Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 13, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #7,111 of 7,306
I'm considering converting my universal mest mk2 into custom ones, I'd like some thoughts from anyone who has already done this. is it worth it? are there many sound differences? if so which ones? Thank you.
I've done it. You get a perfect fit and bypass all the shenanigans with eartip variance with this IEM. I've not had a universal set to compare with, but when i got mine refitted as customs back, i did feel like there was an overall upgrade to the sound, with everything sounding more coherent.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #7,112 of 7,306
I have owned CIEMS in the past (mostly westone) and own the MEST mk2 now.
I read a tip (lol) about tips which removed the need for customs for my purpose: Get your most beloved universal tip and then follow this guide https://www.imore.com/diy-make-your-own-moldable-ear-buds-cheap

I've done that about 3 months ago and got all the goodness from the custom fitted back while keeping the MEST mk2 and it's resale value.

Jan 14, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #7,113 of 7,306
I have owned CIEMS in the past (mostly westone) and own the MEST mk2 now.
I read a tip (lol) about tips which removed the need for customs for my purpose: Get your most beloved universal tip and then follow this guide https://www.imore.com/diy-make-your-own-moldable-ear-buds-cheap

I've done that about 3 months ago and got all the goodness from the custom fitted back while keeping the MEST mk2 and it's resale value.
Thanks for the tip. Several questions:
Can the glue be completely cleaned off of the eartips/IEM?

Should we consider using eartips of a smaller/larger size?

Will this affect the perception of one's own heartbeat, increasing/decreasing audibility? (Inserting IEMs too deeply tend to amplify the sound of my pulse for me)

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #7,115 of 7,306
when tou say it's removable do you mean it has to be scraped? or it comes off easily, I don't want to scratch the iem if I don't like the result. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #7,116 of 7,306
when tou say it's removable do you mean it has to be scraped? or it comes off easily, I don't want to scratch the iem if I don't like the result. Thanks for the tip.
I have never had to scrape anything when I changed the sugru once it's fully set. It turns into rubber that grips onto the tip, but not the stem of the IEM or the IEM itself.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #7,117 of 7,306
Alright, thank you 👍

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #7,118 of 7,306
Are there any easy solutions and/or variability in the degree of driver flex on the Mest MkIII?

No issues with the left IEM. Whether that’s production variation or my own ear.

But having not uncommon issues with the right ear. That slightly static like crackle whether the IEM is playing music or not. I usually manage to shake it with re-insertion or wiggling.

Unfortunately for me, xelastec are the tips that sound the best with them. And I read they’re amongst the worst when it comes to driver flex. Waiting on Crystals and Sednafit Max to arrive in my size.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #7,119 of 7,306
Is the MEST Mk 1 still competitive in 2024? I am considering getting one 2nd hand.

Jan 23, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #7,120 of 7,306
Is the MEST Mk 1 still competitive in 2024? I am considering getting one 2nd hand.

In my opinion, absolutely, yes it is. Been listening to mine recently and I don't think there's anything quite like it. Although I haven't heard MK2(I own MK3 though, which sounds quite different).

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #7,121 of 7,306
In my opinion, absolutely, yes it is. Been listening to mine recently and I don't think there's anything quite like it. Although I haven't heard MK2(I own MK3 though, which sounds quite different).
I still regret selling my MK1. Will get MKIII as I've read it just has that musical magic many regular IEMs are missing.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #7,122 of 7,306
If you are looking for something exceptional for your Mests, which sounds like a TOTL dap but costs relatively little, I recommend you consider a Shanling H7. Together they will sound divine.

Jan 28, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #7,123 of 7,306
mesth7.jpg

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #7,125 of 7,306
If you are looking for something exceptional for your Mests, which sounds like a TOTL dap but costs relatively little, I recommend you consider a Shanling H7. Together they will sound divine.
And that EA Ares S 8W doesnt hurt either. I love that cable with my Indigo. It keeps all the treble and air but in my experience flattens up (depens, widens, and clarifies) bottom end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back