Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #6,676 of 7,365
I'm a little melancholy... I knew this day would come... but I wasn't prepared yet. I think the Mest and above all the MKII have been for them the most successful iem and the one with which their brand has been appreciated by many audiophiles. Maybe that's right... but sorry anyway... they will still remain in all the reviews where the iem on duty to beat them was (unnecessarily) searched. I will keep them with even more care... who knows if the III will keep the soul of the II. This move makes me a little pessimistic... but we'll see... thanks anyway for letting us listen and for continuing to let us listen to so much beautiful music.
:cry:

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #6,677 of 7,365
Based on the impressions from Canjams and the claims made by UM themselves, it appears that the Mk3 is (for now) considered a clear upgrade from the Mk2. Interestingly, UM's marketing description for the Mk3 contrasts it with the Indigo rather than the Mk2. Putting the puzzle pieces together, it seems that the Mk3 can be seen as almost like an Indigo V1.5. UM even states that the Indigo = balanced, while the Mk3 = fun. The only weird situation is that the balanced version (Indigo) is technically discontinued. But regarding the Mk2 discontinuation, given the limited resources, it makes sense for UM to focus on the production of the Mk3 if the early impressions are accurate.

However, it would be prudent to wait for reviews to confirm the accuracy of these early impressions, as they will provide a clearer understanding of the true nature of the upgrade.

Another reason is it's possible that UM may face competition from other brands in the $1-2k range, which are being recommended by commercial reviewers during this IEM boom. In this IEM boom, the Mk2 might find itself in an awkward position since it is priced lower than the Mk3 but still commands a high price. If the Mk3 is indeed a clear step above the Mk2, those who opt not to purchase the Mk3 may choose to explore other brands instead. So the discontinuation of the Mk2 might be caused by (1) the IEM boom competition, and (2) the fact that Mk3 is a clear step up.

In order to allocate resources effectively, UM might have to discontinue the Mk2 and focus on producing the superior Mk3 version, even if it comes at a higher price point.

Even I would like to try the Mk3 for the advertised fun and energetic presentation. But actually, because of the IEM boom, I am actually looking at other brands too. The new phase emerging in the IEM boom are brands at kilobuck range being compared to TOTL (I personally have yet to try any).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #6,678 of 7,365
UM even states that the Indigo = balanced, while the Mk3 = fun.
Let's hope it's not too funny...

It's possible that UM may face competition from other brands in the $1-2k range, which are being recommended by commercial reviewers during this IEM boom.
You can also remove 1k-2k... and write 2k directly... and this is where there will be the real difference with the MKII because they really fought in the 1k-2k range... with the MKIII you start directly from 2K... so the MKIIs would have been able to fight even better... the problem is that they would have fought against the other UMs and therefore they got rid of them.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #6,679 of 7,365
the problem is that they would have fought against the other UMs and therefore they got rid of them.
I agree. But since they have a resource issue, they had to pick one to get rid of, especially if they compete.

MKII because they really fought in the 1k-2k range... with the MKIII you start directly from 2K... so the MKIIs would have been able to fight even better...
I also feel Mk3 is too expensive in the current IEM boom where ppl are "claiming" newer $1k IEMs can compete with past $2k IEMs (esp. if the boom/trend continues). But then the Mk3 is considerably cheaper than the Indigo too, so I think UM is willing to price down, but couldn't bring themselves to price that down.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #6,680 of 7,365
Based on the impressions from Canjams and the claims made by UM themselves, it appears that the Mk3 is (for now) considered a clear upgrade from the Mk2. Interestingly, UM's marketing description for the Mk3 contrasts it with the Indigo rather than the Mk2. Putting the puzzle pieces together, it seems that the Mk3 can be seen as almost like an Indigo V1.5. UM even states that the Indigo = balanced, while the Mk3 = fun. The only weird situation is that the balanced version (Indigo) is technically discontinued. But regarding the Mk2 discontinuation, given the limited resources, it makes sense for UM to focus on the production of the Mk3 if the early impressions are accurate.

