Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #4,952 of 7,306
Hello, hoping someone can help me out here with direction? I've been in contact with Unique Melody about shipping my Mest Mkii back for a custom tip fitting. The address provided is in Macau and they've stated that I need to prepay the return shipping. I contacted UPS and they don't seem to provide this service so I'm hoping someone who has gone through this process can share how they managed it? I'm in Canada, as an FYI. Thanks for any guidance!
Hi, Sorry i don't know about your shipping issue but, i own MEST MK2 and didn't know they take them back for
They've quoted $280.00 to have it done
Thank you, not to bad, I thought it would be about $200-$250 so i wasn't far off!
Gives me something to think about?
I have the LEAR-Kalideo in custom and i love the fit but am not sure about the sound, it sounds less warm more clinical! But i don't have the universal Kalideo to compare so not sure if the custom changes the sound? I would be REALLY Intrested on your impressions of sound between the two once you recieve the custom in comparison to the universal?
Thanx in advance appreciate it very much.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #4,953 of 7,306
Hi, Sorry i don't know about your shipping issue but, i own MEST MK2 and didn't know they take them back for

Thank you, not to bad, I thought it would be about $200-$250 so i wasn't far off!
Gives me something to think about?
I have the LEAR-Kalideo in custom and i love the fit but am not sure about the sound, it sounds less warm more clinical! But i don't have the universal Kalideo to compare so not sure if the custom changes the sound? I would be REALLY Intrested on your impressions of sound between the two once you recieve the custom in comparison to the universal?
Thanx in advance appreciate it very much.
Thanks, I’m a little on the fence about it myself. Honestly find it hard to believe they will sound better but, if nothing else the extra comfort for fit will be good. Also hoping this will stop me from changing IEM’s so fast as I’m stuck with these! Figured out the shipping BTW. Must have had a bad UPS agent on the first go around🤣

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #4,955 of 7,306
Hello, hoping someone can help me out here with direction? I've been in contact with Unique Melody about shipping my Mest Mkii back for a custom tip fitting. The address provided is in Macau and they've stated that I need to prepay the return shipping. I contacted UPS and they don't seem to provide this service so I'm hoping someone who has gone through this process can share how they managed it? I'm in Canada, as an FYI. Thanks for any guidance!
DHL maybe?

Shipping to Macau is probably a good thing because UM is just across the border from Macau in Zhuhai, China. Customs in China is crazy slow right now. I have a repair item for iBasso stuck for 4 weeks now and all I can do is wait...

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,956 of 7,306
I have just had my Mestmk2 back from UM after conversion to custom, shipping via DHL to Macau worked smoothly

The only difference is I didn’t have to prepay for return shipping

Jan 8, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #4,957 of 7,306
I have just had my Mestmk2 back from UM after conversion to custom, shipping via DHL to Macau worked smoothly

Your impressions on the difference in sound after the conversion?

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #4,958 of 7,306
Your impressions on the difference in sound after the conversion?
+1 on this highly intrested
Thanks, I’m a little on the fence about it myself. Honestly find it hard to believe they will sound better but, if nothing else the extra comfort for fit will be good. Also hoping this will stop me from changing IEM’s so fast as I’m stuck with these! Figured out the shipping BTW. Must have had a bad UPS agent on the first go around🤣
Yes i understand what you mean and the Conversion stopping you from constantly changing iem's is simple but ingenious lol
Super glad you sorted out shipping and eagerly awaiting your impressions.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #4,959 of 7,306
I forgot to mention?
Unlike my Kalideo the HUGE thing your gonna gain gain with the custom MEST is skin contact which will heighten the effect of the bone conduction effect immensely!
This alone is worth the asking price let alone the added comfort & isolation!
The more i think about it the more i think its the best way to go! Decisions decisions?

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,961 of 7,306

Thanks, that’s good to know! I’ll check out DHL too. I was a little surprised about the return shipping but maybe I’m misunderstanding what he was saying. I’ll follow up. Would love get your impression with the custom fit.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #4,963 of 7,306
My second set of customs fromUM, the fit is excellent
Similar to my experience. Both the Mest 2 and Fusang customs fit beautifully. The Mest2 was a straight off customs, while the Fusang was sent back for reshelling. :)

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #4,964 of 7,306
Well, I use some DSP effect with my FW-modded Sony WM1Z with the MEST.
The one I use is their DSEE HX AI; it does nothing with files that are already hi-res, but improves the sound of 16-bit FLAC files a bit and can drastically improve the sound of some mp3 files, especially the lower-res ones, all using artificial intelligence-based algorithms and stuff to make the file sound more like a hi-res file.

I've got a bunch of Chinese pop music tracks, taken from friends years ago.
I've yet to figure out any way of finding them in FLAC format, let alone hi-res (if they are even available anywhere in that format!).
If anyone knows, please PM me. Seriously, I'm begging you, haha

But yeah, some of them are as low as 128kbps mp3 :anguished:
But thank heavens for the DSEE HX AI function; it opens up the soundstage and separation, brings clarity, smooths away the roughness and brings out the fine details too.
It's transformative, especially so on the MEST.
I haven't noticed any deleterious effects or weirdness in the soundstage.
One can imagine that by now Sony very much know what they're doing in this regards.

This might be a different experience to those using such effects on other DAPs or mobile phones though.
But yeah, that's been my experience so far; hope this helps! :)
Are they Mandarin or Cantonese pop songs? I've got GBs of the stuff and could have a browse for you. Send me a DM...

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #4,965 of 7,306
Similar to my experience. Both the Mest 2 and Fusang customs fit beautifully. The Mest2 was a straight off customs, while the Fusang was sent back for reshelling. :)
Good to hear thanks! It sounds like I will hit Chinese New Year during my process so it will likely be 5+ weeks without them. It will be a good practice of my patience. Already wishing it was over….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back