Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 12, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #5,853 of 7,305
Curious as to what you found to be better.
This is my ranking to date, to which you have to add Aroma Thunder at the top of the ranking (I don't know yet if second or third seen have just arrived).

1 Unique Melody Mest Indigo
2 Noble Audio Sultan
3 Faaudio Dark Sky
4 Sennheiser Ie900
5 EE Legend X
6 64 Audio Tia Trio'
7 Campfire Dorado 2020
9 Campfire Andromeda
10 Etymotic Er4 Xr
11 Westone W60
12 Shure 846
13 Imr Acoustics R1 Zenith

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #5,854 of 7,305
My mest II had balance issue which is unfortunate. Btw I sold my aroma thunder for mest II.
Have you tried using a different cable? Other suggestions is to see if screen is dirty.
If have a magnifying glass you should be able to see better if clogged.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #5,856 of 7,305
Hi,

Anyone use JVC Spiral Dot ++ with Mest MKII? I have first version of Spiral Dot but it's not the best with MKII. I heard SD++ sounds much better. Any1 can confirm?
SD++ is a bit better,
Azla Sedna MAX is the best for me,

Aug 26, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #5,857 of 7,305
This is my ranking to date, to which you have to add Aroma Thunder at the top of the ranking (I don't know yet if second or third seen have just arrived).

1 Unique Melody Mest Indigo
2 Noble Audio Sultan
3 Faaudio Dark Sky
4 Sennheiser Ie900
5 EE Legend X
6 64 Audio Tia Trio'
7 Campfire Dorado 2020
9 Campfire Andromeda
10 Etymotic Er4 Xr
11 Westone W60
12 Shure 846
13 Imr Acoustics R1 Zenith
Hey what´s your current ranking now?
I got the Indigo from Musikteck and when I get the right fit, it is the best sounding IEM I have ever heard! :)

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #5,858 of 7,305
I got the Indigo from Musikteck and when I get the right fit, it is the best sounding IEM I have ever heard! :)
Congratulations on a great purchase 🤤. Later I calmly tell you 😉

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #5,859 of 7,305
Look it's a good fight.
Definitely indigo, found the right tips (for me JVC Spiral Dot ++), is the most "balanced", the most universal, while maintaining a high level of dynamics and low as I like it 🤤.
You listen to us almost everything with great satisfaction at very high levels. Noble Sultan and Aroma Thunder have a slightly higher dynamic impact and an even more impactful bass. They are more sectorial with higher levels on some genres (Sultan on pop jazz and fusion, more universal aroma than Sultan but amazing on and rock / metal).
I think I'll only keep two in ear and have to decide which one to sell, however Indigo I think is unsellable ... it has a very unique overall balance...😉

20220825_225606.jpg

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #5,860 of 7,305
Look it's a good fight.
Definitely indigo, found the right tips (for me JVC Spiral Dot ++), is the most "balanced", the most universal, while maintaining a high level of dynamics and low as I like it 🤤.
You listen to us almost everything with great satisfaction at very high levels. Noble Sultan and Aroma Thunder have a slightly higher dynamic impact and an even more impactful bass. They are more sectorial with higher levels on some genres (Sultan on pop jazz and fusion, more universal aroma than Sultan but amazing on and rock / metal).
I think I'll only keep two in ear and have to decide which one to sell, however Indigo I think is unsellable ... it has a very unique overall balance...😉

20220825_225606.jpg
Thank you for explaining! I totally understand that, the Indigo works for everything I have thrown at it so far :)

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #5,861 of 7,305
Let's say that if you only listened to Pop / Jazz Sultan with Effect Audio Evo 10 cable to date it is the top for me. If you only listened to rock metal Aroma Thunder with its stellar and fast mid-bass it would be the top. On Aroma Thunder it must be said then that it could improve a lot with the right cable that I must admit I have not yet found (so I was told by a trusted friend who has tried various Totl and finds Aroma Thunder the best tested to date). Um Indigo is the headset with which I listen to everything without thoughts. It has a very high level in general and you really listen to everything with great satisfaction. Then for example with Penon Osg cable it becomes more "ignorant" and rock tuned and becomes even more fun and dynamically even superior ...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5,862 of 7,305
Hi,

Anyone use JVC Spiral Dot ++ with Mest MKII? I have first version of Spiral Dot but it's not the best with MKII. I heard SD++ sounds much better. Any1 can confirm?
On Um Mest Indigo I confirm that to date the JVC Spiral Dott ++ are the top for me. I've never heard of Mest Mk2 but I think JVC behave the same way.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #5,863 of 7,305
I picked up Mest MK2 recently. And I love them. I had some jaw issues over the last few years that meant headphones get quite uncomfortable and I sit at my PC for long periods. My use case is about 50% Gaming, 30% Content (streams/youtube/movies) and 20% music. This made finding some IEMs difficult as most advice other than a few guys is mainly music. Music for me is mostly metal, some video game music, kpop, rap honestly anything I like even some TikTok songs. So again kind of difficult to nail down a pair. When the jaw injury happened I got Starfields as a tester, went back to headphones, gave up again when a friend sent me some isine 10, they were ok and I got hold of some Fiio FD5 half price preowned. Loved them but found them not as detailed as I wanted, maybe too much bass for me (wide nossle and spinfits) and the soundstage not as impressive as people made out, I always planned to splurge on HD800s eventually, but now I knew I loved IEMs, I considered going Kilobuck in them instead. After some research I narrowed down to a few, Andro 2020 but in UK prices these would have actually come in more expensive as they dont convert the price down from dollar value, Monarch MK2 which the size worried me, Kinda lava honestly I nearly got these until I saw a deal on the MEST MK2 on Musicteck, which meant they came in only a little above the price of Kinda lava. So with the help of Andrew from there, I was sold as these earlier were my top pair on my list.

