Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Oct 4, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #5,974 of 7,306
My Indigo's Rose Gold Faceplate-Frame is deteriorating :frowning2: more and more metal flakes are falling off and it looks quite bad now. The left cable connector also comes loose very easily and does not hold the shell tight anymore... I am quite disappointed in the build quality of this IEM, for the price this should not happen at all, let alone after a few months. I tried to fotograph the frame issue here, don't know if you can see it. As I did this photo, more flakes landed on my mattress...

Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

• DSC_0101.JPG
    DSC_0101.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #5,975 of 7,306
I'm saving up for 11/11 this year, decided to upgrade from my OG Monarch up to $1k
I've been eyeing the Mest MkII but mostly because of the whole bone conduction thing, what else is there in the bone conduction field around $1k?
Only a few companies are now using BCD, it started from UM, their Mest Mk2 often on sales for $1k, also Mext for $1k or even less. Rest of the UM line with BCD are really good, such as Mason or Mentor, but they are at least $3k. Another company is EE, unfortunately, all of their IEMs with BCD are priced above $3k, and even with sales and discount, they are way above your budget. One more US company Fir Audio has their recent line all comes with BCD, they are all above $1k, maybe you can check their cheapest option.

UM started with BCD covers 500hz above, and EE as second introduce all frequency BCD, while Fir Audio has BCD only covers the bass. However, UM's latest BCD on Multiverse Mentor covers all frequency range.

There are some small Chifi companies comes with some kind of BCD, such as Raptgo Hook-X's piezo driver, they are not as powerful or impactful as the above mentioned three companies.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #5,976 of 7,306
Only a few companies are now using BCD, it started from UM, their Mest Mk2 often on sales for $1k, also Mext for $1k or even less. Rest of the UM line with BCD are really good, such as Mason or Mentor, but they are at least $3k. Another company is EE, unfortunately, all of their IEMs with BCD are priced above $3k, and even with sales and discount, they are way above your budget. One more US company Fir Audio has their recent line all comes with BCD, they are all above $1k, maybe you can check their cheapest option.

UM started with BCD covers 500hz above, and EE as second introduce all frequency BCD, while Fir Audio has BCD only covers the bass. However, UM's latest BCD on Multiverse Mentor covers all frequency range.

There are some small Chifi companies comes with some kind of BCD, such as Raptgo Hook-X's piezo driver, they are not as powerful or impactful as the above mentioned three companies.
I'd just say that I don't recommend the MEXT. Even for 650$ there are better IEMs than that (like Variations) and if you want Unique Melody IEM, either get a used MEST Mk1 for around 650-700$ or if you want new, get MEST Mk2 for 1000$ on sale. They are MUCH better than the MEXT which while good, isn't worth its price. I'd say it sounds similar to Andromeda to me in terms of technical performance while the MEST absolutely disqualifies the Andromeda.

Oct 4, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #5,977 of 7,306
Not sure what other iem at that price range has a BCD but at that price
Range of 1K ish
Its either
Mest MKII
Or
Monarch MKII

Watch read reviews of both and pick your poison with the genre of music you listen to… if its rock 110% get the mest
Mkii its VERY special with rock!
Just to clarify, Monarch mkii is great, but has nothing to do with BCD.

Tl;dr: save your money, get a EE Legend Evo. It really is peerless.

Oct 4, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #5,978 of 7,306
Just to clarify, Monarch mkii is great, but has nothing to do with BCD.

Tl;dr: save your money, get a EE Legend Evo. It really is peerless.
That's correct, Monarch Mk2 doesn't have a BCD. But BCD isn't exactly something amazing, it's just another driver (if it works at all, probably does but no way to compare MEST with and without BCD enabled). Look for a good sounding IEM instead of placebo BCD. If it has BCD, it's alright, it just is a way to produce sound.

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #5,979 of 7,306
My Indigo's Rose Gold Faceplate-Frame is deteriorating :frowning2: more and more metal flakes are falling off and it looks quite bad now. The left cable connector also comes loose very easily and does not hold the shell tight anymore... I am quite disappointed in the build quality of this IEM, for the price this should not happen at all, let alone after a few months. I tried to fotograph the frame issue here, don't know if you can see it. As I did this photo, more flakes landed on my mattress...

