Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 6, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #5,446 of 7,306
Ok so you have sold me on the Final Type E for TWS. I absolutely love the Final E tips and refuse to use any other due to the comfort, slam, and the fact they completely eliminate treble spikes through some sort of magic. lol

I agree on the custom charges. I remember someone saying in the end the total cost was around $5-600 usd when it was all said and done. something to consider as you said, relatively speaking.
After some more listening, the Type E TWS are definitely the best I've heard on the Mk2. The bass impact is on par with the regular Type E or the Spinfit CP100 but the wider nozzle lets a little more sparkle through than either of those. The Azla Crystal TWS really are something that needs exploring a bit more, I may order a few more sizes of them to experiment. The mids have an extra bit of clarity/forwardness with them, the reduced bass is kind of a deal breaker though.

Apr 6, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #5,447 of 7,306
Although moving on from Indigo, i was rolling tips on Red again tonight and ePro EP01 still top my list by a fair margin, the only other tip i'd put on par is something that looks like a dot but isn't JVC, no idea what they are. I've got Final E TWS on the way from hifigo which should be interesting as they're similar to EP01. Also have Ear Fidelity U in the mail somewhere as they came highly recommended from the Mason thread.

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #5,448 of 7,306
After some more listening, the Type E TWS are definitely the best I've heard on the Mk2. The bass impact is on par with the regular Type E or the Spinfit CP100 but the wider nozzle lets a little more sparkle through than either of those. The Azla Crystal TWS really are something that needs exploring a bit more, I may order a few more sizes of them to experiment. The mids have an extra bit of clarity/forwardness with them, the reduced bass is kind of a deal breaker though.
Yes but can you listen with these tips without fatigue is the question. I have many sets of tips that open things up and reveal all sorts of detail but I cannot listen with them for more than an hour. Guess it depends on what your looking for. To me, and imo the wider bores are fatiguing. It's like the difference of having my head right next to the speaker and being 10 feet from the speaker.

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #5,449 of 7,306
Yes but can you listen with these tips without fatigue is the question. I have many sets of tips that open things up and reveal all sorts of detail but I cannot listen with them for more than an hour. Guess it depends on what your looking for. To me, and imo the wider bores are fatiguing. It's like the difference of having my head right next to the speaker and being 10 feet from the speaker.
Yeah, definitely need to experiment with the Crystals to see if the get fatiguing. The final tws are anything but fatiguing, nice smooth sound like the regular Type E but just a touch brighter.

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #5,450 of 7,306
Yeah, definitely need to experiment with the Crystals to see if the get fatiguing. The final tws are anything but fatiguing, nice smooth sound like the regular Type E but just a touch brighter.
Well that's good to know especially since you know what the OG final e tips are like. I'm going to order a set of the tws right now and give them a shot....I am however remaining somewhat of a skeptic. 😜

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #5,453 of 7,306
Hi all, is it rare for a driver to fail? Essentially the sound signature of my CM Mest II has suddenly changed in that vocals now appear to be originating from slightly left of centre. For example, Oleta Adams, Get Here, her voice should appear to come from dead centre of the stage, which is where my Sundaras puts them. Her voice now appears like around the nose corner of my left eye. It's moved maybe an inch away from centre. Other aspects like bass, treble, width seem to be unchanged! It has literally done this overnight which is so weird! I've had them since around end of January, 2022. I have reached out to the company I purchased them from and thankfully I can send them back to UM to be tested (and then hopefully fixed!) Has anyone else had this issue??

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #5,454 of 7,306
Went ahead and ordered these...

Screenshot_20220406-185224.jpg

Apr 6, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #5,455 of 7,306
Anyone here in Canada who have had theirs reshelled? Just wondering what the process looks like from a shipping perspective. I'm always a bit wary of international shipping with customs fees and everything.
I had mine done and live outside Toronto. I had standard impressions made and (now know) I had fit issues because of that. Anyway, I used DHL for shipping, that was recommended and that part went relatively smooth.

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #5,456 of 7,306
Oh, that is awesome. I sent UM a message that I'd like to begin the process and getting any info I need before I book an appointment for impressions.

I'm loving the MEST Mk2 so much that I told my wife this makes it my endgame. She groaned and said that it must be my sixth or seventh endgame now but I really mean it this time. The tuning of the Mk2 is exactly what I would describe if someone were to ask me what my perfect sound would be. Musical bass with just enough punch to be physical without being overpowering, smooth mids that give vocals a "singing to you" quality instead of just existing in the mix, highs that bite and give an aggressive edge when called for (guitar solos can sound other worldly) without being fatiguing.

The Soundstage is hands down the best I've heard from an IEM and on par with the best of the open-backs (the width of the SS wows me more than my HD800S did). Cymbals and HiHats are also the best I've ever heard from an IEM, that's always been the tricky part I found. DD's aren't adept enough at the high range to give the tizz that a closed HiHat needs and BAs alone have a weird tone for HHs. The BA/ES mix for the frequency range that covers HHs is perfect, get the hit sound from the BA but the reverberation and air from the ES.

Admittedly, I haven't heard any higher end units as my $1000+ experience with IEMs ends with these and the Andromeda S. I'm currently signed up for the Canadian tours for the EXT and Phonix, as well as the three new Fir Audio models but I'm considering dropping out. If I never hear them I can pretend that I'd like the Mk2 better than them anyway but on the other hand, if I stay in and get them and don't find them compelling over the Mk2 it's better for the "grass is greener" syndrome in the long run.
I feel the same! Got them customized to stop that chase. I don’t need to hear anything else, I’m super happy with my MKii!

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #5,459 of 7,306
For me, Final Type E is more comfortable than the TWS variant and isn't nearly as fatiguing. The wide bore on the TWS is just big enough to cause discomfort in my tiny ear canals. Whereas the wide bore on the EP01 doesn't trigger any discomfort.

As of now, Final Type E = EP01 >> Final TWS. I have some EarTune Fidelity U tips coming tomorrow. So I'll update my preferences then.

Apr 6, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #5,460 of 7,306
For me, Final Type E is more comfortable than the TWS variant and isn't nearly as fatiguing. The wide bore on the TWS is just big enough to cause discomfort in my tiny ear canals. Whereas the wide bore on the EP01 doesn't trigger any discomfort.

As of now, Final Type E = EP01 >> Final TWS. I have some EarTune Fidelity U tips coming tomorrow. So I'll update my preferences then.
Good point. Not only do we all have different tastes in music, but we hear things differently and our anatomies are all different as well. It's amazing that we hear things similarly!! 😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back