Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 9, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #2,656 of 7,306
One off topic: I like the JVC Dot++ on IER-M9. More reveling high.

Still waiting your comprehensive M9 vs MKII? Or you think its an complement?

I think I mentioned before that I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to articulate the technical components to meet what folks typically expect to draw comparisons but some relatively layman thoughts below. In addition, I don't think I've had enough time still - I feel I would need at least four weeks to properly get to know the MKII. I've found with new IEMs I tend to reach for my best sounding albums, ideally hi-res - only after the honeymoon period do I become more curious to test other albums.

The most obvious immediate difference is soundstage, the MKII is far superior. It sounds so much more lively and exciting but still refined, I suspect the delivery of highs via BC making a big difference - plus the lows are better too but absolutely not too excessive (except when I tried Final Tips). I feel from a timbre perspective they have similarities but the MKII soundstage makes for a much more engaging experience, pretty mind-blowing really. I thought initially that the highs might be a bit too much on the MKII, but this settled, most likely coming from a comparatively warmer IEM in the M9. I have had no fatigue with the MKII - happy to listen to them for hours, likewise the M9. The fit is great on both, but I'd possibly lean a bit towards the M9, I love how they sit in my ears and the cable is fantastic.

Its interesting that when I switch from the MKII to the M9, my initial sense is there is a big 'drop' in SQ but after a few minutes I settle in to the M9 signature, I again love its warm and intimate delivery - a very refined IEM but does feel initially suffocated as the soundstage narrows so much. Which do I prefer? - 100% the MKII, absolutely the superior IEM, no question about it for me at this stage anyway and the price difference more than justified. I believe the M9 has a place to stay in my collection, even as I type now, they've been back in my ears for the last 20 mins or so and I still love them. I think it's fair to say they are a complimentary IEM that deliver another type of listening experience.

Up to the MKII, the M9 had been my go-to favourite IEM as an all-rounder - my more 'exciting' set were the DUNU ZEN, and I'd dip into them mostly for more upbeat albums of an electronic nature, but I found them fatiguing after longer sessions. I still need to do some comparisons on the DUNU SA6 but right now, I'm not sure where either of the DUNU fit in the collection, concerned at this point they will gather dust... the SA6 got at least twice the listening time of the ZEN due to their more neutral sound, but the M9 covers this!

Anyway, in summary and at this point only one week in, the MKII are the best earphones I have ever heard and quite obviously, if I could keep only one set, it would be them. My sense as noted is that the M9 can hold a place in my collection and I feel that will become more evident over time as I get to know the MKII better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #2,657 of 7,306
I was going to say this. :) MEST MKii scales up wonderfully with C9.
Thank you, how is hiss and battery and general usage, convenience.
I wonder if it is an upgrade to BX2 though..

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #2,658 of 7,306
Thank you, how is hiss and battery and general usage, convenience.
I wonder if it is an upgrade to BX2 though..
No hiss with IEMs so long as they are not the ultra-sensitive ones like CFA or Odin. With those, an iFi IEMatch may solve the hiss issue.

I got pretty good battery life - about 5-6 hours per charge. It is somewhat big and heavy but nowhere near something like WA8. Moving from place to place with it in hand is OK. Traveling with it is surely fine - I have used it on a recent flight. I think the best selling point is its versatility: tube+SS, class A&AB, the ability to perform very well with both IEMs and headphones.

People have compared BX2 and C9 but using headphones. I quote @Nostoi:

“A brief thought on the C9 vs BX2 Plus, as a few people were curious.

There's no doubt to me that the C9 drives the ZMF VC as well as the BX2 Plus, despite having less output power than the BX2 Plus. I think ultimately the choice would come down to budget and taste. The BX2 Plus has a more linear tuning - a reference tuning. The C9's SS mode seems to have a little more weight to it. Ostensibly, the C9 is "better" on all fronts (technically, in terms of implementation, build, features, etc), but it should be at the price. That said, as a SS portable amp, the BX2 Plus remains a fantastic amp.”

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,659 of 7,306
I think I mentioned before that I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to articulate the technical components to meet what folks typically expect to draw comparisons but some relatively layman thoughts below. In addition, I don't think I've had enough time still - I feel I would need at least four weeks to properly get to know the MKII. I've found with new IEMs I tend to reach for my best sounding albums, ideally hi-res - only after the honeymoon period do I become more curious to test other albums.

