Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Oct 23, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #961 of 7,365
I agree, I found the Sony S tips worked the best for a deep fit for me too. And that really fixed the overly energetic highs I’ve experienced when I used other tips. Though I’m still curious about the JP version. I still wanna hear it someday. Though I’m getting quite a nice deep fit. It’s not as comfortable as I’d like. (This is surprising to me since every other earphone in my collection Z1R included fits comfortably in my ears. )
agree, my Z1r fit me more comfortably than the MEST too. You would think the opposite given the sony's weight

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #962 of 7,365
@tinkofse Great to see how pleased you are with your customs!
When you have time, could you go into more detail in your comparison between the MEST and the EJ07? How does the soundstage (in all dimensions) compare between the two? Would you say the MEST have considerably more high-end definition? Ultimately, to someone who does not need another pair of earphones but is jonesing for a more 3D presentation, would you say the MEST represent a 50% improvement on the EJ07? (price over here has the MEST at about 50% more than the Shuoers. I'm not asking if they're worth the extra money (confident that you feel they are) but asking if the improvement is that dramatic)

Big thanks in advance for any more light you can shed on the comparison between these two. Finally pushed my lovely and VERY understanding wife to the point where yet another pair of earphones is somewhat problematic (she's not wrong either)!!!

Thanks for the questions. If by "high-end definition," you mean upper frequency, then yes, the MEST definitely has noticeably more than the EJ07. @redrol has suggested, by some custom deep-fit tips he has made for the universal EJ07, that the EJ07 may be capable of such in a custom version (or at least this is how I read him), so that's of course also a possibility. But as is, the answer is yes.

Soundstage wise, they are comparable. Both truly immersive.

I would certainly not say the MEST is 50% better than the EJ07. The rule-of-thumb is that the higher you go price-wise, the less and less (percentage-wise, especially) any perceived improvements will be. But even aside from that, I do not think the MEST is any percentage "better" than the EJ07, which would require a stable criterion of absolute value along which different-tiered sets could confidently be placed. They are very different from each other, but I think I'd have a hard time saying one is superior in some all-around way. Bass? I like MEST more for it. Mids? EJ07. But neither are weak in either of those departments. If you know you particularly want high-frequency definition, however, go with MEST. For me, it should be said, there are times (and tracks) where high-frequency augmentation distracts or fatigues me. This is why I'll want a custom EJ07 to complement my MEST.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #963 of 7,365
Tiger Ears will soon be able to have hes very sensitive ears paired with the mest and have a good feedback for you guys of how this beauty sounds 😛😜

Will it get the tiger claw mark as a Tiger aproval.
will see hehe

🐅🐾🌿

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #964 of 7,365
I would certainly not say the MEST is 50% better than the EJ07. The rule-of-thumb is that the higher you go price-wise, the less and less (percentage-wise, especially) any perceived improvements will be. But even aside from that, I do not think the MEST is any percentage "better" than the EJ07, which would require a stable criterion of absolute value along which different-tiered sets could confidently be placed. They are very different from each other, but I think I'd have a hard time saying one is superior in some all-around way. Bass? I like MEST more for it. Mids? EJ07. But neither are weak in either of those departments. If you know you particularly want high-frequency definition, however, go with MEST. For me, it should be said, there are times (and tracks) where high-frequency augmentation distracts or fatigues me. This is why I'll want a custom EJ07 to complement my MEST.
I guessed this would be your response. I very much agree in general (I’ve never actually heard the EJ07). Once you get to a certain level, such as this, it‘s a matter of specific desired traits that will lead one to decide on which IEM to get. They both have specific strengths and weaker points, and it’s a matter of personal preferences, Neither is actually “better”.

I do think the MEST is a treblehead‘s dream IEM, but the midrange isn’t as full and lush as on many other IEMs, so I can certainly see someone liking the EJ07 or Monarch more than the MEST. The UIEM has even more pronounced treble relative to the midrange than the CIEM version, which seems to have a very well extended, but not boosted treble.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #965 of 7,365
agree, my Z1r fit me more comfortably than the MEST too. You would think the opposite given the sony's weight
Honestly lol

The MEST is soooo light compared to the Z1R, but the latter is just quite a bit more comfortable to my ears.
They both fit really well in my ears, but there's just something about the MEST that my ears feel a little weird with.

