Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 19, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #6,586 of 7,348
I have been using the new tips that came with U-Free (same as the ones with MEST MK3 I believe) and I really dig them. They are like a softer, wider bore Azla Xelastec type tip. I can get pretty good seal and deep insertion with them with the MEST MK2

May 19, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #6,587 of 7,348
MEST MK3 Carbon Fiber-- Your New Audio Cocktail!

MEST has been our best-selling series for the last few years. Today, I proudly announce the newest member of the line-up-- MEST MK3 Carbon Fiber Edition.

I know at the time you see the title, you may ask, what are the improvements on the new MK3 compared to the already fantastic MK2? Right off the bat, you got a new shell design that looks a lot like the Indigo. You have the blue (or red) carbon fiber housing plus the premium resin mingled with fruitwood faceplates. When you look inside, there are two more electrostatic drivers giving a total of 4 electrostatic drivers in one unit. Then, of course, a newly innovated palladium/silver alloy bone conduction driver that was first introduced in the TOTL Mason Red Halo/La Jardin and Multiverse Mentor. That's not the end. We also included the new sleeved cable celebrated with our old friend Peter from PW Audio and a new in-house designed liquid silicone eartips in the package. You are getting a ton for the money!

How does it compare to the legendary--Indigo? The MK3 CF looks almost identical to the Indigo, with the same amount of driver counts and a similar design... However, you will hear the differences when you plug them into your ears. Indigo is special. It is probably the most balanced model we have designed to the day. We did not try to duplicate the sound of the Indigo on the new MK3. For the only 200 lucky ones in the world who own a pair of Indigo, you might find it has a balanced but not boring tuning. You can still get a lot of sparkles on the basis of accuracy. MK3, on the hand, was tuned more toward the MEST signature. It is fun, engaging and will trigger your emotions when the music starts. MK3 CF extends this idea to a new level! With the newly designed palladium/silver bone conduction driver, you can now enjoy your music in your own immersive and luxurious Paradise. Well, you may not get the same level of accuracy that you can get from the Indigo, but the MK3 CF can let you forget and forgive that little extra. When you have MEST MK3 CF in your ears, you are the king of your own land!

MSRP: $1919

Available Pre-Order at
Musicteck.com
Leo, I'm so happy you have this CF faceplate design. I didn't have the heart to tell you at CanJam NYC that the old blue MkIII wasn't exactly the most beautiful thing :sweat_smile:

May 20, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #6,589 of 7,348
I want a blue one for my left ear and a red one for my right ear.

May 20, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #6,591 of 7,348
I wonder how much that would set you back. I just went to MusicTeck and discovered the red ones are over four hundred dollars more to pre order.
I don’t want it that much

May 20, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #6,593 of 7,348
However, you will hear the differences when you plug them into your ears. Indigo is special. It is probably the most balanced model we have designed to the day. We did not try to duplicate the sound of the Indigo on the new MK3. For the only 200 lucky ones in the world who own a pair of Indigo, you might find it has a balanced but not boring tuning. You can still get a lot of sparkles on the basis of accuracy. MK3, on the hand, was tuned more toward the MEST signature. It is fun, engaging and will trigger your emotions when the music starts. MK3 CF extends this idea to a new level! With the newly designed palladium/silver bone conduction driver, you can now enjoy your music in your own immersive and luxurious Paradise. Well, you may not get the same level of accuracy that you can get from the Indigo, but the MK3 CF can let you forget and forgive that little extra. When you have MEST MK3 CF in your ears, you are the king of your own land!
Can anyone please help me understand this paragraph correctly?
1. Mest Mk3 will trigger your emotions (what does this mean in terms of sound? More mid-bass thump, warmer vocals, etc.?)
2. Mest Mk3 provides an immersive/luxurious paradise (what does this mean in terms of sound? which frequency band will be affecting this most)
3. Mest Mk3's "little extra" makes up for the lack in accuracy (what specifically is that little extra? if it's vocals or treble, or bass? does midrange sound sweeter, or does it have more slam, etc.?)
4. Is it saying Indigo has more sparkle than Mest Mk3? Which has more air?
5. Is it saying Indigo has more accuracy than Mest Mk3? Meaning tonal accuracy, timbre accuracy, imaging accuracy, layering/separation? Does "accuracy" imply details/resolution in this case?

