Unique Melody Flagships--Mason & Mentor Announcement and Impression Thread
Mar 26, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #331 of 377
Has anyone compared the Deep of Universe Shielding (Mentor's stock cable) to the First Times and/or can say what the technical difference is? I read somewhere that the Deep of Universe Shielding is actually the First Times, can anyone confirm this somehow?
the deep of the universe is made with copper + copper-plated silver which is different from the First times ( full copper cable ).

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #332 of 377
I got the MM recently and loving it, the imaging detail and midrange (really everything) is next level. I'd say it's more detailed than Susvara, I have 500 hours on the Susvara. My only issues with it is it can be a tiny bit harsh sometimes, but final e tips and Cayin RU6 tame it down and improve midrange imo which is perfect for me.

Now I'm just looking for a dap that can do what the ru6 does at a higher level with more warmth maybe. Currently looking at wm1am2 or m6 Ultra. But I'd appreciate any other suggestions!

Mar 29, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #334 of 377
i was itching to go the other way towards susvara or perhaps 1266 (never tried them yet), but after seeing your comment, i surely won’t be as biased towards them.
Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Susvara tuning and magical midrange (Susvara is perfection for my music taste) and you will never be able to get the grandness of a Susvara or 1266 headphone on an iem. But MM has the most insane imaging I've heard and yes I dare say I think it's a bit more detailed and you don't need a speaker amp to get the most out of them!

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #335 of 377
Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Susvara tuning and magical midrange (Susvara is perfection for my music taste) and you will never be able to get the grandness of a Susvara or 1266 headphone on an iem. But MM has the most insane imaging I've heard and yes I dare say I think it's a bit more detailed and you don't need a speaker amp to get the most out of them!
i totally agree in terms of grandness. until now i’ve pretty much went for totl iems and daps blindly reading on reviews and ppls experiences and didn’t make too many mistakes except a few. getting into headphones though would be another league of its own. could be much more expensive and complicated with its amps/dacs as you said. i’m on a train right now traveling enjoying sp3k+traillii+centurion and lurking here to find MM and orphy as my next steps. who knows perhaps i’ll get lucky with MMs today

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #336 of 377
Mine is tentatively up for sale at the moment, but the MM gives me something I cant find anywhere else and so it would be sad to let it go. I wasn't happy with the clamping force of the cable to the IEMs (as mentioned earlier) and so I have sent them to UM in Macau to replace and should get them send back shortly. Over the last few weeks I have found myself listening more to my portable setup (Mentor and N6ii R01) than my desktop setup (Benchmark & DCA Expanse), I find the MM to be so superbly tuned I really struggle to find fault with it. All of my gear is up for sale at the moment and I will let fate decide where I go with this, but should I part with my desktop equipment and go fully portable I might look to pick up a SP3000 and (hopefully!) be satisfied in the knowledge that it really doesn't get much better than this.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #337 of 377
Hey guys ,as much as i liked and being impressed by MM i finally decided against it. I wonder if there are some of you who find MM also being too boomy and overwhelming by its bass presentation. I know it has a very accurate and fast bass presentation but i found it for most genres with exception of classical music too overemphasized leading to listening fatigue in my case. Even the treble i would consider being a bit piercing or harsh. Maybe i am too much of a fan of Traillii and its presentation of musical delivery. If Traillii would not be lacking slightly in punch or mid bass delivery it would be a endgame IEM. I am curious about your thoughts.
Non of the above.
1. Replace the stock cable!! invest and buy Silver Palladium variation like from Arctic Cables as i did. Palladium will fix the treble harshness and it does on so so many IEM .
2. It is all about the tips- i use Comply tips ... and i cut them 1/3 from bottom so when insert on to the IEM - the IEM nozzle is on the same height as the tip . This way the tip in the ear canal dont squeeze and affect the Treble!
3. Chose AB amp as i on the N7, but Class A is fun too.
4. With Comply - dont push them to much inside .. let them be loose a bit.
Compared to Traillii - i prefer the Mentor more as the Treble extension is superb! and the Bass full and very linear. If you can afford it - buy them both.

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #339 of 377
Should try this !!!

On the Mentor nozzle there is a screwable metallic filter/protector, I have decided to try an listen without it - AMAZING!
Please share your thoughts if you like it or not.

Keep your ears clean so no wax will go inside

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-01 at 23.39.27.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-01 at 23.39.27.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #341 of 377
Just received the Opus Palladium cable from Arctic Cables (I think someone recommended it prior on this thread), and it has been great. The DoU cable was a bit microphonic, and extremely uncomfortable for me for some reason. Highly recommend this cable as an alternative- it also looks absolutely gorgeous.

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #342 of 377
Just received the Opus Palladium cable from Arctic Cables (I think someone recommended it prior on this thread), and it has been great. The DoU cable was a bit microphonic, and extremely uncomfortable for me for some reason. Highly recommend this cable as an alternative- it also looks absolutely gorgeous.
We need Pictures!!! :L3000::L3000:

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #344 of 377
Just took one!
IMG_3156.jpeg

(Added more)

Attachments

• IMG_3147.jpeg
    IMG_3147.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3148.jpeg
    IMG_3148.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #345 of 377
Anyone have any pics of the Blue Purple faceplates? I'm having a CIEM MM re-shelled to universal and my options are the Blue Purple or 'regular' Red faceplates. I do like the contrast of the red faceplates with the blue shell, but it seems to be hit or miss with the faceplate design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back