The most obvious immediate difference is soundstage, the MKII is far superior. It sounds so much more lively and exciting but still refined, I suspect the delivery of highs via BC making a big difference - plus the lows are better too but absolutely not too excessive (except when I tried Final Tips). I feel from a timbre perspective they have similarities but the MKII soundstage makes for a much more engaging experience, pretty mind-blowing really. I thought initially that the highs might be a bit too much on the MKII, but this settled, most likely coming from a comparatively warmer IEM in the M9. I have had no fatigue with the MKII - happy to listen to them for hours, likewise the M9. The fit is great on both, but I'd possibly lean a bit towards the M9, I love how they sit in my ears and the cable is fantastic.

Its interesting that when I switch from the MKII to the M9, my initial sense is there is a big 'drop' in SQ but after a few minutes I settle in to the M9 signature, I again love its warm and intimate delivery - a very refined IEM but does feel initially suffocated as the soundstage narrows so much. Which do I prefer? - 100% the MKII, absolutely the superior IEM, no question about it for me at this stage anyway and the price difference more than justified. I believe the M9 has a place to stay in my collection, even as I type now, they've been back in my ears for the last 20 mins or so and I still love them. I think it's fair to say they are a complimentary IEM that deliver another type of listening experience.

Up to the MKII, the M9 had been my go-to favourite IEM as an all-rounder - my more 'exciting' set were the DUNU ZEN, and I'd dip into them mostly for more upbeat albums of an electronic nature, but I found them fatiguing after longer sessions. I still need to do some comparisons on the DUNU SA6 but right now, I'm not sure where either of the DUNU fit in the collection, concerned at this point they will gather dust... the SA6 got at least twice the listening time of the ZEN due to their more neutral sound, but the M9 covers this!

Anyway, in summary and at this point only one week in, the MKII are the best earphones I have ever heard and quite obviously, if I could keep only one set, it would be them. My sense as noted is that the M9 can hold a place in my collection and I feel that will become more evident over time as I get to know the MKII better.
🙏

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,660 of 7,306
No hiss with IEMs so long as they are not the ultra-sensitive ones like CFA or Odin. With those, an iFi IEMatch may solve the hiss issue.

I got pretty good battery life - about 5-6 hours per charge. It is somewhat big and heavy but nowhere near something like WA8. Moving from place to place with it in hand is OK. Traveling with it is surely fine - I have used it on a recent flight. I think the best selling point is its versatility: tube+SS, class A&AB, the ability to perform very well with both IEMs and headphones.

People have compared BX2 and C9 but using headphones. I quote @Nostoi:

“A brief thought on the C9 vs BX2 Plus, as a few people were curious.

There's no doubt to me that the C9 drives the ZMF VC as well as the BX2 Plus, despite having less output power than the BX2 Plus. I think ultimately the choice would come down to budget and taste. The BX2 Plus has a more linear tuning - a reference tuning. The C9's SS mode seems to have a little more weight to it. Ostensibly, the C9 is "better" on all fronts (technically, in terms of implementation, build, features, etc), but it should be at the price. That said, as a SS portable amp, the BX2 Plus remains a fantastic amp.”
Oh i didn't know Odin was sensitive, Legend X wasn't, i have Dorado20, but doubt will be using with C9 as i wouldn't with BX2.
Sounds great really, thanks for the thorough answer, i also have W11, but its not usable with P6Pro and i have a feeling the R2R dac and C9 will be quite a match

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #2,661 of 7,306
Oh i didn't know Odin was sensitive, Legend X wasn't, i have Dorado20, but doubt will be using with C9 as i wouldn't with BX2.
Sounds great really, thanks for the thorough answer, i also have W11, but its not usable with P6Pro and i have a feeling the R2R dac and C9 will be quite a match
Yes indeed. In fact, I have seen several P6 Pro + C9 users and with IEMs.
7AB4DAB9-E15C-45E4-8D17-A706CBEF0AD9.jpeg
1A477178-94CB-4E79-B265-928C98B87087.jpeg
7D16C6D2-6072-4484-A5C7-0DCBAD70AE06.jpeg
BA21019E-5B2D-47CC-8052-E40DA08C9EFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #2,662 of 7,306
Apr 9, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,663 of 7,306

Thanks so much for your time and efforts. I'll definitely pull the trigger for MKII then. Really want to try the soundstage miracle.

