Unique Melody Flagships--Mason & Mentor Announcement and Impression Thread
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #136 of 377
Hi there, just got the chance to hear a friend’s Trailli over the weekend and own Indigo.

Generally speaking, I prefer a Hi-Fi sound with great technicals, speed and great dynamic contrast. For these reasons, I was fully ready to admit these could outperform my Indigo.

Sadly, not the case for me. I found the trailli to have quite a more fragile sound with less nuance dynamics, less body, less texturing.

That being said, they’re phenomenal still, just you’re aware you’re listening to a reproduction of sound whereas with Indigo it’s musically accurate and exhilaratingly good as it sounds like real life.

As someone who’s tried nearly all totl iem’s, I firmly believe Indigo is the best overall, and a bargain for its price.

Shocked to see so many selling low lately, people should jump on the opportunity when they see it, this is a special product (Susvara, Utopia & Z1R caliber game-changing).

I guess it being chi-fi is what makes it less enticing
Hey, thanks, great impression overall. Wispy, fragile, ethereal, thinnish – these are the definitions applicable to Traillii by HF fellow members and not what I would like to have.

The other two important points are the natural timber (Traillii seem to be the master in that) and non-fatiguing and smooth presentation. Indigo has significant progress in latter compared to Mest mk2.

Opinions, that Mest mk2 might have had a hollow midbass with shift to subbass and lack in overall coherency. Hopefully, Indigo solved both issues.

Speaking of Trai vs Indigo on that point is a little bit ambiguous as Indigo has smoothened upper mids but pronounced treble – as per the graph.

Would love to have slightly thicker, bodied presentation, smooth, comfort and without any harshness at the same time.

1644865436068.png

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #138 of 377
Incoming! I'll put up a review when they arrive against Indigo...

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #139 of 377
How do the Red FE version actually sound? Cant find a review of it anywhere?

Comparisons to the Mest II, Odin, Z1R, Monarch MK2 would be even better as I have heard those recently.

Insanely good from the brief 15 minute listen I've had so far....

20220317_131303.jpg

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #141 of 377
I finally signed for my Red Halo FE today. I did not even have the time to test my Indigo and this Red Halo FE probably will only be tested when I feel better. Whatever it is, I will keep Red Halo FE even if I hate it. On Monday, I had a medical emergency and almost passed on. One of the random thoughts at the emergency ward waa that my Red Halo FE would only arrive on Tuesday and there is no one around to sign for it...lol.

Attachments

• 2022-04-0119.23.242945303221385240688.jpg
    2022-04-0119.23.242945303221385240688.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #143 of 377
I finally signed for my Red Halo FE today. I did not even have the time to test my Indigo and this Red Halo FE probably will only be tested when I feel better. Whatever it is, I will keep Red Halo FE even if I hate it. On Monday, I had a medical emergency and almost passed on. One of the random thoughts at the emergency ward waa that my Red Halo FE would only arrive on Tuesday and there is no one around to sign for it...lol.

I hope you’re doing better. I had a similar feeling a few weeks ago, was lying in bed and started having some chest pains (normal, a remnant of severe lung trauma a decade ago but still freaks me out when it happens) and my first thought was “I hope this isn’t the end, my MEST mk2 hasn’t shown up yet and I really want to hear them.”
It may be time to take a few steps back from this hobby, lol.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #145 of 377
Thought I'd post this here. Still not had time to wrote a review but I've had a few people ask me how red sounds and especially compared to fs which I've never listened to. This was a reply to a pm for that very question and also regarding Indigo. I'll put most of this into review along with music listened to so you get more of an idea what I'm hearing. Hopefully this should give a little insight into red for now.

Doug2507

500+ Head-Fier​

Ooh, you ask a tough question. I've been asked by so many people and find it hard to give an example as I don't have a collection of iems to compare to!

Actually had a chat with someone last night who shares a very similar music library and has some common ground in gear.

He owns FS, uses Ti AE and pairs Phoenix with orph, didnt like FS with orph.I took delivery of LP6 yesterday and thought Red sounded pretty bad in it, was a bit disappointed as everyone in the mason thread seems to rave about LP pairing. What that told us was red and FS are definitely not the same IEM.

What do I like about red...

