Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 25, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #6,646 of 7,365
Imo they provide best seal and performance with demanding iems. Very solid.
I rolled many cables on mest - my most favorite is Dunu Hulk og (without shielding) second is Eros S.
These are really fun and very well executed iems: with plenty of resolution, clarity, and bass punch.
Following your choice of cable for the Mest MKII (which I adore) I searched around a bit and I chose the new 8-wire Effect Audio Ares S... I think it reflects my tastes by smoothing out the highs a bit and giving more fullness in the medium frequencies... we'll see... I hope it goes well.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #6,647 of 7,365
I recently acquired an Indigo and I'm really starting to love it. For most of my library, it has very few faults and excels above most of the other IEMs in my collection. I will say that it is very interesting that the Szalayi complements the Indigo almost perfectly for the music I listen to. That is, I can listen to the Indigo straight out of the gate, until I run across a track that maybe doesn't quite have the impact or synergy that I prefer. So I switch to the Szalayi and everything just falls into place. But the reverse is also true; I can run into a track with the Szalayi where I'm looking for a bit more resolution, staging, or imaging, where the Indigo takes it to another level. A really nice pair that works well together.

I will say that for female vocal tracks, the Indigo is superb. Extremely intimate and breathy, yet with age-appropriate tonality and body. I'm very impressed by Indigo's capabilities. Certainly not perfect for every track in every genre, but it handles most of my music with few holes. I'm just surprised to hear the Szalayi fill those holes so capably. A really overlooked IEM in the grand scheme of things.

Life is good.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #6,649 of 7,365
May 26, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #6,650 of 7,365
Well, for me the Indigos look like they're keepers for sure. And I need to defray some of the cost, so..... if anyone is interested in a like-new pair of MEXT, let me know. Planning on posting them to the classifieds this weekend.

May 26, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #6,651 of 7,365
Hello all. I’m a happy Mest 2 owner and started with the Hiby R6 2020. I previously mentioned that the voices were recessed and I wished for more mid-bass. A couple of days ago I upgraded to the Cayin N7 and let me say in class A mode it is a very different picture. The voices are immediate and engaging, and guitars have much better drive and slam. I learned that my judgement on the IEM was really a judgement on the pair of the DAP and IEM. The N7 has breathed new life into the Mest 2. I apologize for some of my sweeping pronouncements about the IEM.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #6,652 of 7,365
Hello all. I’m a happy Mest 2 owner and started with the Hiby R6 2020. I previously mentioned that the voices were recessed and I wished for more mid-bass. A couple of days ago I upgraded to the Cayin N7 and let me say in class A mode it is a very different picture. The voices are immediate and engaging, and guitars have much better drive and slam. I learned that my judgement on the IEM was really a judgement on the pair of the DAP and IEM. The N7 had breathed new life into the Mest 2. I apologize for some of my sweeping pronouncements about the IEM.

That is an endorsement for having multiple IEM and DAP; multiple IEM at the minimum. This way there is more opportunity for synergy.

May 29, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #6,653 of 7,365
Hello all. I’m a happy Mest 2 owner and started with the Hiby R6 2020. I previously mentioned that the voices were recessed and I wished for more mid-bass. A couple of days ago I upgraded to the Cayin N7 and let me say in class A mode it is a very different picture. The voices are immediate and engaging, and guitars have much better drive and slam. I learned that my judgement on the IEM was really a judgement on the pair of the DAP and IEM. The N7 had breathed new life into the Mest 2. I apologize for some of my sweeping pronouncements about the IEM.
By the way, it's interesting. I now have a Fiio M11+, and I'm thinking which player to buy that will most fully unlock the potential of MEST

May 29, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #6,654 of 7,365

I owned MEST MKII when it first came out and sold a few months later - I don’t think my sources did it justice. I’m buying MKIII, and will have a loan MKII also for comparison in my review… I’m actually really looking forward to trying MKII again with upgraded sources! Great to hear the synergy with N7 is good as I own that too.

May 29, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #6,655 of 7,365
Guys, if you've never tried listening to music in DSD format - try it! On my Mest mk2 it's SOMETHING!
Full presence effect, you hear every note and every finger touch of guitar strings or even piano keys. I love ' it.
Just wanted to share for some reason :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #6,656 of 7,365
By the way, it's interesting. I now have a Fiio M11+, and I'm thinking which player to buy that will most fully unlock the potential of MEST
Definitely worth considering the N7, especially at its price point. This is an audio purchase where I am thrilled by the performance to value ratio. I wrote a longer review over in the N7 forum, but with it the Mest 2 generates some chills through immediate and palpable voices as well as capability to generate a holographic sound stage with slam. As I’ve learned, the choices of A or AB and gain are key to getting the best out of it. I’ve had no need to try EQ as it sounds great naturally. No sibilance either.

I can only imagine how an Indigo or Mest3 would sound, or better yet the multiverse mentor. I feel good that the N7 is a good platform for those upgrades one day. But for now I’m quite happy with the Mest 2 and re-exploring my music collection and hearing it with so much more depth, layers, and musicality.

Your later point about DSD, I used to have the Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX transport which converted pcm to DSD. Similar technology in the N7 which is why I bought it based on my previous experience. The N7 makes music sound more analogue just like my old two channel rig in but fits in my pocket and is so much more convenient.

Good luck!

May 29, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #6,657 of 7,365
I owned MEST MKII when it first came out and sold a few months later - I don’t think my sources did it justice. I’m buying MKIII, and will have a loan MKII also for comparison in my review… I’m actually really looking forward to trying MKII again with upgraded sources! Great to hear the synergy with N7 is good as I own that too.
I’ll look forward to your review with great anticipation as I’m eye-balling the mest 3. I’m curious whether it will have a thicker mid bass and more elevated upper mids. We’ll see… similar to the multiverse mentor frequency chart but hopefully with the DD sub-bass…

May 29, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #6,658 of 7,365

Easily the iBasso DX320, MEST is efficient and easy to drive, but it does need a high current amplifier to get the electrostatic drivers and bone conductor driver to sing. DX320 also has a discrete class A amp.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #6,659 of 7,365
I’ll look forward to your review with great anticipation as I’m eye-balling the mest 3. I’m curious whether it will have a thicker mid bass and more elevated upper mids. We’ll see… similar to the multiverse mentor frequency chart but hopefully with the DD sub-bass…

Be prepared to be disappointed, midrange of Mest MK3 will not be anywhere close to Multiverse. Though I do believe Mest has the superior treble drivers.

May 29, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #6,660 of 7,365
I'm more curious about MEST3 vs Indigo. Seems like different tuning, but I wonder if it's a "step up". Maybe more of a side-grade than anything.

But compared to MM? Lol. I suspect that's a pipe dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back