absolutely is seal dependent-------YMMV. You really will never know until you get a tws or iem and try it for yourself-----I have returned more models than I can remember just because i could not get a good seal no matter how many ear tips I tried and I have a drawer full of tips. Very frustrating----all I can say is try the U-Free and hopefully you can get a good seal--it has a very short tip---the Noble Mystique a very long ear tip neck---so go with that as a second choice---both are absolute top shelf sound I have found.

May 19, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #64 of 93
I should have added that it really does come down to the personal fit you get and absolutely is seal dependent-------YMMV. You really will never know until you get a tws or iem and try it for yourself-----I have returned more models than I can remember just because i could not get a good seal no matter how many ear tips I tried and I have a drawer full of tips. Very frustrating----all I can say is try the U-Free and hopefully you can get a good seal--it has a very short tip---the Noble Mystique a very long ear tip neck---so go with that as a second choice---both are absolute top shelf sound I have found.
Thank you for sharing this!
I’ve also found that the seal makes a big difference. Good to know about the tip length, also. I’ve found that I struggle with getting a good seal with short nozzles. But I tend to forget to check this part out when I’m looking at new IEMs. An oversight of mine.

May 19, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #65 of 93
I hate abortion nozzles. Why?!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!.

May 19, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #66 of 93
None of the including tips, give me a great fit, so I chopped down my favorite Acoustune tips until they fit on the silly little case. But now I don’t get as good of a seal as I usually do with my other buds because the damned stems are too short. I’ll have to try some other tips. What are you guys having the best luck with?

May 19, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #67 of 93
Some initial first few days of U-Free usage with caveat:

Major caveat is that the Android app is not available yet, and I was told by UM Leo that it'll be a couple more weeks until it is ready. I did try to use it with iOS on my iPad but its not optimized for an iPad display. Also, the U-Free pairs to the app and to the phone (w/o app) differently and can't do both at same time. There looks to be a couple firmware upgrades on the UM site, but I don't know how to install them, so I'll have to figure that out if its possible.

Fit: It's not the best fit for my ears. It slides out a little too easy for my liking. For example, I tried to use them while gardening an hour ago, and they quickly fell out when I bent over. I have had better luck with spinfit tips than the original for fit, but spinfit tips don't fit in the case. The default tips are quite nice actually, and I like them with my MEST MK2, but I'm still working on the proper size for my ears with U-Free

Touch Interface: It's either too sensitive or not responding, and very little in-between. Maybe I am just touching in the wrong place on the shells. Maybe a firmware upgrade will improve this (The Grell TWS had similar issues and was resolved after a firmware fix). In my experience, the ones that do the touch controls right are always the big tech brand products -- Apple, Bose, Samsung, Sony. I almost always have problems with the audiophile brands. Go figure.

Sound: I did graph these, however they sound less bassy and muddy than my graph would make it seem, so I'm not quite ready to publish them yet, especially since I want to wait til an Android app comes out first to verify if anything changes. The graph, however, was V-shaped, with a big bass and treble bump, but in reality, it sounds fairly U-shaped balanced to me. Perhaps a tad heavier down low. Smooth upper-end.

There is definitely some holographic trickery going on with the sound though. Whether its DSP effects, bone conductor, or just how the drivers fire out -- I feel like the sound is quite interesting. It reminds me of a Mest or Solaris soundstage -- 3D, and like its running through a room virtualizer of some sort. This part is perhaps why I felt the graph doesnt necessarily do it justice.

This is just a quick impressions set so far. I will follow-up more with a review when the Android app is released and is more stable, since I don't want to give UM an unfair take on a brand new product launch.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #68 of 93

Major caveat is that the Android app is not available yet, and I was told by UM Leo that it'll be a couple more weeks until it is ready. I did try to use it with iOS on my iPad but its not optimized for an iPad display. Also, had you pair to the app and to the phone (w/o app) differently and can't do both at same time. There looks to be a couple firmware upgrades on the UM site, but I don't know how to install them, so I'll have to figure that out if its possible.

Fit: It's not the best fit for my ears. It slides out a little too easy for my liking. For example, I tried to use them while gardening an hour ago, and they quickly fell out when I bent over. I have had better luck with spinfit tips than the original for fit, but spinfit tips don't fit in the case. The default tips are quite nice actually, and I like them with my MEST MK2, but I'm still working on the proper size for my ears with U-Free

Touch Interface: It's either too sensitive or not responding, and very little in-between. Maybe I am just touching in the wrong place on the shells. Maybe a firmware upgrade will improve this (The Grell TWS had similar issues and was resolved after a firmware fix). In my experience, the ones that do the touch controls right are always the big tech brand products -- Apple, Bose, Samsung, Sony. I almost always have problems with the audiophile brands. Go figure.

