Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #211 of 7,310
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #213 of 7,310
May I ask if MEST has a vented design? How is the isolation? Is it suitable for airplanes/trains?

It has a vent on the faceplate. I did not try them on airplanes or trains, since we are basically not allowed to right now except for essential travel (though that restriction is opening up). I'd say isolation was good enough that my wife got mad at me for not hearing her yell at me to do things while I was wearing these. :wink:

But with music-off, you can hear outside noise, probably through the vent.

Jun 12, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #214 of 7,310
P1040176.JPG

I finished my review of the MEST tour unit and posted it on my blog as well as head-fi reviews:

https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/06/unique-melody-mest-review_10.html

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mest.24182/review/23807/

I have to say, I really enjoyed this IEM. Highly skeptical, but turned out digging it.

Thanks for this! I enjoyed reading this and I know exactly what you mean about the unique sound!
It presented an interesting challenge as a reviewer :)

Did you have any notes about which ear tips affected the sound in which ways?
I mainly use New Bee memory foam tips.
Don't much like the feel of silicone tips so I pretty much never use them (which I realise removes a huge swathe of the available tip choices!).

But I do use Symbio hybrid foam/silicone tips.
So anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the effects of certain tips :)

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #215 of 7,310
Thanks for this! I enjoyed reading this and I know exactly what you mean about the unique sound!
It presented an interesting challenge as a reviewer :)

Did you have any notes about which ear tips affected the sound in which ways?
I mainly use New Bee memory foam tips.
Don't much like the feel of silicone tips so I pretty much never use them (which I realise removes a huge swathe of the available tip choices!).

But I do use Symbio hybrid foam/silicone tips.
So anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the effects of certain tips :)

I ended up using double-flange silicone tips (small sized) that I bought in a set (I believe it was actually from NewBee as well) on Amazon. Here's a pic of them:

20200612_104409.jpg

Typically foam tips will reduce the treble, around 8KHz and above in my opinion and what I've seen measurement-wise. The effect didn't seem as pronounced on this IEM in my quick measurements of newbee foam tips vs silicone tips (which I measured using Azla Sedna Light tips).

All tips make subtle changes to sound though, primarily treble/upper treble regions. Wide bore will typically make it more neutral to bright. Small bore diameter will dampen treble a bit. Thicker wall sizes will also thicken the sound in my opinion, while thinner wall does the opposite.

The other thing to consider is insertion depth. That has the biggest change. The deeper the insertion the more reduced the treble peaks that occur due to resonance will be. In some cases, this can fall anywhere between 6-12KHz depending on fit. You can push that resonance further back by putting it in deeper. A good example is what Crinacle performed and documented on the IER-Z1R here:

1591984154677.png

Jun 13, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #216 of 7,310
I ended up using double-flange silicone tips (small sized) that I bought in a set (I believe it was actually from NewBee as well) on Amazon. Here's a pic of them:

20200612_104409.jpg

Typically foam tips will reduce the treble, around 8KHz and above in my opinion and what I've seen measurement-wise. The effect didn't seem as pronounced on this IEM in my quick measurements of newbee foam tips vs silicone tips (which I measured using Azla Sedna Light tips).

All tips make subtle changes to sound though, primarily treble/upper treble regions. Wide bore will typically make it more neutral to bright. Small bore diameter will dampen treble a bit. Thicker wall sizes will also thicken the sound in my opinion, while thinner wall does the opposite.

The other thing to consider is insertion depth. That has the biggest change. The deeper the insertion the more reduced the treble peaks that occur due to resonance will be. In some cases, this can fall anywhere between 6-12KHz depending on fit. You can push that resonance further back by putting it in deeper. A good example is what Crinacle performed and documented on the IER-Z1R here:

1591984154677.png

Many thanks for this detailed and helpful reply! Thumbs up! :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #217 of 7,310
Quick update: MEST is back in stock at Musicteck.com
Tour participants who have provided impressions or reviews to the community will get an extra discount. For more information about the discount please contact Andrew at Musicteck.com

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #219 of 7,310
Has anyone tried the mini MEST yet?

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #221 of 7,310
Might there be a big incentive in going from MEST to 64 Nio?
2 different IEMs, no? (meaning 2 different sound signatures).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #222 of 7,310
Might there be a big incentive in going from MEST to 64 Nio?

As @szore said, they're two very different IEMs.
Now, I haven't heard the Nio yet personally, but going on initial reviews, impressions and descriptions from 64 Audio themselves, it seems that it's going to be a fairly bassy, dark IEM, with smooth treble and warmth in the lower mids.

As such, that all makes it.. well, not exactly the polar opposite of the MEST, but certainly a very different proposition.
I'm actually quite interested in the Nio, because it has the APEX technology and smooth treble (I have some sensitivity in that area); with this in mind, I think it would be an excellent 'on the go' solution for me. Oh, and I love the appearance :)

However, I was A/B testing the MMR Thummim yesterday, vs my MEST and EE Nemesis.
The MMR Thummim costs $4.5k and is one of the most expensive (non-jewellery) IEMs on the planet right now.
It's been described by some people who've tried it, and have extensive experience of the TOTL IEMs as perhaps the best IEM currently available.
I am still getting to grips with it, but I can certainly say it's a world-class, outstanding IEM thus far.