Has this happened to anyone else?
I would contact Unique Melody and see what they can do to repair them. They should be under warranty. If you can please let’s use know how it works out.

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #5,980 of 7,306
I would contact Unique Melody and see what they can do to repair them. They should be under warranty. If you can please let’s use know how it works out.
Screenshot_20221005-062022.png

There is hope!

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #5,981 of 7,306
UM is pretty nice even out of warranty they MIGHT fix your iem all they ask for is shipping cost . As they are wiling to repair my QDC split. Just have to pay $70x2 for shipping. While its their get them reshell for $400USD

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #5,982 of 7,306
I'm saving up for 11/11 this year, decided to upgrade from my OG Monarch up to $1k
I've been eyeing the Mest MkII but mostly because of the whole bone conduction thing, what else is there in the bone conduction field around $1k?
building on this, say the bone conduction isn't a factor in my decision, I'm actually just looking for an IEM that has amazing "presentation". By that I mean all those things like "3D" "holographic" etc. I already have great sounding IEMs (OG ThieAudio Monarch, Clairvoyance, Tin P1), now I'm just chasing that "where's that sound coming from?" feeling
so the IEM doesn't have to sound neutral or something.

From what I've read, the MEST MkII fits that description, but what else should I consider with this in mind (ideally, chi-fi)?

Oct 12, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #5,983 of 7,306
building on this, say the bone conduction isn't a factor in my decision, I'm actually just looking for an IEM that has amazing "presentation". By that I mean all those things like "3D" "holographic" etc. I already have great sounding IEMs (OG ThieAudio Monarch, Clairvoyance, Tin P1), now I'm just chasing that "where's that sound coming from?" feeling
so the IEM doesn't have to sound neutral or something.

From what I've read, the MEST MkII fits that description, but what else should I consider with this in mind (ideally, chi-fi)?
What's the rest of the system that you use to listen to music? Sometimes the missing thing you're looking for might be filled more with a better dac or amp.
Feel though you can't go wrong with the Mest MkII at the $999 price it's IMHO a deal. The only issue is finding the right iem tips with the mest mkii, the right eartips makes a huge difference on its sound quality.
It doesn't look like you have bone conduction iem in your iem collection the Mest Mkii is something different and might be what looking for.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #5,984 of 7,306
I use the FiiO M11 mostly, I'm pretty satisfied with how it sounds. When I'm at home I don't usually use IEMs but I do have an SMSL M300 MkII as a DAC going into the SMSL SP200 amp (soon to be replaced by the Topping A90D)
For IEM tips I usually use the silicone Azla SednaEarfit tips or the Xelastecs depending on the IEM. (Which ones would you recommend for the MEST btw?)

I was also considering getting the CIEM version of the MEST but I've never had a CIEM made for me and I don't know if I wanna try it for the first time on such an expensive pair

Oct 13, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #5,985 of 7,306
I use the FiiO M11 mostly, I'm pretty satisfied with how it sounds. When I'm at home I don't usually use IEMs but I do have an SMSL M300 MkII as a DAC going into the SMSL SP200 amp (soon to be replaced by the Topping A90D)
For IEM tips I usually use the silicone Azla SednaEarfit tips or the Xelastecs depending on the IEM. (Which ones would you recommend for the MEST btw?)

I was also considering getting the CIEM version of the MEST but I've never had a CIEM made for me and I don't know if I wanna try it for the first time on such an expensive pair
I debated getting on either the mest mkii or indigo made into a CIEM. What basically changed my mind is that he ear changes size as people age, their ears get larger, particularly the ear circumference, which increases on average 0.51 mm per year. This enlargement is likely associated with aging changes of collagen.
So after time the CIEM might not fit right. You then stuck getting it remade (if available on iem model years later) and harder to sell it since custom made.
The universe sound different with different tips so you can change sound to find what works better for you. Some enjoy tip rolling some find hate it. Personally I use tips, tubes and yes even cables instead of EQ. Kinda audio nerd so love searching out tubes etc to fine tune my sound to better fit my hearing.
For those the do use EQ I suggest the mimi hearing test it's free app to test hearing. Then can use it as a starting point to EQ sound frequencies where needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back