Unique Melody Martian: UM's New 2DD + 2BA Universal-only IEM
Nov 1, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #316 of 338
Extension was sub-par compared to all the IEMs I listed, even the IT03. Extension is not only about hearing something, it is also how it is balanced versus the rest of the spectrum.
These were all tested during the same trip to Singapore, and I spent complete afternoons A/B-ing IEMs, and using my Spiral dot tips for all of these. Martians were initially my primary target due the peculiar configuration, but I ended up buying the IT03 and Sirius during this trip, and never regretted that choice since then, they are still my go-to models when I want a well-balanced sound with no brightness.

With the adequate financial means, Merlin v2 are way better than Martians if someone is really after a high-end UM model.

To come back to smooth signature for custom IEMs, CA Harmony 8.2 usually comes to my mind right way. They're not the most detailed CIEMs but offer a very smooth relaxed signature with decent bass, detailed mids and VERY natural treble (very good cymbal rendering, and this is the downfall of many IEMs). They're not extremely expensive if you reside outside the EU (= without the 20% VAT).

Oh, I see~

It makes sense now

I will also look into IT03 soon, especially since so far all clues point to them having an awesome sound!

I like some brighter / treble happy signatures, and Martians offer an aesome sound in this aspect. The extension goes in the upper treble rather than the lower treble, truly majestic!

From your writing, you seem to be more of a fan of natural / relaxed signatured rather than enhanced treble. I like the most enhanced trebles out there, Kinera H3, Ultrasone Sig Studio, ie800 and RE2000 being some of my favorites, so I guess it is only normal I like them Martians quite a lot. @AndrewH13 might dig those as well :darthsmile:

For the record, I think FiiO F9 requires at least 5-6 dB of 16 kHz treble to sound truly like a live cymbal.

I know nothing about Merlin, but you made me curious. Will check them out as soon as I get the chance.

Age might play a role in this as well, Martians have their enhancement in the treble higher than ie800 or RE2000, practically with ie800, the lower highs and upper mids were a bit enhanced, but with Martians the lower highs and the upper highs are both the focus, so they might sound more U rather than V shaped, if this makes sense :smile_phones:

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #317 of 338
Oh, I see~

It makes sense now

I will also look into IT03 soon, especially since so far all clues point to them having an awesome sound!

I like some brighter / treble happy signatures, and Martians offer an aesome sound in this aspect. The extension goes in the upper treble rather than the lower treble, truly majestic!

From your writing, you seem to be more of a fan of natural / relaxed signatured rather than enhanced treble. I like the most enhanced trebles out there, Kinera H3, Ultrasone Sig Studio, ie800 and RE2000 being some of my favorites, so I guess it is only normal I like them Martians quite a lot. @AndrewH13 might dig those as well :darthsmile:

For the record, I think FiiO F9 requires at least 5-6 dB of 16 kHz treble to sound truly like a live cymbal.

I know nothing about Merlin, but you made me curious. Will check them out as soon as I get the chance.

Age might play a role in this as well, Martians have their enhancement in the treble higher than ie800 or RE2000, practically with ie800, the lower highs and upper mids were a bit enhanced, but with Martians the lower highs and the upper highs are both the focus, so they might sound more U rather than V shaped, if this makes sense :smile_phones:

George, I get the feeling you, like me, experience live music either playing or attending concerts. Cymbals sound lively and brash, but many don’t like this live realistic sound and prefer a watered down cosy sound. Room for everyone but I do fear we are getting too many products catering for an unreal warmer sound.

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #318 of 338
George, I get the feeling you, like me, experience live music either playing or attending concerts. Cymbals sound lively and brash, but many don’t like this live realistic sound and prefer a watered down cosy sound. Room for everyone but I do fear we are getting too many products catering for an unreal warmer sound.

Martians are not smooth or warm :darthsmile:

They are exactly the kind of sound I like

You know, judging from the fact that they have 2 dynamics in each ear, you'd expect more bass quantity, but instead, they go for quality. tightness and precision rather than too much.

Of course, it is U shaped, so it is enough to make an explosion when called for, but still I think it is less than ie800.

Also, I agree, there are tons of headphones and IEMs that are really warm and smooth.

I went to test the products of a showroom a few days ago. about 80% of the headphones there were smooth and warm. If you're like us, you have to actually search for something.

Kinera H3 is what I'd call borderline too much treble. I love it, and its treble and detail hit home, especially for their 100$ price tag. If you have the chance, please give it a listen! :dt880smile:

And as for Martian, they are lovely. Really really better than I expected. UM knows their IEMs :smile_phones:

Nov 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #319 of 338
Martians are not smooth or warm :darthsmile:

They are exactly the kind of sound I like

You know, judging from the fact that they have 2 dynamics in each ear, you'd expect more bass quantity, but instead, they go for quality. tightness and precision rather than too much.

Of course, it is U shaped, so it is enough to make an explosion when called for, but still I think it is less than ie800.

Also, I agree, there are tons of headphones and IEMs that are really warm and smooth.

I went to test the products of a showroom a few days ago. about 80% of the headphones there were smooth and warm. If you're like us, you have to actually search for something.

