Unique Melody ME.1 Planar IEM
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #136 of 381
Yes it did, I was surprised because I went in thinking about the cost.But I forgot that they were manufactured on 2 very different places, hence this skewed the picture.

You can find some differences , but I like the signatures much better than some of the similar priced IEM's

If I am in my house reading, I would use Audeze. Traveling I would use the UM due to the isolation and different amplifier required

I completely agree with you the Me.1 sound much better than more expensive iems, it's definitely a keeper and like you, if I travel than ui sue the Me.1 while at home I can enjoy the i4 (after the kids goes to bed) :ksc75smile:

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #137 of 381
For the money, I think the ME-1 is a pretty good IEM. The stock cable itself, must've cost almost half ME-1's total price if you buy it separately.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #138 of 381
Thanks for all the inputs on the ME.1 guys!

I do like to point out that while China undoubtedly has a lower cost and standard of living that allows for much cheaper labor as a whole, there's also still a big difference in terms of the cost of mass production versus handcrafted goods. The ME.1, despite being a universal unit, is handcrafted by our technicians.

There's actually a few interesting documentaries on this topic I'd definitely recommend checking out!

Oct 19, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #139 of 381

I do like to point out that while China undoubtedly has a lower cost and standard of living that allows for much cheaper labor as a whole, there's also still a big difference in terms of the cost of mass production versus handcrafted goods. The ME.1, despite being a universal unit, is handcrafted by our technicians.

There's actually a few interesting documentaries on this topic I'd definitely recommend checking out!

Just to be clear, on the cost difference commentary. The price differential of these IEM's from my perspective is due to their approach ,manufacturing location and business economics. Both Audeze and UM from a product perspective are both great on packaging, accessories, quality and the actual sound is awesome.
Absolutely happy with my purchase

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #140 of 381

I do like to point out that while China undoubtedly has a lower cost and standard of living that allows for much cheaper labor as a whole, there's also still a big difference in terms of the cost of mass production versus handcrafted goods. The ME.1, despite being a universal unit, is handcrafted by our techni
+1, agreed , you are right ,

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #141 of 381

I think we are well behind the misconception that China only built cheap stuff.
Especially in this business there is a huge know-how in China, and we'll see it every day.

Oct 19, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #142 of 381
I think we are well behind the misconception that China only built cheap stuff.
Especially in this business there is a huge know-how in China, and we'll see it every day.

I'm glad to see that more and more individuals like yourself hold that view, and it's definitely encouraging for us to know we're not going unrecognized. However, it's still very much a struggle for us, especially with some recent "chi-fi" product not really hiding the fact they're copying a certain western company.

At the end of the day though, our ultimate goal is still to prove that Unique Melody is nothing to scoff at!

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #143 of 381
My review is up, it'll be posted on head-fi in a couple of days

http://www.soundperfectionreviews.com/2017/10/review-unique-melody-me-1-planar.html

DSC_8990.jpg

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #147 of 381
I watched your Unboxing video. This is the first time UM has shipped something like this, meaning wood box. Usually is small back cardboard box with a metal container for the IEM's

yes, I owned quite few iems that cost way more that the Me.1 but except the i4 none of the other brand offered such a nice package.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #148 of 381
I watched your Unboxing video. This is the first time UM has shipped something like this, meaning wood box. Usually is small back cardboard box with a metal container for the IEM's

I heard they used to but people complained that it added to the cost so skip it.

They will return to it on some models and the card will be replaced with a USB stick containing warranty, info, perhaps receipt etc. (i think)

yes, I owned quite few iems that cost way more that the Me.1 but except the i4 none of the other brand offered such a nice package.

In a hobby where the differences are very small and sometimes debatable this stuff counts assuming the product is of high quality and performance...which this is
Was happy to open it and touch it. The whole thing was such a joy of a first step.

20171022_121404[1].jpg

I have 2 Marantz Receivers that are classics.(40+ years old) They have tone knobs. People have always wanted to customize their sound. This set seems to need a bump in bass which is non issue due to benefits of planar driver (not going to interfere with mids like an elevated DD) and an adjust around early treble..still figuring it out but that puts them with multi BA and TOTL DD sets which could all use a nip here and a tuck there.

$750 for this? Oh fuuuu yeah.

Once the market is figured out they will have entry and other levels. I think this set with it's packaging, cable, tech fit and sonics is priced below market relative to other offerings and thus a good thing to have in ones collection.

I am a cable junkie too btw. This is without a doubt one of the finest I have ever held and that includes customs. All future cables from high end makers will be directly compared.

Those albums in the pic are all DSD and will be played through while i ride out a typhoon here in Japan.

Life is tough. Wish me luck :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back