Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Dec 4, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #4,651 of 7,365
How is Monarch MKII soundstage and imaging compared to Mest MKII?
Well, maybe it's just my ears, but the Monarch MKII seems a bit smaller and more intimate than the Mest MKII (using the same silicone tips on each). With the Mest MKII I get more of this sense of 3D with sounds almost floating around outside my head, or maybe what people mean when they describe the Andromeda as holographic (haven't heard that IEM). So the Mest feels bigger and more expansive somehow.

Coming back fresh to the Monarch MKII this morning it does sound very nice and balanced. Clear and articulate, but somehow feels less dynamic and more flat than I expected, whereas the Mest has more of that dynamic planar feel I get from the Audeze stuff I have. Overall the Mest MKII initially is just feeling more exciting, emotional, and larger than life. As a reference for mixing I don't necessarily need that quality (and some argue that an exaggerated soundstage can actually be a bad thing for mixing), but I'll be damned if it's not fun to listen to! 😝

Perhaps Monarch's strength is in its transparency and honesty though? Hmmmm 🤔. This is only my second session with them so I definitely need to give them both more time this weekend.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #4,652 of 7,365
Well, maybe it's just my ears, but the Monarch MKII seems a bit smaller and more intimate than the Mest MKII (using the same silicone tips on each). With the Mest MKII I get more of this sense of 3D with sounds almost floating around outside my head, or maybe what people mean when they describe the Andromeda as holographic (haven't heard that IEM). So the Mest feels bigger and more expansive somehow.

Coming back fresh to the Monarch MKII this morning it does sound very nice and balanced. Clear and articulate, but somehow feels less dynamic and more flat than I expected, whereas the Mest has more of that dynamic planar feel I get from the Audeze stuff I have. Overall the Mest MKII initially is just feeling more exciting, emotional, and larger than life. As a reference for mixing I don't necessarily need that quality (and some argue that an exaggerated soundstage can actually be a bad thing for mixing), but I'll be damned if it's not fun to listen to! 😝

Perhaps Monarch's strength is in its transparency and honesty though? Hmmmm 🤔. This is only my second session with them so I definitely need to give them both more time this weekend.
Thank you for impressions.
I am still surprised there are people, you included, who think that iem can produce exaggerated soundstage?
I must be missing the point here. Every half decent HP beats iem in that regard, especially open backs. Are they not used for music producing either? I thought the bigger the soundstage and better imaging, the better/easier to work with mixing producing?

I personally think soundstage and imaging qualities are top technical priorities.
Or if iems have just above average stage they have to make it up with good imaging.

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #4,653 of 7,365
Indigo has landed :)
1310148C-0C42-42F2-9FE3-499D2952B522.jpeg

Initial impressions - they sound pretty similar to MK2 from memory, but with a better sense of cohesion as others have already noted. I do like the slightly pulled back treble, it’s not as jarring and gives a better sense of balance between the frequencies. The soundstage and imaging is top notch (as expected!). Love the design. Looks better in person than photos.

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #4,654 of 7,365

Initial impressions - they sound pretty similar to MK2 from memory, but with a better sense of cohesion as others have already noted. I do like the slightly pulled back treble, it’s not as jarring and gives a better sense of balance between the frequencies. The soundstage and imaging is top notch (as expected!). Love the design. Looks better in person than photos.
💞Beauties💞

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #4,655 of 7,365

Looks good, my friend! If not for fact that I already the Mest 2 customs which resolves the issues that plague the universal, this would be tempting. :)

Dec 4, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #4,656 of 7,365

They are pretty hard to shoot due to how they are built. lot of angles, lot of reflection. Your right shell (left on the picture) is beautiful.

Dec 4, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #4,657 of 7,365
Thank you for impressions.
I am still surprised there are people, you included, who think that iem can produce exaggerated soundstage?
I must be missing the point here. Every half decent HP beats iem in that regard, especially open backs. Are they not used for music producing either? I thought the bigger the soundstage and better imaging, the better/easier to work with mixing producing?

I personally think soundstage and imaging qualities are top technical priorities.
Or if iems have just above average stage they have to make it up with good imaging.
Well, personally I haven't experienced what I would consider an exaggerated soundstage before and I haven't determined that a wider soundstage would be problematic, but I think that some feel judgement on panning decisions might be harder if the soundstage makes things seem wider or further apart than a typical system. Some mix engineers also argue that headphones aren't ideal to mix on because they exaggerate the L/R perspective compared to speakers and exaggerate reverb compared to speakers. I don't feel these are really a big deal personally, and you could argue that many listeners are using headphones or earbuds a lot anyway.

I'm mostly looking for a roughly neutral FR, good low frequency extension, and good imaging to hear small details and flaws, but I do enjoy the Mest's soundstage and don't feel it's too exaggerated for mixing and mastering or would hinder mix translation to other systems.

Dec 5, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4,658 of 7,365
This is new…MEXT from Unique Melody. Estimated price, around 1k USD.

Seems to be a more affordable offering with a more engaging, thunderous sound. Possibly successor to Mini MEST

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/MLSO55obtBk4TRJmuj_PkQ

ROUGH Translation:

UM has launched a new product with high cost to performance, after years of technological development. Introducing MEXT, with new experience of different bone conduction technology, the shock is more fierce. MEXT not only uses air conduction but also bone conduction. As the conduction mode of sound, balanced armature, moving coil and coil type. The combination of OBC bone conduction creates an all-round sense of space and Vibration sense. Whether it's single-vibration or double-vibration and the current coil type OBC bone conduction technology, UM has always been second to none and has a unique specialty. Lee, even if the technology can be imitated, the sound cannot be surpassed.