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #2,666 of 7,306

Wonderful writeup! Just out of curiosity: what are some of those "best-sounding albums" you reach for when testing new IEMs? Or, to keep it more on-topic: which of those albums really shine on the MEST?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #2,667 of 7,306
I ordered the most expensive 1-day shipping and I should be receiving it Monday. I know this is 1st world problems, but Jesus the wait is too much! I've been TOTALLY spoiled by Amazon. Why is it not in my hands already after I clicked order?

Apr 10, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #2,669 of 7,306
Does anyone here by chance have had experience or could compare/contrast the Anole VX vs. Mest Mk2 (or Mest OG)?

Really curious about how they stack up and if you had the chance to listen to either — which would be your personal preference, if price was not a consideration between the two.
I'm not an expert on audio so don't take my opinions too seriously. I own both IEMs (VX and Mk2) and had a MEST OG and have compared them. Here's what I think:

Bass: Mk2 (and MEST OG, though I prefer the subbass lift on Mk2) over VX. It's not even a contest between the 2. The dynamic driver decay and slam makes a huge difference over VX's BA setup. VX's note weight and "crispy" tone is also detrimental to its bass performance.

Mids: VX > MK2 > OG MEST. There is no sense of sharpness throughout the entire midrange on the VX and I personally enjoy VX's slightly recessed midrange. As for the MK2, it has its upper midrange brought slightly forward in comparison to the OG and its lower mids being fairly similar (I'll need to a/b to be sure). For me, the forwardness of the upper mids makes some vocals sound more intimate which is an advantage over the OG. However, the lower midrange can sound quite sharp compared to VX, especially for piano hits and some male vocals.

Treble: VX = MK2 > OG mest. I'm not a treble head so VX and MK2, while wildly different in terms of their treble extensions and peaks/dips, sound equally good to me. The OG mest definitely had sharpness to it and can be very fatiguing after a while. MK2 fixes that issue and for me and significantly outperforms the OG in this area.

Soundstage and imaging: MK2 = OG MEST > VX. This is the strongest point of both variations of MEST. Its soundstage is truly holographic. You hear things from behind you and outside your head. I'd venture to say that their staging performances transcend IEMs. While the VX performs pretty well in terms of depth, it's not even a contest. The imaging sounds more accurate on the MK2 than the OG MEST, perhaps just slightly. VX has some imaging issues.

Timbre: MK2 = OG mest > VX. I'm not a big fan of VX's "metallic" timbre and its crispiness. Simply put, the VX does not sound very natural at all. It is still alright on most jpop tracks but when I'm listening to instrumentals, I much prefer the timbre of the MESTs.

There was a lack of coherency in the OG mest and I feel like this issue has improved for the MK2 but it still sounds a little incoherent. No coherency issues with VX.

Resolution: VX > MK2 = OG mest. Simply put, the VX is the most resolving IEM I've heard and it presents its details right in your face. The MESTs are no slouches in this department but their resolution is probably more comparable to a U12T. VX is just a cut above in sheer resolving ability.

Fit: VX > MK2 > OG mest. QDC has the best universal shell in any IEM that I've tried. Not even close. MK2 has significantly improved the fit vs the OG mest so if you've had issues with fit for the OG mest or your ears are smaller, MK2 will probably solve that but not as comfortable or snug as VX.

Ever since I've gotten the MK2, I've not really listened to the VX much outside of A/B. My current preference leans towards the MK2 but I'm sure I'll go back to using the VX since I'm probably one of few people to find its tonality not fatiguing.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #2,670 of 7,306
Hi is there anyone who had the privilege of comparing the Hong Kong version with mest OG or even MKII? asking this because I am leaning towards the recessed 2 pin sockets and overall aesthetics. If the difference isnt major I may pull the trigger on the HK version. Please share if anyone has tried the HONG KONG version. Saw an earlier post in this thread on HK version but not much was shared though. Thank you so much and appreciate this heaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back