Also wondering:
Which has more forward vocals?
Which has more sub-bass?
Which has more air?

Well, back to the topic of Indigo since it's the 2nd time I've plugged it into my laptop, it's worth noting the striking transformation in its sound profile depending on the choice of eartip and source. It doesn't appear to be a question of source power, considering that the sound is simply exquisite when used with my XtremPro X1-1 OTG USB DAC connected to my laptop (wow the immersive sub-bass, depth, and balance), when contrasted with my memory of its performance on iBasso DX320's latest firmware (I'll give it another listen later, or change back to the old firmware to see).

Interestingly, my desktop amp/dac, though balanced, adds a touch of warmth, enhancing the rumble without boosting the mid-bass. While this presents an agreeably smooth auditory experience, the (cheapest) USB DAC still takes the lead in terms of synergy (off memory). Oddly enough, I've found that the CP360 eartips are my preferred choice over the stock options, as they seem to broaden the soundstage, reign in the mid-bass thump/punch, and soften the overall aggressiveness when balanced. I have tried so many eartips I almost destroy my ears. Ordered Symbio F foam tips which are on their way.

Indigo's capability for imaging is at times uncanny. The shifting locations/distances of voices in videos can be so drastic that I occasionally find myself taken aback by the source of a main speaker's voice. This usually transpires in videos where someone records the main speaker on a device like a phone. The speaker sounds significantly distant if they're not standing directly in front of the phone/camera. On the topic of layering, when music and a video are played concurrently on YouTube, I have been caught off guard thinking the speaker's voice is being projected from my laptop's speaker rather than the Indigo (and yet the voice is clear despite the busy passage and bass from the music). In a mini panic that my laptop has glitched, I find myself pausing the music and playing the video in isolation to ensure that all sounds are indeed streaming through the Indigos. "broken" by lovelytheband at 0:00, i had my Indigos firmly in my ears, and I legit thought my laptop bugged and sound was coming from my laptop speakers loudly piercing the passive isolation. My laptop speakers is horizontal right below my face and that happened to sound coming from there. Replayed it 3 times, turning volume up each time to confirm they were coming from the Indigos.

Btw, water sounds are bewitching on the Indigo as well. The feeling I compared it to was the water version of Noah Jones.

A reviewer did highlight that Indigos' sound profile varies considerably depending on the source, and I'm inclined to concur. However, I no longer believe that a costly or excessively powerful source is necessary (usually ppl say the bone conduction really needs the power but I'm wondering about that). With this pairing, everything sounds clean but not aggressive, with immersive sub-bass rumble (without mid-bass piercing my eardrums) that carries a sense of depth, and the accompanying sounds from instruments and synths flow effortlessly like some angels are sprinkling sounds upon me from the sides.

If anyone can recommend any great pairings (DAP/USB DAC/dongle/desktop) that synergize well with Indigo, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6,594 of 7,348
Can anyone please help me understand this paragraph correctly?
1. Mest Mk3 will trigger your emotions (what does this mean in terms of sound? More mid-bass thump, warmer vocals, etc.?)
2. Mest Mk3 provides an immersive/luxurious paradise (what does this mean in terms of sound? which frequency band will be affecting this most)
3. Mest Mk3's "little extra" makes up for the lack in accuracy (what specifically is that little extra? if it's vocals or treble, or bass? does midrange sound sweeter, or does it have more slam, etc.?)
4. Is it saying Indigo has more sparkle than Mest Mk3? Which has more air?
5. Is it saying Indigo has more accuracy than Mest Mk3? Meaning tonal accuracy, timbre accuracy, imaging accuracy, layering/separation? Does "accuracy" imply details/resolution in this case?

You are quoting a translated marketing announcement of a new product which supposed to get you excited about upcoming iem :wink: This is not a review. Wait until someone will have the actual pair and spent some time with it to talk about the sound and to compare it to other iems. Even back during CanJam NYC they only had a prototype, not the final design/tuning.