Onto my experience, I will break this into 3 parts, music, content and gaming. First my history of headphones and IEMs. Sennheiser 599 and 363D, K712 pros, Tygr 300r, DT1900, DT900 pro x, HD Zeus, Starfields, FD5, Isine 10, WF1000MX4, Bose QCII. I am by no means an experienced audiophile, I tend to just know what I like the sound of and from above the Tygrs were my favourite for most things, I did like the extra bit of detail on the Zeus, the Mest have killed my buds for me.

For music, wow. I have never gone this far in price and my worry was I would feel they were barely better than my past purchases for music. I was wrong. My first song was Sleep Tokens - Hypnotise and holy crap, I heard everything. It was like I was sat on the drums listening to them play around me, I could hear every detail in those drums, the kicks texture and all while the instruments were staged in their places and the vocalist sang in front of me, even more wild is the harmony repeating the chorus over and over I can pick all the voices out one by one rather than it just be a layer of sound. I could hear all the details of each part of the song, they were all seperated and made me realise just what people talk about with seperation. No matter what I played, they displayed the song as I would descrbie, as it should be. Black Pinks - How you like that made me realise the bass on these is incredible, not like other headphones with just loads of it, the bass isnt too much its just detailed and wonderful, you can feel it. Classical was an experience because I could hear each and every instrument. I dont pretend to understand graphs, but from what I have read about the tuning of these I understood for once, its such a jack of all trades. Live recordings are amazing too, for example the Welsh language channel S4C's youtube has Dafydd Iwan's - Yma O Hyd at the Eisteddfod, I had listened to it a few times, and loved the sound of the young people singing it so loudly the singer begings to cry (Welsh language was banned and now is thriving the song is about this), with my other equipment, I just hear voices, with the Mest MK2, I can distinguish the backing singers from the crowd! Crazy to me.

For content these are a pleasure. I will say all I said about music is true for movies also, staging is just outside the head I think, which gives a detailed stage hearing sounds going all around you, The Batman was an experience with its amazing OST, the bassy parts of it are just out of this world. Youtube is great, any video plays wonderful through them, I watch a wide range of stuff and have no complaints. Twitch they really shine, I will explain more in gaming, but the staging and directional imaging of these is great, with the streamers voice down the middle its very immersive.

Gaming, and my main worry was the lack of information about these for gaming. I mostly play FPS (ranked Apex currently), Guild Wars 2 and whatever single player game (Death Stranding right now). A little background as I know gamers sometimes feel like if you have no experience you aren't worth listening to, well my audio experience is crap, but in FPS I used to compete in pro leagues and cups in CoD. Now I am washed up as I didn't enjoy the comp scene, but I do like to feel my set up is competitive. So lets say, for GW2 and single player these are great, OSTs sound amazing, the imaging and staging make it immersive and fun, I have heard the odd sound I never heard in previous gear. Death Stranding randomly breaking into a song is just amazing. For FPS, I put these on par or beyond my Tygrs designed for gaming, and the Zeus. I have come to realise that you don't need the biggest soundstage, its important, but imaging and detail is more so and an average stage for me is easier to place sounds, at least personally for me. For example I used to see the K712 pros recommended a lot for FPS, but I feel like the big stage is nice, but sounds get lost in that stage in games. When I am running around in Apex, I am first to hear a sound out of place, a footstep, a reload, a heal, anything. I can place the positioning, I can estimate the distance and the sound giving what texture the footstep is on is clear as day, someone jumping out of a metal floored building onto gravel will come across and I can react to it. While shooting or using healing abilities that can be loud, I can still hear and understand enemy sounds. While looting an area, I can hear the detail of a fight an area or two away, decide when that fight is worth pushing or if we are being pushed. I won't say these are the best IEMs for gaming, a chat with Freshreviews he said he believes some of his favourites are better for pure gaming, but for a jack of all trades, do it all solution at the quality level I wanted, I havent felt I wasted money or dissapointed.

I got lucky with fit, and tips, I read someone that usually uses large Xelastics used medium, first try I used mediums and they fit and sound best to me. The nossle really is a big boy.

Anyway sorry if this is a bit long winded, I wanted to add some detail for some use cases that aren't always talked about and a lot of people are wanting to switch to IEMs for gaming that also want to use them for all the other good stuff. Another big shout out to Andrew and Musicteck for helping me out so much.

My actual only complaint, if you get someone with a bad mic or just awful Apex Legends VOIP, it really hurts my ears! Some links to songs mentioned.

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #5,864 of 7,305
On Um Mest Indigo I confirm that to date the JVC Spiral Dott ++ are the top for me. I've never heard of Mest Mk2 but I think JVC behave the same way.
These are some rare and expensive tips! :O

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #5,865 of 7,305
I will try these out, I hope MS fits me as well as I think... 38 bucks for 4 eartips is really something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back