Sound: I did graph these, however they sound less bassy and muddy than my graph would make it seem, so I'm not quite ready to publish them yet, especially since I want to wait til an Android app comes out first to verify if anything changes. The graph, however, was V-shaped, with a big bass and treble bump, but in reality, it sounds fairly U-shaped balanced to me. Perhaps a tad heavier down low. Smooth upper-end.

There is definitely some holographic trickery going on with the sound though. Whether its DSP effects, bone conductor, or just how the drivers fire out -- I feel like the sound is quite interesting. It reminds me of a Mest or Solaris soundstage -- 3D, and like its running through a room virtualizer of some sort. This part is perhaps why I felt the graph doesnt necessarily do it justice.

This is just a quick impressions set so far. I will follow-up more with a review when the Android app is released and is more stable, since I don't want to give UM an unfair take on a brand new product launch.
My opinions echo Antdroid's here. I played around with the UFree for a couple of days since having it but with its current shortcomings while UM is working on some firmware updates and the Android app, I've shelved it for now. Other than the bugs it has, the biggest oversight is that no other tips other than the stock Xelastec-like tips will fit into the charging case like Antdroid has noted with the spinfits. Which is unfortunate because I think some people will benefit from tip-rolling.

May 20, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #69 of 93

Major caveat is that the Android app is not available yet, and I was told by UM Leo that it'll be a couple more weeks until it is ready. I did try to use it with iOS on my iPad but its not optimized for an iPad display. Also, the U-Free pairs to the app and to the phone (w/o app) differently and can't do both at same time. There looks to be a couple firmware upgrades on the UM site, but I don't know how to install them, so I'll have to figure that out if its possible.

I would agree with your early assessments as well. Except to me they are not bass shy, but rather “fit-shy.” Some have already mentioned that fit is an issue, which can hinder isolation as well as bass response.

The included tips are interesting to say the least, and I have spent very little time with the 6-hole design. I found the thinning of sound too much, and a preponderance of upper response as a result. Mind you, this was initially and I have found a difference in sound quality after approx 50+ hrs of burn in. I have still not returned to the six hole.

To me, the nozzle is too short, hindering fit detrimentally. Overall, I do rate this as a typically good sounding UM product, & with some needed development this could make its mark against the big boys from B&W & Sony as well as Sennheiser.

Review forthcoming.

May 20, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #70 of 93
I would agree with your early assessments as well. Except to me they are not bass shy, but rather “fit-shy.” Some have already mentioned that fit is an issue, which can hinder isolation as well as bass response.

The included tips are interesting to say the least, and I have spent very little time with the 6-hole design. I found the thinning of sound too much, and a preponderance of upper response as a result. Mind you, this was initially and I have found a difference in sound quality after approx 50+ hrs of burn in. I have still not returned to the six hole.

To me, the nozzle is too short, hindering fit detrimentally. Overall, I do rate this as a typically good sounding UM product, & with some needed development this could make its mark against the big boys from B&W & Sony as well as Sennheiser.

Review forthcoming.
Man, the short nozzle. Why do they do this? Sound engineers also have human ears right?

May 20, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #71 of 93
They should include a noozle extension with the short tip models for us with human ears......would be a big help. Somehow make the noozle adjustable to adapt to each users specific need..THAT would be excellent and really solve a lot of the fit issues I believe.

Last edited:
May 21, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #72 of 93
Man, the short nozzle. Why do they do this? Sound engineers also have human ears right?
I feel like Goldilocks sometimes…the Ety is toooo long. The Free is tooo short…the Sony is juuuust right (but bulbous). That said, the Free is still quite good, for the price point and w/ some easy updates coming, should be in the talk…once the Android app comes on as well.

May 21, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #73 of 93
Yeah, Sony works for me. The Audio Techinca TWX9 (or whatever the number and letter combo is) works well with Azla sedna lite tips. Short nozzle ones never work for me-- orbit, free byrd, fw5 all have the same weird shape that couldn't seal for crap. Huge miss

May 21, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #74 of 93
Fit is a hit or miss unless it’s a custom. That said. I have good luck with the Free Byrd, and consider it on par with the Free.

May 21, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #75 of 93
Fit is a hit or miss unless it’s a custom. That said. I have good luck with the Free Byrd, and consider it on par with the Free.
So the Beyer and UM fit similarly? Bummer. Guess I will be sending mine back later this week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back