I got pinged by a few people telling me they are not sure about it because mkIII looks like Indigo and they already have Indigo. I have no idea how it sounds, yet, but wouldn't draw the conclusion between the "looks" and the actual tuning, and don't want to rely on my notes from 3+ months ago when I auditioned their prototype at CanJam show. So, let's wait and... hear it first.

May 20, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #6,595 of 7,348
You are quoting a translated marketing announcement of a new product which supposed to get you excited about upcoming iem :wink: This is not a review. Wait until someone will have the actual pair and spent some time with it to talk about the sound and to compare it to other iems. Even back during CanJam NYC they only had a prototype, not the final design/tuning.

I got pinged by a few people telling me they are not sure about it because mkIII looks like Indigo and they already have Indigo. I have no idea how it sounds, yet, but wouldn't draw the conclusion between the "looks" and the actual tuning, and don't want to rely on my notes from 3+ months ago when I auditioned their prototype at CanJam show. So, let's wait and... hear it first.
very true, but i'll forget what to ask so safe to post in advance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 20, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #6,596 of 7,348

Making Mest MK3 a bastardized Indigo is a missed opportunity in my opinion. Indigo is yesterdays news and we should be moving on. MEST has built its own reputation as an IEM that is simply elegant and a trend setter that doesn’t draw attention to itself. Some MM trickle down tech/performance inside an elegant shell without bling and christmas ornaments would have been a better choice.

Two additional electrostatic drivers that play outside the range where 95% of music information exist doesn’t seem to offer much progression. After waiting impatiently for MK3, I will now be holding on to my MK2.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #6,597 of 7,348

MEST has been our best-selling series for the last few years. Today, I proudly announce the newest member of the line-up-- MEST MK3 Carbon Fiber Edition.

I know at the time you see the title, you may ask, what are the improvements on the new MK3 compared to the already fantastic MK2? Right off the bat, you got a new shell design that looks a lot like the Indigo. You have the blue (or red) carbon fiber housing plus the premium resin mingled with fruitwood faceplates. When you look inside, there are two more electrostatic drivers giving a total of 4 electrostatic drivers in one unit. Then, of course, a newly innovated palladium/silver alloy bone conduction driver that was first introduced in the TOTL Mason Red Halo/La Jardin and Multiverse Mentor. That's not the end. We also included the new sleeved cable celebrated with our old friend Peter from PW Audio and a new in-house designed liquid silicone eartips in the package. You are getting a ton for the money!

How does it compare to the legendary--Indigo? The MK3 CF looks almost identical to the Indigo, with the same amount of driver counts and a similar design... However, you will hear the differences when you plug them into your ears. Indigo is special. It is probably the most balanced model we have designed to the day. We did not try to duplicate the sound of the Indigo on the new MK3. For the only 200 lucky ones in the world who own a pair of Indigo, you might find it has a balanced but not boring tuning. You can still get a lot of sparkles on the basis of accuracy. MK3, on the hand, was tuned more toward the MEST signature. It is fun, engaging and will trigger your emotions when the music starts. MK3 CF extends this idea to a new level! With the newly designed palladium/silver bone conduction driver, you can now enjoy your music in your own immersive and luxurious Paradise. Well, you may not get the same level of accuracy that you can get from the Indigo, but the MK3 CF can let you forget and forgive that little extra. When you have MEST MK3 CF in your ears, you are the king of your own land!

EN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_1.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_2.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_3.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_4.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_5.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_6.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_7.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_8.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_9.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_10.jpg

Available Pre-Order at
Musicteck.com
Good Lord this is exciting! :D
So glad to see the shell design change (and loving the red option!). And definitely need to hear it, haha :)

May 20, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #6,598 of 7,348
Well, back to the topic of Indigo since it's the 2nd time I've plugged it into my laptop, it's worth noting the striking transformation in its sound profile depending on the choice of eartip and source. It doesn't appear to be a question of source power, considering that the sound is simply exquisite when used with my XtremPro X1-1 OTG USB DAC connected to my laptop (wow the immersive sub-bass, depth, and balance), when contrasted with my memory of its performance on iBasso DX320's latest firmware (I'll give it another listen later, or change back to the old firmware to see).

