Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Dec 14, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #6,076 of 7,306

If there a new pair it takes around 100 hours for breaking in of the drivers. They really open up once there used and sound even better. The tips also play a lot into the sound signature of the Mest MKII.

The silicone aren't bad sounding tips have you tried the included Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec, a lot people like them with the Mest MKII. Different tips with the mest mkii make a lot of differences in sound. Finding the right tip along with having a good fit make‘s a big difference in sound quality.

There's a lot of recommend tips in this thread. Personally I like the Xelastec, Epro pro tips EP01 or wireless TW01and Softears UC clear silicone tips. Others like one‘s the Moondrop spring tips etc. Everyone has different ear shapes and hearing so it's a journey to find the one that works best for you.

Here‘s a Eartip review site that’s offers different tips and their rating on them. It gives you a resource to start with. You can read back on some of one’s other members recommendations hopefully these will give you a starting point.
https://www.audioreviews.org/guide-to-iem-silicone-eartips/

Thank you for the suggestions! I did notice about 200 pages of this thread on eartips but this is a great synopsis. I have yet to try other tips but this lays out a good progression.

I’m probably around the 70 hour mark on burn in and have noticed audible improvements in the mid and upper bass, and depth of the soundstage. Many of my first critical impressions of the iem were overcome by the burn in, so perhaps a bit more time will improve the upper mids and presence too.

I enjoy the journey and impressed what these little IEMs can do.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #6,077 of 7,306
Wrote this review this morning and thought I would share:

I was looking for an upgrade from the 3DT so took the plunge on the Mest 2. I use the Hiby R6 2020, stock silicon tips, and listen to FLAC files of tracks that I know inside and out from years of two-channel audiophile insanity. In this case, I wanted an IEM I could travel with and listen on the plane, or trains, or wherever I happen to be because I don't have a lot of dedicated time for listening. I listen to metal, classical, and voice tracks. I am thankful that UM included a great cable and I don't have to spend time and money in cable purgatory. This IEM costs less than a good two-channel power cable.

For the first few days with the Mest 2, I contemplated sending it back. I learned it works better on medium gain. After three days of burn in the IEM opened up and has really blown me away. The mid-bass takes time to come out, and when it does the soundstage blooms like a flower. It is really something to hear.

I concur with many reviewers that this is a deep and wide sound stage with excellent layering. On some tracks it can create an immersive sense of listening to an event, where you can relax and let the music take you away. It generates chills, and this to me, is the ultimate measure I seek.

I'm very surprised at how good the bass is, from an immersive sub bass that seems like it wraps around your head, to good mid/upper base that one can catch in the lower octaves of a voice or guitar. I haven't heard drums this good since the wild old two channel days. On the other extreme, treble is airy and beautiful. This IEM portrays cymbals with amazing splash and sizzle, it cuts through the mix like a knife. Pianos sound great where the lower octaves expand to the whole stage while the higher notes float in space.

During critical listening sessions, I find the mids to be hit or miss. Horns are fantastic - dense, well positioned, real sounding. Female vocals are dense and forward, but are missing a bit of presence. Male vocals are warm but a little hollow, same issue with the presence. However, I adjusted the EQ just a bit at 1K, 2K, and 4K and am very pleased with the intimacy and emotion that now comes through. So with these adjustments I have "fixed" the voices and made this into an all-rounder that suits my tastes. I catch a very slight sibilance every now and then, but not enough to bother me, but it's there if I pay attention

String instruments are another mixed area, they have excellent timbre and positioning in the stage, but I don't quite get the rough texture that I've heard elsewhere (in systems that are 50-100x the cost).

So this isn't a perfect IEM if you approach it critically, but for how and where I listen and the price, I'm very impressed and would wholly recommend it. The sound on this is so good, it makes me wonder what the really expensive IEMs sound like!