Kinera H3 is what I'd call borderline too much treble. I love it, and its treble and detail hit home, especially for their 100$ price tag. If you have the chance, please give it a listen! :dt880smile:

And as for Martian, they are lovely. Really really better than I expected. UM knows their IEMs :smile_phones:

Can’t see any dealer in UK unfortunately. Wonder how they compare with One Plus Twos, my favourite Hybrid? Mind you at moment, I’m smitten with new ie800S. Truly a big upgrade.

Nov 1, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #320 of 338
Can’t see any dealer in UK unfortunately. Wonder how they compare with One Plus Twos, my favourite Hybrid? Mind you at moment, I’m smitten with new ie800S. Truly a big upgrade.

Can't wait to hear one of them ie800S to see how they compare to ie800 and everything else!

I'm curious how I'll feel about Martians after a week or so, since right now I'm loving these :darthsmile:

Of course, those are first impressions, so they should be taken with a bit of salt, but by now I have RE2000 already, so it is harder and harder for things to impress me. Martian does impress me :smile_phones:

Nov 1, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #321 of 338
I like Martian very much as to me it sound very natural and realistic with good treble extension and bass with good textual.

It03, i have tested before but the treble is too high for me. I do not know at which freq. Maybe the seal is not good so i do not hear good bass but more treble.

Not many totl iem sound natural to me. Merlin v2's treble is also sharp for me. Miracle v2's bass is too much for me. Legacy sound the best for me among totl iem. Maestro is also good but prefer Legacy.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #323 of 338
I had tried both before. Base on memory, the oriolus mk2 has more bass and very spacious sounding. Therefore, if you like bass then oriolus mk2 might suit you.

I like Martian because it has an accurate bass. I notice that more bass might leak to mid which makes the string or cymbals sounds a bit warm and become a bit unreal to me. That is my personal view. I like bass but true sounding bass. Those with more sub-bass sounds nice and enjoyable and even addictive too.

I recently bought the sony xba-n3p because of the dynamic driver same as 7520. It sounds addictive when comes to bass. It makes my Martian sounds lacking in bass after switching from sony. I use my er4SR to tune back my hearing and then switch to Martian then my Martian sounds like what i like before.

I learn that tips, good seal, cable and source has effect on the sound from Martian.

Nov 22, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #324 of 338
I had tried both before. Base on memory, the oriolus mk2 has more bass and very spacious sounding. Therefore, if you like bass then oriolus mk2 might suit you.

I like Martian because it has an accurate bass. I notice that more bass might leak to mid which makes the string or cymbals sounds a bit warm and become a bit unreal to me. That is my personal view. I like bass but true sounding bass. Those with more sub-bass sounds nice and enjoyable and even addictive too.

I recently bought the sony xba-n3p because of the dynamic driver same as 7520. It sounds addictive when comes to bass. It makes my Martian sounds lacking in bass after switching from sony. I use my er4SR to tune back my hearing and then switch to Martian then my Martian sounds like what i like before.

I learn that tips, good seal, cable and source has effect on the sound from Martian.

Thanks for the info ☺

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #326 of 338
I end up still liking to use UM Martian too and decide not buying any custom iem now. After trying again the Legacy, i feel the bass is too bassy instead compare to Martian. Maestro V2, I still cannot stand the peak of the treble. Base on freq chart for QDC Gemini, it is quite similar to Martian but I had not try it before.

I am using x7ii and the synergy with Martian is very good. Layering is fantastic, and the stage is deep too! I am enjoying it very much. Although, at times, I wish abit more bass but currently bass seems already very accurate enough. More bass to Martian may not be accurate but enjoyable.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #327 of 338
I end up still liking to use UM Martian too and decide not buying any custom iem now. After trying again the Legacy, i feel the bass is too bassy instead compare to Martian. Maestro V2, I still cannot stand the peak of the treble. Base on freq chart for QDC Gemini, it is quite similar to Martian but I had not try it before.

I am using x7ii and the synergy with Martian is very good. Layering is fantastic, and the stage is deep too! I am enjoying it very much. Although, at times, I wish abit more bass but currently bass seems already very accurate enough. More bass to Martian may not be accurate but enjoyable.

I am also pairing The Martian with a FiiO X7mkii, and thew synergy is amazing! What I like best about it is how open it sounds, for a pretty well-isolating IEM!

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #328 of 338
Okay, my review is ready now!

A top pick, this Martian!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-martian.21619/reviews#review-19523

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2017/12/unique-melody-martians-otherworldly-experience.html

IMG_20171129_145137.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #330 of 338
I still like my Martian after going rounds of trying many different iems. Even compare to the Empire Phantom, I still prefer Martian. I am a treble sensitive person too and I still find the high of Phantom is too smooth that might lack of little bit of bite. While Martian treble is just right and not sibilance yet airy. I am using pw no.5 with Martian which might improve the overall from stock cable.

Recently purchase Custom Art ei.3 and love it too but find the high is a bit less. I do hope it has a bit higher treble by a bit but so far I still like it a lot.

Martian is really an amazing iem but surprise to see it lack of attention and love from many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back