Interestingly, my desktop amp/dac, though balanced, adds a touch of warmth, enhancing the rumble without boosting the mid-bass. While this presents an agreeably smooth auditory experience, the (cheapest) USB DAC still takes the lead in terms of synergy (off memory). Oddly enough, I've found that the CP360 eartips are my preferred choice over the stock options, as they seem to broaden the soundstage, reign in the mid-bass thump/punch, and soften the overall aggressiveness when balanced. I have tried so many eartips I almost destroy my ears. Ordered Symbio F foam tips which are on their way.

Indigo's capability for imaging is at times uncanny. The shifting locations/distances of voices in videos can be so drastic that I occasionally find myself taken aback by the source of a main speaker's voice. This usually transpires in videos where someone records the main speaker on a device like a phone. The speaker sounds significantly distant if they're not standing directly in front of the phone/camera. On the topic of layering, when music and a video are played concurrently on YouTube, I have been caught off guard thinking the speaker's voice is being projected from my laptop's speaker rather than the Indigo (and yet the voice is clear despite the busy passage and bass from the music). In a mini panic that my laptop has glitched, I find myself pausing the music and playing the video in isolation to ensure that all sounds are indeed streaming through the Indigos. "broken" by lovelytheband at 0:00, i had my Indigos firmly in my ears, and I legit thought my laptop bugged and sound was coming from my laptop speakers loudly piercing the passive isolation. My laptop speakers is horizontal right below my face and that happened to sound coming from there. Replayed it 3 times, turning volume up each time to confirm they were coming from the Indigos.

Btw, water sounds are bewitching on the Indigo as well. The feeling I compared it to was the water version of Noah Jones.

A reviewer did highlight that Indigos' sound profile varies considerably depending on the source, and I'm inclined to concur. However, I no longer believe that a costly or excessively powerful source is necessary (usually ppl say the bone conduction really needs the power but I'm wondering about that). With this pairing, everything sounds clean but not aggressive, with immersive sub-bass rumble (without mid-bass piercing my eardrums) that carries a sense of depth, and the accompanying sounds from instruments and synths flow effortlessly like some angels are sprinkling sounds upon me from the sides.

If anyone can recommend any great pairings (DAP/USB DAC/dongle/desktop) that synergize well with Indigo, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
IMG_2991.jpg

My current favourite pairings. Brought a new lease of life to my Indigo!

May 20, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #6,599 of 7,348

EN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_1.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_2.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_3.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_4.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_5.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_6.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_7.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_8.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_9.jpgEN-MKIII -CF -PC1024_10.jpg

Available Pre-Order at
Musicteck.com

Will you be releasing a graph for these soon? I tend to have an issue with 8k peaks so I’m curious if MEST MKIII peaks in that region. Cheers.

May 20, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #6,600 of 7,348
Making Mest MK3 a bastardized Indigo is a missed opportunity in my opinion. Indigo is yesterdays news and we should be moving on. MEST has built its own reputation as an IEM that is simply elegant and a trend setter that doesn’t draw attention to itself. Some MM trickle down tech/performance inside an elegant shell without bling and christmas ornaments would have been a better choice.

Two additional electrostatic drivers that play outside the range where 95% of music information exist doesn’t seem to offer much progression. After waiting impatiently for MK3, I will now be holding on to my MK2.

Don't want to speculate until I hear it, hopefully soon. MKII was a fine tuned version of OG Mest, with a similar shell design, not a very drastic change. Indigo was a limited edition fine tuned version of MKII, new shell design, quite popular with those who found upper frequencies of MKII a bit too aggressive. Indigo was quite popular with those who wanted more natural balanced tonality rather then "fun" tuning of MKII, and the prototype of MKIII I heard at CanJam NYC was somewhere in between MKII and Indigo tuning, closer to Indigo. So, who knows, maybe the shell design is a "nod" in that direction :D. But again, don't want to speculate since I don't know the final tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back