With this in mind, I could listen to the MEST back to back with it, track by track, and not feel I was being significantly short-changed. The MEST was still sounding fantastic, even against such competition.
After a few months of owning it, the MEST continues to surprise and delight me.
Its soundstage size, separation, air, brightness, clarity and presentation of detail are terrific, and the bass is satisfyingly deep and impactful.
I really feel at this price point, it's an insanely good deal and a TOTL choice.

So going back to the original topic to which I was responding, the Nio certainly looks tempting to me, but as an alternative signature to the MEST, rather than an upgrade.

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #223 of 7,310
@Layman1 you reviewed Mason some time ago. Might be tough from memory but how would you describe Mason relative to MEST?

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #224 of 7,310
@Layman1 you reviewed Mason some time ago. Might be tough from memory but how would you describe Mason relative to MEST?

Hello! So.. yes, this is purely from memory, and so I wouldn't put an enormous amount of stock in what I say :)
However, I do feel that I have an ability to remember sound signatures accurately from the past, so let's see..

I would say they are quite different in most ways actually :)
I loved the Mason V3 that I was loaned for that review and would still love to own it, especially the turquoise coloured one that I reviewed! :)

It had a very well done low end, among the best I've heard in an all-BA IEM.
Now, when I say "the best", I don't mean "the most powerful".
Although I'm a bit of a bass-head, there was something about the Mason V3 low end that I just found really engaging.
It was very tight, fast and accurate, relatively neutral on the mid-bass, but with enough sub-bass extension to dive deep when a track required it.

Both IEMs have a big holographic soundstage, outstanding separation, imaging and very detailed and revealing upper-mids and treble.
MEST is more W-shaped in signature, whereas I felt the Mason V3 was more of a classic neutral natural kind of tuning.
I feel the MEST is more bright with more sparkle in the treble, and the Mason V3 is a bit more calm but with a lovely shimmer.

MEST low end is a more contemporary style; hard hitting, impactful, rumbly.
I'd say they're probably kind of equal with regards to musicality; I feel the MEST is a remarkably accomplished IEM, but the one small thing I'd like to tweak about it if I could would be to introduce a touch more warm and richness into the mids, to add a bit of note thickness and weight to the timbre.
Despite that, it still sounds extremely musical and engaging, but that would be my chosen addition.
Overall, the MEST is pretty full-on. As I said, a quite contemporary tuning that's dynamic, exciting and engaging,

Conversely, the Mason V3 is like a modern Bentley or Aston Martin, sleek elegance, power and poise. Unruffled, even when racing at speed.
It's highly engaging without ever being overwhelming or fatiguing.

Well, these are just some thoughts, and I hope you and anyone else interested would find them helpful :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #225 of 7,310
Hello! So.. yes, this is purely from memory, and so I wouldn't put an enormous amount of stock in what I say :)
However, I do feel that I have an ability to remember sound signatures accurately from the past, so let's see..

I would say they are quite different in most ways actually :)
I loved the Mason V3 that I was loaned for that review and would still love to own it, especially the turquoise coloured one that I reviewed! :)

It had a very well done low end, among the best I've heard in an all-BA IEM.
Now, when I say "the best", I don't mean "the most powerful".
Although I'm a bit of a bass-head, there was something about the Mason V3 low end that I just found really engaging.
It was very tight, fast and accurate, relatively neutral on the mid-bass, but with enough sub-bass extension to dive deep when a track required it.

Both IEMs have a big holographic soundstage, outstanding separation, imaging and very detailed and revealing upper-mids and treble.
MEST is more W-shaped in signature, whereas I felt the Mason V3 was more of a classic neutral natural kind of tuning.
I feel the MEST is more bright with more sparkle in the treble, and the Mason V3 is a bit more calm but with a lovely shimmer.

MEST low end is a more contemporary style; hard hitting, impactful, rumbly.
I'd say they're probably kind of equal with regards to musicality; I feel the MEST is a remarkably accomplished IEM, but the one small thing I'd like to tweak about it if I could would be to introduce a touch more warm and richness into the mids, to add a bit of note thickness and weight to the timbre.
Despite that, it still sounds extremely musical and engaging, but that would be my chosen addition.
Overall, the MEST is pretty full-on. As I said, a quite contemporary tuning that's dynamic, exciting and engaging,

Conversely, the Mason V3 is like a modern Bentley or Aston Martin, sleek elegance, power and poise. Unruffled, even when racing at speed.
It's highly engaging without ever being overwhelming or fatiguing.

Well, these are just some thoughts, and I hope you and anyone else interested would find them helpful :)

Hi, I really appreciate your input! This is really helpful! I‘m really enjoying MEST (my first UM, blind purchase) but likewise, I sometimes wish that it had more mid thickness/weight. It's lively with speed and attack. I think MEST provides great value for its price. With this, I became curious about UM's tuning and Mason. Unfortunately, Mason comes with a hefty price tag and being all BA, it makes me a bit cautious :) I'll get to it at some point. Thanks again for the impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back