Unique Melody "Macbeth" & "Mavis" Hybrid UIEMs
Sep 11, 2015 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

yaluen

500+ Head-Fier

A couple of releases from Unique Melody and Mix Wave yesterday exclusive to the Japanese market, Mavis on the left and Macbeth on the right. Both are hybrid universals, and slot in under the Maverick in the Japanese UM lineup.

​
 ​
MSRP: ¥64,815​
Driver Configuration: Undisclosed​
Crossover: Undisclosed​
FR: 20Hz - 18kHz​
Sensitivity: 101dB @ 1kHz​
Impedance: 8.8Ω​
NB: It's apparently a two bore design, suggesting a 1DD + 1BA 2-way configuration​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
 ​
MSRP: ¥109,400​
Driver Configuration: 4 Drivers - Low x 2 (Twin DD), Mid x 1, High x 1​
Crossover: 3-Way​
FR: 20Hz - 18kHz​
Sensitivity: 111dB @ 1kHz​
Impedance: 25.3Ω​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Links:
http://www.mixwave.co.jp/c_audio/c_news/caudio_news150911.html
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150911_720695.html
http://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000119655
http://www.e-earphone.jp/blog/?p=22148
http://www.e-earphone.jp/blog/?p=22986

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 36
Interesting, UM are going after the Japanese market in a big way. I have the Mason and it is an excellent iem. I have thought of getting the Maverick for comparison but they are coming out with so many models I'm waiting to let the line settle. They also have some versions made for the Singapore market that are different tuning. Too many choices. Impossible to find reviews on these.

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 36
I tried those at e-earphone today.
They are just excellent. They sound close to Maverick, the Mavis being slightly warmer (remind me my beloved Oriolus a lot) and the Macbeth sound very similar to the Maverick but with more focus on the mids and slightly less sub bass. For 70 000 yens the Macbeth is just a steal. All 3 are outstanding products. if you like hybrid you must try those.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 36
I tried those at e-earphone today.
They are just excellent. They sound close to Maverick, the Mavis being slightly warmer (remind me my beloved Oriolus a lot) and the Macbeth sound very similar to the Maverick but with more focus on the mids and slightly less sub bass. For 70 000 yens the Macbeth is just a steal. All 3 are outstanding products. if you like hybrid you must try those.

How to u compare the Oriolus with the Maverick?

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 36
Oriolus is warmer than Maverick which has a more monitor like sound tuning.
The soundstage is very different, With Oriolus the instruments feel like they are forming a whole. On Maverick the instruments separation is more emphasized.
Mids are more prominent on Oriolus and more musical. There is more treble quantity on maverick and they seemed to pop out more than oriolus trebles. The decay and articulation is more ponounced on Oriolus. Maverick has a more direct presentation of the music.
Both are brilliant IEM, and depending on your taste, you might prefer one or the other.

Sep 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 36
  Oriolus is warmer than Maverick which has a more monitor like sound tuning.
The soundstage is very different, With Oriolus the instruments feel like they are forming a whole. On Maverick the instruments separation is more emphasized.
Mids are more prominent on Oriolus and more musical. There is more treble quantity on maverick and they seemed to pop out more than oriolus trebles. The decay and articulation is more ponounced on Oriolus. Maverick has a more direct presentation of the music.
Both are brilliant IEM, and depending on your taste, you might prefer one or the other.

Thanks for your impression! So Maverick is consistent with UM's house sound which was inline with Mentor, Merlin, Miracle. They are all open sounding with vast soundstage, very good instrument separation, high level of treble, great clarity. Then came the Mason which was much darker and mids are fuller than Mentor, Merlin, Miracle. So, the Macbeth and Mavis are probably in between the earlier UM's house sound and the Mason. 

The Chinese brands are getting really good, the Oriolus & Mason are my top two IEMs, regardless of price. And they are much cheaper than the competitors!

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 36

Thanks for your impression! So Maverick is consistent with UM's house sound which was inline with Mentor, Merlin, Miracle. They are all open sounding with vast soundstage, very good instrument separation, high level of treble, great clarity. Then came the Mason which was much darker and mids are fuller than Mentor, Merlin, Miracle. So, the Macbeth and Mavis are probably in between the earlier UM's house sound and the Mason. 

The Chinese brands are getting really good, the Oriolus & Mason are my top two IEMs, regardless of price. And they are much cheaper than the competitors!

The Mason is not darker than the Mentor. I have owned both. If anything the Mentor is darker than the Mason. I would prefer to describe the Mentor as warmer than the Mason but not by a lot. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 36
  The Mason is not darker than the Mentor. I have owned both. If anything the Mentor is darker than the Mason. I would prefer to describe the Mentor as warmer than the Mason but not by a lot. 

I must check whether I understand what brightness/darkness means. HD800 is bright, LCD-3 is dark, am I right?

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 36
  I must check whether I understand what brightness/darkness means. HD800 is bright, LCD-3 is dark, am I right?

Compared to the LCD3 the HD800 would be considered brighter. I'm not sure "bright" is the correct term here. The LCD3 is much warmer overall than the HD800. If you prefer you could say the HD800 is bright by comparison. I owned the HD800 and never found it bright but it is certainly a different sound signature from the LCD3.

The Mason is more open and transparent than the Mentor. Both are excellent iem's but to say that the Mason is darker is wrong. I am certain nobody who actually has heard both would disagree with me on that.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 36
  I'm also interested. Owned Maverick, liked a lot, very well built, detailed, comfortable, big soundstage but not enough bass for me. 

Apparently the Mavis was developed specifically to cater to those that would have liked deeper low end extension from the Maverick
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 36
These UM iems are good, a pity they arent given much attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back