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #6,078 of 7,306
Ho scritto questa recensione questa mattina e ho pensato di condividere:

Stavo cercando un aggiornamento dal 3DT, quindi ho fatto il grande passo con il Mest 2. Uso l'Hiby R6 2020, punte in silicone di serie e ascolto file FLAC di tracce che conosco dentro e fuori da anni di follia audiofila a due canali . In questo caso, volevo un IEM con cui viaggiare e ascoltare in aereo, o in treno, o ovunque mi trovi perché non ho molto tempo dedicato all'ascolto. Ascolto metal, musica classica e tracce vocali. Sono grato che la messaggistica unificata abbia incluso un ottimo cavo e non devo spendere tempo e denaro nel purgatorio del cavo. Questo IEM costa meno di un buon cavo di alimentazione a due canali.

Per i primi giorni con il Mest 2, ho pensato di rispedirlo indietro. Ho imparato che funziona meglio con guadagno medio. Dopo tre giorni di ustione l'IEM si è aperto e mi ha davvero lasciato senza fiato. Il medio-basso richiede tempo per emergere, e quando lo fa il palcoscenico sboccia come un fiore. È davvero qualcosa da ascoltare.

Sono d'accordo con molti recensori sul fatto che si tratta di un palcoscenico profondo e ampio con un'eccellente stratificazione. In alcuni brani può creare un senso coinvolgente di ascolto di un evento, dove puoi rilassarti e lasciare che la musica ti porti via. Genera brividi, e questa per me è la misura definitiva che cerco.

Sono molto sorpreso di quanto sia buono il basso, da un sub basso coinvolgente che sembra avvolgerti intorno alla testa, a una buona base medio/alta che si può catturare nelle ottave inferiori di una voce o di una chitarra. Non sentivo la batteria così bene dai tempi selvaggi dei due canali. All'altro estremo, gli alti sono ariosi e belli. Questo IEM ritrae i piatti con schizzi e sfrigolii sorprendenti, taglia il mix come un coltello. I pianoforti suonano alla grande dove le ottave più basse si espandono su tutto il palco mentre le note più alte fluttuano nello spazio.

Durante le sessioni di ascolto critico, trovo che i medi siano incostante. I corni sono fantastici: densi, ben posizionati, dal suono reale. Le voci femminili sono dense e avanzate, ma mancano un po' di presenza. Le voci maschili sono calde ma un po' vuote, stesso problema con la presenza. Tuttavia, ho regolato leggermente l'equalizzazione a 1K, 2K e 4K e sono molto soddisfatto dell'intimità e dell'emozione che ora traspare. Quindi, con questi aggiustamenti, ho "fissato" le voci e ne ho fatto un tuttofare che si adatta ai miei gusti. Di tanto in tanto colgo una leggerissima sibilanza, ma non abbastanza da disturbarmi, ma c'è se presto attenzione

Gli strumenti a corda sono un'altra area mista, hanno un timbro e un posizionamento eccellenti sul palco, ma non capisco proprio la trama ruvida che ho sentito altrove (in sistemi che costano 50-100 volte).

Quindi questo non è un IEM perfetto se lo affronti in modo critico, ma per come e dove ascolto e per il prezzo, sono molto impressionato e lo consiglio vivamente. Il suono di questo è così buono che mi chiedo come suonino gli IEM davvero costosi!
I love Mest 2, your review is very very good

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #6,079 of 7,306
Wrote this review this morning and thought I would share:

I was looking for an upgrade from the 3DT so took the plunge on the Mest 2. I use the Hiby R6 2020, stock silicon tips, and listen to FLAC files of tracks that I know inside and out from years of two-channel audiophile insanity. In this case, I wanted an IEM I could travel with and listen on the plane, or trains, or wherever I happen to be because I don't have a lot of dedicated time for listening. I listen to metal, classical, and voice tracks. I am thankful that UM included a great cable and I don't have to spend time and money in cable purgatory. This IEM costs less than a good two-channel power cable.

For the first few days with the Mest 2, I contemplated sending it back. I learned it works better on medium gain. After three days of burn in the IEM opened up and has really blown me away. The mid-bass takes time to come out, and when it does the soundstage blooms like a flower. It is really something to hear.