I think it's hugely organic and transparent. It's got a natural flow that's extremely lifelike, effortless & delicate when the source material gives it, yet it can absolutely smash your ear drums with heavy rock / metal making guitar sound like it's getting out all of its pent up anger and drums / bass providing the ominous thunderous backing to set the mood.

It doesn't have DD bass but it does have big ba bass. It's full, tight, fast, textured and with the bcd you still 100% get the bass drum kick and snare snap.

The down side of the above is the higher the volume goes the better it sounds!

Mids are full and organic with great clarity. They're not saturated but definitely have some bite and give some meat to the music. If you like mids rather than a v shaped tuning then high chance you'll like these.

Treble has superb delicacy and air, decay in cymbals is quite long showing that they in conjunction with n8ii can retrieve detail / highly resolving. Treble isn't sharp, not pushed forward. I'd say lower treble is maybe more prominent but right now I'm paired with orph which does smooth the treble whilst giving more detail. Attila I'd say has more sparkle but less detail. Orph has one body so maybe that takes away from the...sparkle. (really don't like the use of sparkle to describe treble)

Stage is superb. I don't like a stretched soundstage as I feel this separates the track too much and I can't enjoy the sum of the parts. Good example was Focal Clear MG, massive stage width extended too far for me. It definitely extends out of head but doesn't push it too far. Good depth and varies by recording. Anywhere from on stage to a few rows back. For quite a few albums, it's singer placed just infront and the band around you.

Height is good. There's good enough height to easily distinguish placement of a kick vs a tom etc. On "money", Gilmours guitar feels like it's wailing high up bouncing of the walls and ceiling of the studio. Quite something to hear.

Separation is good although on very busy tracks with heavy guitar riffs (metal mostly) the bass definition can fade a touch. Double edged sword as it compliments and drives the guitars with an immense wall of sound but sometimes you need to focus to hear all of the individual bass notes. This could just be a byproduct of the individual recording, I'm mostly thinking back to black album here which even with the reissue and remaster still falls short on quality. With tracks where it cuts to drums / bass, it's jaw dropping the amount of weight and texture they can carry.

Imaging. I love imaging. I like being able to visualize the stage and it adds immersion to the performance and can take me from listening to a recording to being there when it's recorded. Red I feel is accurate in more than just a planar dimension and can place instruments throughout the stage.

Coherence is a non issue. Going back to indigo I can hear all 3 type of driver doing their own thing. Red has kind of spoiled indigo for me to a certain extent.

Compared to indigo....

I thought indigo was superb with MAX SS but too hot with N8ii. You can clearly hear the difference between red and Indigo ba vs est, est having more prominent treble but also more etched, not as natural. Taking bcd out of it, indigo bass is a more fun tuning but I feel reds BA is more natural. Red BCD is more apparent than indigo which gives red the kick it needs being BA. UM have done a great job in this regard IMO and given us a best of both worlds.

Red is VERY tip dependant. Out of well over a dozen tips, I've only got two that make it shine and sound 'good' in my book. They're probably quite source picky as well, didn't like them on LP6 and wasn't too keen paired with M9. They're also very transparent to cable change with all 3 pw cables I have here (um3, attila orph) having different characteristics, orph being the biggest jump / difference in sound.

Hope this helps, I'll probably use a lot of this for review. Not reviewed anything before as I don't like people taking any opinion I have as gospel as we all hear things differently!

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #146 of 377
Thought I'd post this here. Still not had time to wrote a review but I've had a few people ask me how red sounds and especially compared to fs which I've never listened to. This was a reply to a pm for that very question and also regarding Indigo. I'll put most of this into review along with music listened to so you get more of an idea what I'm hearing. Hopefully this should give a little insight into red for now.

Doug2507

500+ Head-Fier​

Ooh, you ask a tough question. I've been asked by so many people and find it hard to give an example as I don't have a collection of iems to compare to!

Actually had a chat with someone last night who shares a very similar music library and has some common ground in gear.

He owns FS, uses Ti AE and pairs Phoenix with orph, didnt like FS with orph.I took delivery of LP6 yesterday and thought Red sounded pretty bad in it, was a bit disappointed as everyone in the mason thread seems to rave about LP pairing. What that told us was red and FS are definitely not the same IEM.

What do I like about red...