Here are photo comparisons of both in my ears.

20200813_033329.jpg
20200813_033430.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #966 of 7,365
Honestly lol

The MEST is soooo light compared to the Z1R, but the latter is just quite a bit more comfortable to my ears.
They both fit really well in my ears, but there's just something about the MEST that my ears feel a little weird with.

Here are photo comparisons of both in my ears.

20200813_033329.jpg20200813_033430.jpg
IMG_0377.jpgIMG_0365.jpg

Z1r looks way more snug tight. Just by the size it seems that z1r would be less comfortable and crate more hot spots.
Um seem quiet smooth and rounded.

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #967 of 7,365
Z1r looks way more snug tight. Just by the size it seems that z1r would be less comfortable and crate more hot spots.
Um seem quiet smooth and rounded.
I actually think it's the thickness of the nozzle and the depth of it that bothers my ears.
It was the same with the Noble Khan. (If I remember it correctly)

The shape of the JP MEST seems closer to Empire Ears Universals, and I've had an excellent fit with those.
So I'm hoping to grab one in the Future, or maybe a kind head-fier would lend me one for review and to take photos of as well lol

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #968 of 7,365
Thanks for the questions. If by "high-end definition," you mean upper frequency, then yes, the MEST definitely has noticeably more than the EJ07. @redrol has suggested, by some custom deep-fit tips he has made for the universal EJ07, that the EJ07 may be capable of such in a custom version (or at least this is how I read him), so that's of course also a possibility. But as is, the answer is yes.

Soundstage wise, they are comparable. Both truly immersive.

Thank you so much for the quick and thorough reply. Don't think I can demo the Shuoer, but going to listen to the MEST today. If there's not so much between them (dramatic and not entirely accurate synopsis of your points!) and the soundstage is very similar, then perhaps I can go Shuoer and have a clearer conscience and less peeved missus!

Really appreciate you taking the time and totally agree on the incremental increase in capability as the price goes up. I knew it was a ridiculous question but your answer told me exactly what I needed to know :)

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #970 of 7,365
DD1551C3-B794-4D9C-BAF4-30150D4E7071.jpeg

Just measured my universal set. Very happy with a channel matching.

I am actually thinking to keep mine since I don’t have many IEMs that presents Treble region like the MEST.
The MEST does everything well!

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #971 of 7,365
Just a heads up for folks that the stock cable is most likely a copper/silver hybrid.

The price Musicteck sells them individually for as well as the increased mid bass slam and impact present on it seems to reflect and such.

It lends itself to a more lively signature. I prefer a bit more laid back presentation that shows the technical chops of the MEST. So I got the Electech Prudence on mine.

Curious about other pair ups that y'all prefer.

@szore thoughs on the stock to Leo II?

Oct 24, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #972 of 7,365
Just a heads up for folks that the stock cable is most likely a copper/silver hybrid.

The price Musicteck sells them individually for as well as the increased mid bass slam and impact present on it seems to reflect and such.

It lends itself to a more lively signature. I prefer a bit more laid back presentation that shows the technical chops of the MEST. So I got the Electech Prudence on mine.

Curious about other pair ups that y'all prefer.

@szore thoughs on the stock to Leo II?
Yes, it's no secret, I despise the stock MEST cable. But I do not like any SPC cable. I can't imagine listening to the MEST without the Leonidas II. My next upgrade would be to pair the MEST with a Horus...

Oct 25, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #975 of 7,365
As a reluctant cable believer, I've just replaced the stock cable with an all copper cable and found the sound to be noticeably more enjoyable. To enjoy the stock cable I think you've got to be either a super treble head, or a foam tip user. (I don't care for Comply or foam and have currently settled on Sedna Earfit)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back