However, it would be prudent to wait for reviews to confirm the accuracy of these early impressions, as they will provide a clearer understanding of the true nature of the upgrade.

Another reason is it's possible that UM may face competition from other brands in the $1-2k range, which are being recommended by commercial reviewers during this IEM boom. In this IEM boom, the Mk2 might find itself in an awkward position since it is priced lower than the Mk3 but still commands a high price. If the Mk3 is indeed a clear step above the Mk2, those who opt not to purchase the Mk3 may choose to explore other brands instead. So the discontinuation of the Mk2 might be caused by (1) the IEM boom competition, and (2) the fact that Mk3 is a clear step up.

In order to allocate resources effectively, UM might have to discontinue the Mk2 and focus on producing the superior Mk3 version, even if it comes at a higher price point.

Even I would like to try the Mk3 for the advertised fun and energetic presentation. But actually, because of the IEM boom, I am actually looking at other brands too. The new phase emerging in the IEM boom are brands at kilobuck range being compared to TOTL (I personally have yet to try any).
Could you elaborate upon what other IEMs are a good option under $2 K

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #6,681 of 7,365
At this point and above all with these prices, I think that under 2k it is better to rely on "old" but still valid IEMs... like IER-Z1R. While around 1k perhaps the best are still the Thieaudio Monarch 2 (if they are really better than the Monarch OG)

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #6,682 of 7,365
At this point and above all with these prices, I think that under 2k it is better to rely on "old" but still valid IEMs... like IER-Z1R. While around 1k perhaps the best are still the Thieaudio Monarch 2 (if they are really better than the Monarch OG)
I have the Monarch MK2, it sounds great but I can feel by using it that there should be something better out there. I truly wish for a newer version of IER Z1R, something which is improved on the fit issue. Acoustune HS 2000 MK2 also looks attractive at $1700.

Jun 6, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #6,683 of 7,365
Happy to report that the EA Code 23 has breathed new life into the Mest 2 and should keep me entertained till Mest 3 discounts come about :ksc75smile:

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #6,684 of 7,365
Found a really good deal on a pair of Amperex 7308 tubes. The synergy with the Indigo is excellent and amazed at how much of an improvement this change has made. Haven’t gotten around to trying it with the mest mkii yet but my gut tells me the new tubes might be a bit too bright for them and might require using a different cable.

Was thinking about the Mest Mkiii and seeing the post on the differences between it and Indigo, I think I enjoy more of the Indigos balance aspect over a fun signature. I can always listen to the mest mkii if want fun and use the money towards other audio upgrades.

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #6,685 of 7,365
I'm a little melancholy... I knew this day would come... but I wasn't prepared yet. I think the Mest and above all the MKII have been for them the most successful iem and the one with which their brand has been appreciated by many audiophiles. Maybe that's right... but sorry anyway... they will still remain in all the reviews where the iem on duty to beat them was (unnecessarily) searched. I will keep them with even more care... who knows if the III will keep the soul of the II. This move makes me a little pessimistic... but we'll see... thanks anyway for letting us listen and for continuing to let us listen to so much beautiful music.
:cry:

One reputable retailer mentioned Mest MK2 is rarely returned. The bar has been set very high for MK3.

Jun 7, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #6,686 of 7,365
HiBy updated the HiBy Pro Music app and added new "Dynamic" plugin – does wonders for UM Indigo's BCD – adding a slightly fuller sound with punchy textural bass.

IMG_1780.JPG

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #6,687 of 7,365
Hi everyone! I would like to share my early impressions of the MKIII in this video. I know I may be a stranger to you all, but I hope that you can feel my excitement and genuine fondness for my first quad driver experience and not to mention, a totl. Best wishes to everyone!

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #6,688 of 7,365
Hi everyone! I would like to share my early impressions of the MKIII in this video. I know I may be a stranger to you all, but I hope that you can feel my excitement and genuine fondness for my first quad driver experience and not to mention, a totl. Best wishes to everyone!

Finally! a review of MEST MK.III

Jun 7, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #6,690 of 7,365
Having an option without cable would be great – that new cable :grimacing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back