Unique Melody "Macbeth" & "Mavis" Hybrid UIEMs
Oct 19, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #31 of 36
Hi. I purchased a used Mavis some months ago from E-earphone Japan. I find it to sound great, although not exactly my preference as it is too colored. Tonal balance and coherence are perhaps the best among hybrids I have tried - indeed even better than Sony XBA-Z5. Bass has a good speed, size and tightness. High extends well. Vocal is very clear and sweet. I find mids - male and female vocal in particular - to be very sweetly colored. Perhaps "romantic" would be a good way to summarize the Mavis. If you like a colored, romantic, sweet-sounding earphones for ballads, Mavis is a really good choice. Unfortunately such a colored sound is not really my taste. Yet from time to time I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #32 of 36
I live in Japan and frequently visit e earphone akiba. I purchased the Macbeth about an year ago and there is just something about them that is so special and addictive. Thanks to this iem, I had a super difficult time upgrading, because once you get used to the ridiculously clean treble, it's hard to find anything, even in the +$1000 range which can give me that same sensation. I ended up going for a Mavis 2, which is way more detailed, but I still find myself going back to Macbeth time to time. It's that special.
None the less, if you have a chance to visit Japan and go to e earphone, definitely check out the first gen Macbeth at the used section. They are a steal as the prices for second hand ones have dropped to about $300 and I predict you will be leaving the store with them in your hands!
( ≧∀≦)ノ

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #33 of 36
Cool, another Macbeth fan!
I used to own the Macbeth for many years and 100% agree - it’s one of the most underlooked IEMs on Headfi that can compete easily with many 1000+ IEMs, especially in terms of treble detail, clearness and extension to both ends. I still remember the sensation when I first compared it to my (already very detailed) IE800 and thought: „Wow - it sounds a lot clearer!“
Actually I don`t think Macbeth has less details than Mavis, just Mavis sounds fuller in the mids. Macbeth is relatively flat with not so much midbass (but subbass).
Unfortunately I sold my Macbeth when I bought my Oriolus (another IEM I absolutely love), but sometimes I am thinking of getting another one - used at E- Earphone, just as you say. :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #34 of 36
I'm getting one MACBETH II Classic too. It'll probably arrive this Saturday. :) Got a used pair, such a sweet deal. Plus the shell design looks very cool too

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #35 of 36
I'm getting one MACBETH II Classic too. It'll probably arrive this Saturday. :) Got a used pair, such a sweet deal. Plus the shell design looks very cool too

Ooooh! Exciting!! Let us know what you think! I use my Macbeth's for running now and I still love the way they sound. I had to buy something more than three times the price in order to upgrade, and those new ones actually beat other sets higher up the food-chain. The Macbeth's are addictive and I think represent a really solid investment for music lovers!

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #36 of 36

Macbeth II classic & Macbeth Ti

They're very good despite being the entry to their lineup. One has a more forward mids with a balanced tuning, and the latter has really incredible bass and treble, a rather u-shaped tuning

The Ti is really good with its resolution, and larger soundstage. It felt spacious, and airy and each notes has this definition to it partly due to its separation, and also stage size. The new technology applied by UM is superb. Technically superior than many of its peers.

The II classic has this enjoyable sound all-round that is just balanced well, not showing any glaring weaknesses. You get a good bass, rather clear mids, and treble that is the right amount never reaching harshness. :)

This was just my initial listening impression. YMMV

PS. Notice the change from 2pin to MMCX. And the filter is quite an improvement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back