I think it's hugely organic and transparent. It's got a natural flow that's extremely lifelike, effortless & delicate when the source material gives it, yet it can absolutely smash your ear drums with heavy rock / metal making guitar sound like it's getting out all of its pent up anger and drums / bass providing the ominous thunderous backing to set the mood.

It doesn't have DD bass but it does have big ba bass. It's full, tight, fast, textured and with the bcd you still 100% get the bass drum kick and snare snap.

The down side of the above is the higher the volume goes the better it sounds!

Mids are full and organic with great clarity. They're not saturated but definitely have some bite and give some meat to the music. If you like mids rather than a v shaped tuning then high chance you'll like these.

Treble has superb delicacy and air, decay in cymbals is quite long showing that they in conjunction with n8ii can retrieve detail / highly resolving. Treble isn't sharp, not pushed forward. I'd say lower treble is maybe more prominent but right now I'm paired with orph which does smooth the treble whilst giving more detail. Attila I'd say has more sparkle but less detail. Orph has one body so maybe that takes away from the...sparkle. (really don't like the use of sparkle to describe treble)

Stage is superb. I don't like a stretched soundstage as I feel this separates the track too much and I can't enjoy the sum of the parts. Good example was Focal Clear MG, massive stage width extended too far for me. It definitely extends out of head but doesn't push it too far. Good depth and varies by recording. Anywhere from on stage to a few rows back. For quite a few albums, it's singer placed just infront and the band around you.

Height is good. There's good enough height to easily distinguish placement of a kick vs a tom etc. On "money", Gilmours guitar feels like it's wailing high up bouncing of the walls and ceiling of the studio. Quite something to hear.

Separation is good although on very busy tracks with heavy guitar riffs (metal mostly) the bass definition can fade a touch. Double edged sword as it compliments and drives the guitars with an immense wall of sound but sometimes you need to focus to hear all of the individual bass notes. This could just be a byproduct of the individual recording, I'm mostly thinking back to black album here which even with the reissue and remaster still falls short on quality. With tracks where it cuts to drums / bass, it's jaw dropping the amount of weight and texture they can carry.

Imaging. I love imaging. I like being able to visualize the stage and it adds immersion to the performance and can take me from listening to a recording to being there when it's recorded. Red I feel is accurate in more than just a planar dimension and can place instruments throughout the stage.

Coherence is a non issue. Going back to indigo I can hear all 3 type of driver doing their own thing. Red has kind of spoiled indigo for me to a certain extent.

Compared to indigo....

I thought indigo was superb with MAX SS but too hot with N8ii. You can clearly hear the difference between red and Indigo ba vs est, est having more prominent treble but also more etched, not as natural. Taking bcd out of it, indigo bass is a more fun tuning but I feel reds BA is more natural. Red BCD is more apparent than indigo which gives red the kick it needs being BA. UM have done a great job in this regard IMO and given us a best of both worlds.

Red is VERY tip dependant. Out of well over a dozen tips, I've only got two that make it shine and sound 'good' in my book. They're probably quite source picky as well, didn't like them on LP6 and wasn't too keen paired with M9. They're also very transparent to cable change with all 3 pw cables I have here (um3, attila orph) having different characteristics, orph being the biggest jump / difference in sound.

Hope this helps, I'll probably use a lot of this for review. Not reviewed anything before as I don't like people taking any opinion I have as gospel as we all hear things differently!
I have both Red Halo and Indigo too. Initiallyi was thinking of selling one of them if they have a similar music signature. Turned up they are very different. Red Halo FE is very musical, organic and natural. As for indigo, I find to be slightly more analytical (but in a good way) and if you love how the vocal interacts with the instrumental music, it is a treat. I can read a novel while listening to Red Halo FE but when listening to Indigo, I cannot do anything becase I love to listen to the rich layering and interaction between the vocal and instrumental music. I know how to play a number of instruments. The first time I listened to a guzhen piece, I literally have goose bumps as I can feel every single pick and pluck. I probably need a lot more time on Red Halo FE to comment on it.

Apr 11, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #147 of 377
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #148 of 377
1650137131194.png

Anyone know what happened to this design? Final look is much different... original prototype?

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #150 of 377
1650137131194.png

Anyone know what happened to this design? Final look is much different... original prototype?
That's the non FE which came with First Times and different shells (basically a red fs shell)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back