MEXT is conducted by 1 coil OBC bone, 4 balanced armatures, 1 DD. Vibration (bone?) conduction bandwidth can reach 200Hz-7kHZ, with The characteristics of conduction instantaneous speed and rich sound. Vibration conduction sensitivity pole High, peak up to @400Hz 79m•N. OBC bone conduction sheet Meta makes the low frequency more explosive and infectious in low-frequency compensation. Seamless connection of ring iron and bone conduction units makes MEXT sound Zhang Chi is powerful.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.33.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.20 PM.png

OBC, also known as Original Bone Conduction It is a coil-type bone conduction unit. As we all know, UM was the first to Bone conduction technology is used in audio companies with high-end earphones. Starting from the MEST generation, air conduction and bone conduction are combined. With this combination, the sound delivers a unique quality and effect.

OBC adopts high magnetic N52 neodymium magnets with imported high toughness. Vibrating steel sheet and high-purity copper wire park, made by low-temperature welding process Made of it. High-quality neodymium magnets have been continuously tested and screened. The bone conduction unit adopts a lightweight design, which is lightweight, wear-resistant and conductive. Good performance, low-temperature welding process maintains a very high yield and single Metastability and accuracy. Each BC unit is seeking excellence. It is completed in exquisite ingenuity.

The OBC unit is placed deeper and close to the earbone. Instantaneous induction vibration Move, vibration is moderate, and it will not be caused by the length of wearing. Suitable. The headphones are ergonomically designed, and the shell is small and ergonomic. Comfortable and suitable for a wide range of people.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.38 PM.png

MEXT's UM Copper M1 headphone cable is made by Hong Kong PW Audio. The wire is soft and exquisite in workmanship. The black iem shell is matched with black wire, and the color matching is simple and comfortable. The conductor is OFHC copper wire, the sound is natural and transparent, without burrs. Combined with MEXT, this reflects the wonderful vibration of the new bone conduction technology. Incisive and vivid.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #4,659 of 7,365

Seems to be a more affordable offering with a more engaging, thunderous sound. Possibly successor to Mini MEST

ROUGH Translation:

UM has launched a new product with high cost to performance, after years of technological development. Introducing MEXT, with new experience of different bone conduction technology, the shock is more fierce. MEXT not only uses air conduction but also bone conduction. As the conduction mode of sound, balanced armature, moving coil and coil type. The combination of OBC bone conduction creates an all-round sense of space and Vibration sense. Whether it's single-vibration or double-vibration and the current coil type OBC bone conduction technology, UM has always been second to none and has a unique specialty. Lee, even if the technology can be imitated, the sound cannot be surpassed.

MEXT is conducted by 1 coil OBC bone, 4 balanced armatures, 1 DD. Vibration (bone?) conduction bandwidth can reach 200Hz-7kHZ, with The characteristics of conduction instantaneous speed and rich sound. Vibration conduction sensitivity pole High, peak up to @400Hz 79m•N. OBC bone conduction sheet Meta makes the low frequency more explosive and infectious in low-frequency compensation. Seamless connection of ring iron and bone conduction units makes MEXT sound Zhang Chi is powerful.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.33.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.20 PM.png

OBC, also known as Original Bone Conduction It is a coil-type bone conduction unit. As we all know, UM was the first to Bone conduction technology is used in audio companies with high-end earphones. Starting from the MEST generation, air conduction and bone conduction are combined. With this combination, the sound delivers a unique quality and effect.

OBC adopts high magnetic N52 neodymium magnets with imported high toughness. Vibrating steel sheet and high-purity copper wire park, made by low-temperature welding process Made of it. High-quality neodymium magnets have been continuously tested and screened. The bone conduction unit adopts a lightweight design, which is lightweight, wear-resistant and conductive. Good performance, low-temperature welding process maintains a very high yield and single Metastability and accuracy. Each BC unit is seeking excellence. It is completed in exquisite ingenuity.

The OBC unit is placed deeper and close to the earbone. Instantaneous induction vibration Move, vibration is moderate, and it will not be caused by the length of wearing. Suitable. The headphones are ergonomically designed, and the shell is small and ergonomic. Comfortable and suitable for a wide range of people.

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.34.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.35.38 PM.png

MEXT's UM Copper M1 headphone cable is made by Hong Kong PW Audio. The wire is soft and exquisite in workmanship. The black iem shell is matched with black wire, and the color matching is simple and comfortable. The conductor is OFHC copper wire, the sound is natural and transparent, without burrs. Combined with MEXT, this reflects the wonderful vibration of the new bone conduction technology. Incisive and vivid.

Is that a defaced Legend Evo I see next to the MEXT ?

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #4,661 of 7,365
Dec 5, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #4,662 of 7,365

ROUGH Translation:

This dragon (?) image ohh my looks great !!!
Shelved EVO i guess haha and the Saga continues haha !!! (popcorn ready and waiting with excitement 😁)

Dec 5, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #4,665 of 7,365
LMAO. Those 3 vents are very very familiar.

This is going to be fun. I can already see a Fusang with w9+ coming out
I think the OBC driver is for the more affordable sets (if I read the article correctly). The flagship sets will likely use the dBC driver (implemented in the faceplate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back