Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
May 30, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #211 of 297
Trio is noticeable few levels above mext in term of detail, soundstage, speed and extension both low freq +high freq section.

They both produce different character though. Mext has sweeter tone, with rather thicker than neutral of bass and midrange. Trio (with 64 audio foam tips), while produce punchy and full body bass, but also closer to neutral in tone (less sweet), with more laidback midrange, and more treble energy (more aggressive).

Hemm, I never had any problem from mext treble, even for pop songs from Spotify. Mest2 while also smooth, i can understand if some person complain about them. however mext for me is really smooth on treble section. Something like Acoustune 1677, Meze Advar, Sennheiser IE800, or 64 Duo would produce brighter treble.
do you find that steep slope in the high mids/lower treble shouty on the trio? Reviewers, including yourself in your brief impressions, say that the trio midrange is laidback but i really can't see it in the graph.
For instance, the solaris 2020 has a similar "peak" at 2khz (albeit more intense) and definitely comes across as shouty, at least to my ears

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #212 of 297
do you find that steep slope in the high mids/lower treble shouty on the trio? Reviewers, including yourself in your brief impressions, say that the trio midrange is laidback but i really can't see it in the graph.
For instance, the solaris 2020 has a similar "peak" at 2khz (albeit more intense) and definitely comes across as shouty, at least to my ears

For me vocal on Trio feel a little laidback (treble and bass are a little more forward in position). My favourite is using 64 audio foam tips, that's the best for Trio. Most silicone tips will "enhance" the effect of this little v-shape character, and may lead to some peak in upper mid/low treble area.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #214 of 297
Looks like the Mext are perfect for Electronic Music. I'll have to try those as i am in need for a step up in my IEM Game :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #215 of 297
Looks like the Mext are perfect for Electronic Music. I'll have to try those as i am in need for a step up in my IEM Game :)
The pronounced upper treble that has a twang / shizzle quality doesn’t bother you when listening to electronic music?

I mix master music for a living. Finding it hard to believe I’m hearing it different from everyone else on headfi.

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #216 of 297
The pronounced upper treble that has a twang / shizzle quality doesn’t bother you when listening to electronic music?

I mix master music for a living. Finding it hard to believe I’m hearing it different from everyone else on headfi.
well i have to try these and see how they are for my ears but i am used to extreme highs since i am a beyerdynamic head for about 15 years now (my to go when producing tracks) bad thing is. not a single shop in swsitzerland has these to try. i think i have to buy and sell iof it not fit...
are they really that bad? i am usually all for linear sounding headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #217 of 297
well i have to try these and see how they are for my ears but i am used to extreme highs since i am a beyerdynamic head for about 15 years now (my to go when producing tracks) bad thing is. not a single shop in swsitzerland has these to try. i think i have to buy and sell iof it not fit...
are they really that bad? i am usually all for linear sounding headphones.
I might be a bit harsh with my evaluation and if you’re used to Beyerdynamic it might suit you just fine however for the money I expected the MEXT to be more refined. I understand this is supposed to be a fun sounding iem but the upper highs are reminiscent of an old generation BA type of sound. It’s unrefined and uneven and it shizzles - hard to describe but once you hear it you know. It also feels like it’s hitting some sort of wall. I can’t turn up the volume on my electronic music because it ultimately begins to hurt and it’s piercing. Also you can’t smooth it out with EQ because this is it’s character. Any sort of EQ in this area makes the iem sound much less detailed and muddy and slow.

From the looks of it people are giving the MEXT a lot of love so it’s worth trying it yourself. Everyone hears things differently but there are some things that are generally accepted and I would hope objectively speaking this is one of those things.

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #218 of 297
I might be a bit harsh with my evaluation and if you’re used to Beyerdynamic it might suit you just fine however for the money I expected the MEXT to be more refined. I understand this is supposed to be a fun sounding iem but the upper highs are reminiscent of an old generation BA type of sound. It’s unrefined and uneven and it shizzles - hard to describe but once you hear it you know. It also feels like it’s hitting some sort of wall. I can’t turn up the volume on my electronic music because it ultimately begins to hurt and it’s piercing. Also you can’t smooth it out with EQ because this is it’s character. Any sort of EQ in this area makes the iem sound much less detailed and muddy and slow.

From the looks of it people are giving the MEXT a lot of love so it’s worth trying it yourself. Everyone hears things differently but there are some things that are generally accepted and I would hope objectively speaking this is one of those things.
all good. i find it better when people tell what they feel instead of just generally speaking. i think i get what you wanna say and as i also look for clean sound i maybe have to overthink my decicion about to buy those. it is extremely difficult to pick an iem when you are not able to listen to it. what do you think of the MEST mk2 or Lime Ears Aether R ? if i get those i will go for custom for sure.

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #219 of 297
all good. i find it better when people tell what they feel instead of just generally speaking. i think i get what you wanna say and as i also look for clean sound i maybe have to overthink my decicion about to buy those. it is extremely difficult to pick an iem when you are not able to listen to it. what do you think of the MEST mk2 or Lime Ears Aether R ? if i get those i will go for custom for sure.
Fit and tips is another consideration. The MEXT is on the larger and bulky side relative to other iems. I have no issues with fit however. I’m still trying to figure out if they’re meant to be worn with a deep or shallow fit insertion. Deep insertion covers the forward facing vents - tiny holes which probably serve to alleviate pressure buildup and it most likely has some effect on attack and decay. Shallow fit however doesn’t make the best contact with your ear using the bone conduction. So not sure...

The included Xelastic tips which offer the best isolation also make MEXT more V-shaped relative to other soft silicone tips. I’ve ordered Comply foam and will report back.

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #220 of 297
Fit and tips is another consideration. The MEXT is on the larger and bulky side relative to other iems. I have no issues with fit however. I’m still trying to figure out if they’re meant to be worn with a deep or shallow fit insertion. Deep insertion covers the forward facing vents - tiny holes which probably serve to alleviate pressure buildup and it most likely has some effect on attack and decay. Shallow fit however doesn’t make the best contact with your ear using the bone conduction. So not sure...

The included Xelastic tips which offer the best isolation also make MEXT more V-shaped relative to other soft silicone tips. I’ve ordered Comply foam and will report back.
What tips have you tried? Just the Xelastic? I use the JVC spiral dots...i think they can be considered shallow fit...the shell rests against the whole inside of my ear... I just upgraded to the PWong Monile MkII cable and the mext has just come alive! granted it's a 1K$ cable but its worth it. With only the stock cable you are not hearing what these are capable of.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #221 of 297

I think I hear the treble thing, but I like it...for me the treble has great body and texture.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #222 of 297
The MEXT is what we're looking at today on Headfonia. Full review here -> https://www.headfonia.com/unique-melody-mext-review/

Unique Melody MEXT (6).jpg

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #225 of 297
Soft treble? Genuinely wondering if I have a faulty pair...
IMHO Soft only if compared to the electrostats in the MEST and others, which is EXACTLY why I love the MEXT. He does say musical with good technical abilities.
From where I sit, estat, while technically superior, generally can sound a little artificial. I've been through several, sets featuring them and the only one I kept is the EJ07M.
When I started reading the MEXT reviews and saw terms like "rolled off treble", soft treble, etc... I was concerned, but I must say the MEXT is my favorite set to date. I'd even say, personally, I don't need to pursue anything else, I'm that happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back