I concur with many reviewers that this is a deep and wide sound stage with excellent layering. On some tracks it can create an immersive sense of listening to an event, where you can relax and let the music take you away. It generates chills, and this to me, is the ultimate measure I seek.

I'm very surprised at how good the bass is, from an immersive sub bass that seems like it wraps around your head, to good mid/upper base that one can catch in the lower octaves of a voice or guitar. I haven't heard drums this good since the wild old two channel days. On the other extreme, treble is airy and beautiful. This IEM portrays cymbals with amazing splash and sizzle, it cuts through the mix like a knife. Pianos sound great where the lower octaves expand to the whole stage while the higher notes float in space.

During critical listening sessions, I find the mids to be hit or miss. Horns are fantastic - dense, well positioned, real sounding. Female vocals are dense and forward, but are missing a bit of presence. Male vocals are warm but a little hollow, same issue with the presence. However, I adjusted the EQ just a bit at 1K, 2K, and 4K and am very pleased with the intimacy and emotion that now comes through. So with these adjustments I have "fixed" the voices and made this into an all-rounder that suits my tastes. I catch a very slight sibilance every now and then, but not enough to bother me, but it's there if I pay attention

String instruments are another mixed area, they have excellent timbre and positioning in the stage, but I don't quite get the rough texture that I've heard elsewhere (in systems that are 50-100x the cost).

So this isn't a perfect IEM if you approach it critically, but for how and where I listen and the price, I'm very impressed and would wholly recommend it. The sound on this is so good, it makes me wonder what the really expensive IEMs sound like!
Excellent review glad to hear you like them now that they have been burned in.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #6,080 of 7,306
Funny thing about this hobby is once something sounds good, I find myself wondering what is possible and what is possible for the Mest 2. I use the Hiby R6 2020. Does anyone have experience on how much better either an RS6 or R8 sounds with the Mest?

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #6,081 of 7,306
Funny thing about this hobby is once something sounds good, I find myself wondering what is possible and what is possible for the Mest 2. I use the Hiby R6 2020. Does anyone have experience on how much better either an RS6 or R8 sounds with the Mest?
I have RS6 and Mest 2. The RS6 is great with it. A little more details and a little more bass IMO.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #6,082 of 7,306
I have RS6 and Mest 2. The RS6 is great with it. A little more details and a little more bass IMO.
I’ve read elsewhere that the voicing on the RS6 is great, some say even better than the R8. From my vantage point if it delivered that and a bit more mid bass it could be just right, especially for on the go listening…

Dec 21, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #6,083 of 7,306
One great thing with the Mest MKii is they scale up with better gear. Every upgrade bought has added better improvements to there sound. I ended upgrading to the indigo due to health issue I been dealing with. Being stuck in bed and one thing that makes life bearable is music. Figure you can’t take it with you so might as well enjoy it now.

Anyway btw the two devices you are considering I would lean more for the RS6 due to the R2R technology. My home dac is R2R and enjoy the sonic sound quality better than a chip based Dac.

Dec 22, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #6,084 of 7,306
With FiR Xe6 as my daily go to, took the opportunity to update N8ii firmware and pop in my UM favorite.

Happy Indigo wishes to everyone and UM. Have a safe and healthy holiday and New Year!

IMG_0216.JPG

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #6,086 of 7,306
I recently tried the new Moondrop Moon River 2. Sounded spectacular, but had near constant RF interference & buzzing (the chips were picking up the cell signal from my phone, I guess?). Ended up returning it. Now debating same as you: Go Bar or M15. Leaning toward Go Bar if only for the additional bells & whistles.
That was the issue with their stock translucent cable. Swapping the UsbC cable solved that particular issue.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #6,087 of 7,306
Just a heads up Musicteck has the Mest MKII on sale for $899.00.

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #6,088 of 7,306
Dec 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #6,089 of 7,306
Never thought you can get that price a year ago.

Dec 23, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #6,090 of 7,306
Just a heads up Musicteck has the Mest MKII on sale for $899.00.
Shhhhh don’t tell anyone! I’m trying to score those! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back